The Administration Thread

Boycie

32 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I guess that figure was taken from the Middlesbrough cost breakdown quoted here

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/money-go-hidden-costs-running-15860716

It says that Boro employ 90 staff at the stadium including ticket office, hospitality etc

Similar stadium, similar quotes I assume

They cannot be full time though. Ninety people full time in the ticket office? Or in hospitality ? That ain’t full time either. 

24 minutes ago, Curtains said:

No I want you to stop posting relentless negativity 

Why don't you find info on them then - I'm looking for stuff about Cook that's fairly current, the Wigan stuff is what comes up. I don't write the stuff.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why don't you find info on them then - I'm looking for stuff about Cook that's fairly current, the Wigan stuff is what comes up.

Go on then. I don't write the stuff in case you hadn't figured that out by the way.

You are digging it out. 
Do you want this takeover to fail 

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Think on Wiki it says he resigned after the new owners came in.

"However, Cook’s involvement has caused concern, with many Wigan fans keen to point out that he was the figure that brought Stanley Choi to the their club, which turned out to be a disaster."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/stay-well-clear-all-the-best-these-fans-react-as-further-details-emerge-in-potential-derby-county-takeover/

In 2018 the Whelan family sold the club to the Hong Kong-based International Entertainment Corporation (IEC). In a letter to the fans chairman David Sharpe confirmed that he along with Matthew Sharpe and non-executive director Garry Cook would resign from the board upon completion of the ownership transition. 

It was then in 2020 that IEC sold to Hong Kong-based Next Leader Fund. A few weeks later the club went into administration as as Next Leader Fund had refused to invest promised money. 

Gary Cook was there as the club got promoted from league one to the championship in 17/18. After that he resigned so from what I can see he is not responsible for anything that happened afterwards.

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

In 2018 the Whelan family sold the club to the Hong Kong-based International Entertainment Corporation (IEC). In a letter to the fans chairman David Sharpe confirmed that he along with Matthew Sharpe and non-executive director Garry Cook would resign from the board upon completion of the ownership transition. 

It was then in 2020 that IEC sold to Hong Kong-based Next Leader Fund. A few weeks later the club went into administration as as Next Leader Fund had refused to invest promised money. 

Gary Cook was there as the club got promoted from league one to the championship in 17/18. After that he resigned so from what I can see he is not responsible for anything that happened afterwards.

"DEAL broker Garry Cook is the man behind an American takeover bid at Derby.

The former Manchester City supremo, behind some major takeovers in the past, has found American financiers who want to rescue the Rams...

Morris has debts to pay to the tax man, former players and staff on top of the £17.5million owed to MSD Holdings.

Cook’s team have to sort out those problems in advance and show they have funds to keep the EFL happy."

The comments are in reply to Nixon's tweet in May last year.

From a piece written at his appointment:

"Garry Cook clearly has a lot of nous to bring to the table of the Wigan Athletic Board of Directors. However, it should be noted that Cook was appointed  at City by Thaksin Shinawatra and was instrumental in bringing in Sheikh Mansour’s money to buy the club, in poor financial shape at the time, for a figure around £150 m.

Latics supporters continue to speculate on the influence that Cook will have on the club. Is he there to provide the kinds of ideas that can move the club forward, developing  a strategic plan? Or is he there to make the club more marketable, then find suitable future investors? Is it a signal that the Whelan dynasty is nearing its end?"

https://threeamigoswigan.com/2017/05/26/garry-cook-and-the-next-chapter-for-wigan-athletic/

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

The new owner isnt going to be buying the club, but I am left wondering if the new owner doesnt choose to lower costs by ground sharing with another local club ie notts county, burton albion or chestfield.

Almost all of those costs listed above will still apply if we ground-share though, as they're almost all matchday costs, or at least matchday-related.  We will still need police, stewards, someone to sell tickets, paramedics and so on.  A club we ground-share with is not going to give those to us for free.  And we will presumably be paying them form of rent too. 

All ground-sharing does is massively reduce our major source of income. We are not going to get anywhere close to the ~25k we get now, not least because none of those grounds are big enough to hold that amount.

Things seem to be slipping away on the pitch so focus is back on every little revelation about CK or his team. As a result I've decided that I'm not going to wind myself into a tizz about what might possibly go wrong because there is nothing that I can do about it and we've all been a bundle of stress for months now without finding new reasons. CK has been named the preferred bidder and now has a period of exclusivity during which he will be looking for answers on some key issues and hopefully making some viable deals with HMRC and others.

Granted, there are lots of unknowns with CK and lack of clarity re the stadium is perhaps not helping matters in some fans minds, but MM was seemingly the perfect solution and that turned into an unmitigated disaster so I'm just going to see how it all pans out and judge it then. Who knows, this guy may be exactly what we need. Rooney certainly seems to want him involved.

A bit apprehensive ? Yep, as should we all be, there is a lot to still resolve before we are out the woods but all we can do for now is hope that CK is going to see this through in a way that gets us back on our feet with no/minimal additional damage and brings some desperately needed stability and positivity back to our club.

3 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Why would any rental from the council to the club cover all these costs? 

I'm not saying that the club would have to pick up the tab for everything, but it's a lot of extra expense for the council taxpayers otherwise.  And opens up a can (or pitch) of worms, e.g. Pitch repairs after egg-chasing / boxing / concerts - who pays or who decides what's an acceptable state of a football pitch?  There's a lot of hidden costs with running a football club which we all take for granted.  Council ownership of the stadium might be a short-term (cheap) fix, but PPS should be an asset of the club which we take pride in. I'm sure we have 100% faith in the council!

3 minutes ago, RamBeauIV said:

I'm not saying that the club would have to pick up the tab for everything, but it's a lot of extra expense for the council taxpayers otherwise.  And opens up a can (or pitch) of worms, e.g. Pitch repairs after egg-chasing / boxing / concerts - who pays or who decides what's an acceptable state of a football pitch?  There's a lot of hidden costs with running a football club which we all take for granted.  Council ownership of the stadium might be a short-term (cheap) fix, but PPS should be an asset of the club which we take pride in. I'm sure we have 100% faith in the council!

And your solution is !

31 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

They cannot be full time though. Ninety people full time in the ticket office? Or in hospitality ? That ain’t full time either. 

I wonder if they're including non-matchday hospitality type stuff in there - corporate events hosting etc.  Their website claims they have events staff, in-house catering, IT support staff and so on.