Superman

Bob The Badger

15 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I always suspected.

The far right are going to implode.

For god sake don’t let them see the CW arrow verse. 

supergirl’s sister is a lesbian, dream is a transexual, ray and captain cold are gay, lex Luther is bald.

me and my daughter have been watching super girl and flash from the start, and yes, it can seem a bit ott to an old fart like me with how blatantly they’re trying to be inclusive, but actually, my daughter loves it, and is seeing all sorts of positive representations of different types of people. So whereas my generation still remember that first lesbian kiss on brookside with Anna friel like it was a massive tele event. My daughter just finds that kind of thing totally normal, as she should. 

I’ve been getting her into buffy the vampire slayer now it’s on Disney plus. Used to live that in the 90s. Willow’s about to come out. I always remember that being a big deal back in the day. My daughter won’t bat an eye lid. It’s actually been pretty obvious for a while when you rewatch it. 

41 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

For god sake don’t let them see the CW arrow verse. 

supergirl’s sister is a lesbian, dream is a transexual, ray and captain cold are gay, lex Luther is bald.

me and my daughter have been watching super girl and flash from the start, and yes, it can seem a bit ott to an old fart like me with how blatantly they’re trying to be inclusive, but actually, my daughter loves it, and is seeing all sorts of positive representations of different types of people. So whereas my generation still remember that first lesbian kiss on brookside with Anna friel like it was a massive tele event. My daughter just finds that kind of thing totally normal, as she should. 

I’ve been getting her into buffy the vampire slayer now it’s on Disney plus. Used to live that in the 90s. Willow’s about to come out. I always remember that being a big deal back in the day. My daughter won’t bat an eye lid. It’s actually been pretty obvious for a while when you rewatch it. 

Absolutely - the first wedding our youngest went to was two of our lesbian friends. He was 5 and never even questioned it. He's grown up understanding love for what it is

It's a shame that there is still an older generation who see any depictions of true love in popular culture story telling as "forcing an agenda" and not "accurately representing the world around us"

58 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's a shame that there is still an older generation who see any depictions of true love in popular culture story telling as "forcing an agenda" and not "accurately representing the world around us"

It may be an accurate representation of the world around me and certainly around my daughter, but my parents?. Definitely not.

It's natural to see an agenda if you've never been exposed to it before. I bet my folks have never had an openly homosexual friend/aquaintance, never mind transgender etc.

A different world and change can be a scary thing.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

It may be an accurate representation of the world around me and certainly around my daughter, but my parents?. Definitely not.

It's natural to see an agenda if you've never been exposed to it before. I bet my folks have never had an openly homosexual friend/aquaintance, never mind transgender etc.

Aye, but you’re not going to see progress until you actually instigate that change.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Yeah, I get that element of it. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if those who felt uncomfortable with it were just honest and admitted that the problem lay with them, instead of trying to argue that it was all part of some kind of "agenda" to make kids grow up believing that being anything other than heterosexual is fine. That really doesn't reflect well on them

11 hours ago, Wolfie said:

They probably didn’t know any openly homosexual friends or acquaintances cos it was illegal. There’s bound to be a lot less people being open about it when you could get banged up for loving the wrong person not too long ago.

it’s not necessarily more prevalent now. It’s not like everyone caught ‘gay’ overnight. It’s just more open and accepted. 

18 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Absolutely - the first wedding our youngest went to was two of our lesbian friends. He was 5 and never even questioned it. He's grown up understanding love for what it is

I've lived on this estate for 35 years, and I've never knowingly come across a gay superhero.

...Ooh... allow me to re-phrase that...

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

They probably didn’t know any openly homosexual friends or acquaintances cos it was illegal. There’s bound to be a lot less people being open about it when you could get banged up for loving the wrong person not too long ago.

This is very true - growing up we had a male couple lived across the road, who my parents were friendly with. I never occurred to me as a kid that they were gay, as it was never mentioned and there were no openly gay relationships in popular culture that allowed me to connect the dots. It was only a few years ago when I thought about them and it was so obvious. I asked my parents if they had realised they were a couple and they said "well of course but it was illegal, so they couldn't ever admit it to anyone"

I guess some of the older generations want to go back to that era of just never mentioning it