Villa

Dean (hick) Saunders

2 minutes ago, David said:

Would be surprised if Steven Gerrard took the job, favourite for it apparently.

Contract expires at Rangers the same time as Klopp's at Liverpool.

Keep Rangers in a title challenge until then and the job at Liverpool will be his, no interview required.

Goes to Villa, struggles to lift them, will start to be questioned if he's ready for a top job, which would be unfair given the resources would be totally different up at Liverpool.

Maybe someone like Lampard or Martinez a better fit. 

20 minutes ago, David said:

Would be surprised if Steven Gerrard took the job, favourite for it apparently.

Contract expires at Rangers the same time as Klopp's at Liverpool.

Keep Rangers in a title challenge until then and the job at Liverpool will be his, no interview required.

Goes to Villa, struggles to lift them, will start to be questioned if he's ready for a top job, which would be unfair given the resources would be totally different up at Liverpool.

I would be astonished if Liverpool took Gerard only on the back of what he's 'achieved' at Rangers. The risk would be that he'd just turn into the new Solskjaer or Lampard.

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I would be astonished if Liverpool took Gerard only on the back of what he's 'achieved' at Rangers. The risk would be that he'd just turn into the new Solskjaer or Lampard.

I see what you mean, but with the pressure of expectation at Rangers, could it be argued he has already achieved more than both of them?

Also, are there signs Klopp is going to finish then?

For Gerard, not sure the move to Villa really would strengthen his case unless he emulates Moyes at West Ham or something similarly dramatic.  Big risk, but then he could stay at Rangers too long. 

Edited by Andrew3000

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Really? Think he could have stayed there as youth coach and still got the job.

Would be hard to replace Klopp, the guy is a legend up there now, I don't see anyone out there that could come close to replacing him.

Replace him with another legend and you have the fans on board at least.

Think it's the most nailed on appointment in football right now 

40 minutes ago, David said:

Would be hard to replace Klopp, the guy is a legend up there now, I don't see anyone out there that could come close to replacing him.

Besides Rooney getting the United job my Ole gets the boot. 

57 minutes ago, David said:

Liverpool are serious. I don't believe they would hire someone on the basis of his having played for them. I also don't believe there's much appetite for this kind of sentimentality amongst the fans either. At least not amongst the very small sample I have asked.?

They would love Gerard as manager but he needs to earn it. They expect success. Anything that puts that in doubt is not going to be welcomed.

I also think that if he wants to be the manager of Liverpool, he knows he's got to prove himself and that he would rather fail at Villa than Liverpool.

Edited by AndyinLiverpool
missed a bit out

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Liverpool are serious. I don't believe they would hire someone on the basis of his having played for them. I also don't believe there's much appetite for this kind of sentimentality amongst the fans either. At least not amongst the very small sample I have asked.?

They would love Gerard as manager but he needs to earn it. They expect success. Anything that puts that in doubt is not going to be welcomed.

This isn't just any Liverpool player is it though and in fairness he wouldn't be walking in on purely his name.

Wins the league again this year and that's a decent job considering where they were when he arrived.

We'll see I guess, but looks odds on to me, would be very surprised if they went elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, David said:

This isn't just any Liverpool player is it though and in fairness he wouldn't be walking in on purely his name.

Wins the league again this year and that's a decent job considering where they were when he arrived.

We'll see I guess, but looks odds on to me, would be very surprised if they went elsewhere. 

You might be right. I don't, however, know many people who think winning the league in Scotland with one of the only two teams who have a realistic chance of doing so is any great shakes.

Weren’t Liverpool quite famous for hiring from within, including former players? I know the boot room thing died with Gerard Houlier (or maybe before?) but they might see Gerard as a sort of return to that tradition once Koop has had enough. 

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You might be right. I don't, however, know many people who think winning the league in Scotland with one of the only two teams who have a realistic chance of doing so is any great shakes.

In the wider picture, 1 trophy in 4 years is a pitiful return for a Rangers manager and would normally lead to the sack long before now. 

He's majorly underperformed with the resources at his disposal. 

I am convinced that Rooney will end up at Rangers. Don't expect him (or anyone in our playing squad worth keeping around) to stick around when it becomes clear that we are doomed.

That's not me having a dig at Rooney, he's already put up with a lot, but everyone has a limit to the amount of nonsense they are willing to put up with.

8 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

In the wider picture, 1 trophy in 4 years is a pitiful return for a Rangers manager and would normally lead to the sack long before now. 

That’s a bit harsh given the context. That’s like saying Jurgen Klopp has done an average job at Liverpool because he has only won two trophies in five years there. Gerard Houllier won more in 1 single season alone.

Rangers were so far behind Celtic when he joined them.

9 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

3 seasons. When he took over they were miles behind Celtic (12 points the previous season) and he finished 25 points above them last season. I don't think Rangers fans think he massively underperformed. 

19 hours ago, David said:

Dalglish v2 and Sounness must be enough of a lesson for them to not make that mistake again. As for what Gerard has done at Rangers, I'm a bit m'eh about it. Celtic imploded once Rogers left and decided the bank balance was more important than ten in a row - possibly the most short sighted decision in football history. All Gerard had to do was turn up and the title was his - jeez even Jermain Defoe can still score up there.

Just my opinion but I think Gerrard should have stayed at Rangers for a couple of more seasons and gained  more experience for the Liverpool job when it becomes available, I think going to Villa now will be a hard job because they are a middle of the Premier League team who will never challenge the top 6. 

22 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Just my opinion but I think Gerrard should have stayed at Rangers for a couple of more seasons and gained  more experience for the Liverpool job when it becomes available, I think going to Villa now will be a hard job because they are a middle of the Premier League team who will never challenge the top 6. 

People thought that about Leicester.

On 10/11/2021 at 17:59, David said:

Not a chance that Liverpool would have appointed Gerrard if he was there youth team manager. Too much money at stake if he failed to make top 4.

Villa is the natural step for Gerrard. Big club, big expectation. If he gets them in the top 6, maybe win a cup the Liverpool job is his in a few years time. If he messes up he’ll be competing with Lampard for the next West Brom/Fulham job. 

The staunch are raging and there's many a cardboard Steven Gerrard that's suffered the outpouring of rage and sadness of their once proud owners. Did Gerrard even consider how he'd hurt the ordinary "Rangers da"?

It's almost as funny as when Celtic fans were faced with the reality that Brendan wasn't there for "10" and Leicster were a better bet.