Rams vs Swansea Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

25 minutes ago, Srg said:

Just past the post from the edge of the box, Allsop with at least 2 saves, Shinnie with a last ditch tackle… just to name a few. 3-0 wouldn’t have been undeserved. 

At least 2 saves in the first half?

They only had 2 shots on target all match.

Sounds like we would have taken a point at half time, if offered. It’s games like this that we were throwing away last season, so we can’t be too disappointed. Chalk up another point and move on.

If we could have held on throughout added time at Peterborough, we’d be off the bottom of the table today. What a morale boost that would have been going into the break!

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The stats illustrate the point SRG was making. We were let off the hook by some poor Swansea finishing and some last-ditch defending. Their striker missed a golden opportunity from a cutback in the first-half. A really poor finish.

Errr, we had more shots on target - possession is nothing to do with it. It's about goal-scoring. Neither of us scored but we had more shots on target than them.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

They had two shots on target we had five perhaps you're a bit one-eyed.

I said first half, didn’t I? I’m sure you’ll know, but I think it was circa the 50th minute we had our first shot at all (Knight from distance). I think you’re being a bit “one eyed” when looking at anything I post but there we go. 

Just now, Srg said:

I said first half, didn’t I? I’m sure you’ll know, but I think it was circa the 50th minute we had our first shot at all (Knight from distance). I think you’re being a bit “one eyed” when looking at anything I post but there we go. 

I don't think we were great 1st half but the stats give more of a clue to their real threat. Perhaps I think your overall expectations are such that it needs pointing out that we had more chances.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't think we were great 1st half but the stats give more of a clue to their real threat. Perhaps I think your overall expectations are such that it needs pointing out that we had more chances.

Again. First half. I said first half. We didn’t have a single sniff of a chance first half. 

34 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Wayne and the team are two good strikers away from top eight standard team. Very good effort today from a leggy team.

Most of the teams that finish in the bottom half of the championship are.

Also I’m not sure how much effort you can attribute a team from just from audio.  There was a lack of effort from a few players today that isn’t mentioned in commentary, mainly off the ball. Being second to react is also about effort and we were guilty of this for the first 45.

2 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Most of the teams that finish in the bottom half of the championship are.

Also I’m not sure how much effort you can attribute a team from just from audio.  There was a lack of effort from a few players today that isn’t mentioned in commentary, mainly off the ball. Being second to react is also about effort and we were guilty of this for the first 45.

You don't think that some of them looked tired? It's not surprising in such a small squad with lots of pressure on them.

4 minutes ago, ck- said:

I thought the same. I did think we were a little unlucky with yellow cards, when similar offences by Swansea went unpunished, but generally it felt even handed. 

Id agree with this. 

The amount of yellow cards we are running up for innocuous challenges is ridiculous.

Another bug bear of mine is how full backs seem to have become the latest protected species, there is liberally no point chasing one back towards his own goal, they literally just have to fall over and are guaranteed a free kick, as their left back showed today. 

I didn’t make the game today but I would have been pleased with a point anyway after all the efforts at Sheffield United and again against Reading 

Great to have the week we had and the players probably need a rest for some of them to recover so it’s a good time for Break 

having the equal  best defence in the league is staggering and well done.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

What a woeful game that was. One of the worst first half displays I can remember and we only weren’t losing through Swansea’s poor finishing. Finally got a foothold in the game through enforced changes and then threw it all away with bringing Ebosele on. Whilst I could see what he tried to do with that change it just desperately didn’t work. 

Regroup during the international break. 

Strange how we all have different views. I had huge admiration for Swansea and the way the kept the ball and pressed us in the first half hour, but they didn’t really do much with it despite our back foot timid display. For me it was an absorbing match - and that unusual for me as I am a goal addict. I was disappointed with Stretton early on, slow to react and slow off the mark but he was gradually improving. There was some great defending and some near howlers. Allsop dominated his box, full of intelligence, anticipating problems and snuffing them out. Thought Dylan Williams did brilliantly both in attack and defence .. Since his debut, which was all willing endeavour but a bit short on horsepower, he seems to have got stronger. It’s going to be a feature of this season .. Many of these players are young and if handled right the growth in ability and resilience will be more visible every game .. We are seeing it already ! 

Once again a ref that gives a yellow card score of 3 - 0 to the opponents, presumably because they fell over more often and moaned more effectively. Fozzies was joke … just 2 players fighting for a ball that went out of play. Doubt there was a foul and never a yellow 

Second half reshape helped and Swansea tired. We had the best chances, they had most possession. Draw is a fair result but if Tom had stick one away we’d have earned it by sheer graft. 

Edited by jono

1 hour ago, Srg said:

What a woeful game that was. One of the worst first half displays I can remember and we only weren’t losing through Swansea’s poor finishing. Finally got a foothold in the game through enforced changes and then threw it all away with bringing Ebosele on. Whilst I could see what he tried to do with that change it just desperately didn’t work. 

Whilst you mentioned the first half - you encompassed it by saying it was a 'woeful game'. You also blamed their poor finishing not our top Championship equalling defensive stats. Ebosele was wasted but then that was more down to the passing than him and his pace made them think twice. 

So why did you keep on questioning me about your comments about the 1st half when your comments were about the whole game, as were mine!