Energy suppliers going bust

Stive Pesley

Crazy innit? Bulb too big to just hand over their customers to another supplier (or more likely the other suppliers have had enough of shouldering the administrative burden to sort this crud out!)

So effectively they have been nationalised, given that the treasury is to fund them indefinitely while they look for a buyer. Right now buying an energy firm is even less attractive than buying a football club!

Just to add to this.... 

We were on a 100% renewable tariff with Pure Planet who went pop. (how does 100% renewable gas work....). 

Anyhow, then found out that it was backed financially by BP. Who knew? 

And the tariff /supply has been taken over, bizarrely, by Shell. Who I had never heard of as being an energy supplier. 

And the price is exactly the same? to the nearest 0.01p....

4 hours ago, jono said:

Yes .. don’t know what it means but I am still paying 300+ notes a month and doing as I’m told . Ack it’s the wild world. What with HMRC not getting 25  million in PAYE from DCFC. And Bulb still wanting to install a smart meter. Right now, decent bottle of red open, don’t need to work until Tuesday, Game on Monday night. It’s all a bit of que sera sera .. Then you think about 30 desperate people who drowned in the dark and cold because the world is askew and you wonder what it life is all about when cut to the quick. 

how are you BTW ? 

In much the same place as you my friend, least from the sounds of it ?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

On 25/11/2021 at 20:59, Stive Pesley said:

Crazy innit? Bulb too big to just hand over their customers to another supplier (or more likely the other suppliers have had enough of shouldering the administrative burden to sort this crud out!)

So effectively they have been nationalised, given that the treasury is to fund them indefinitely while they look for a buyer. Right now buying an energy firm is even less attractive than buying a football club!

I suppose this might be a cheap way to nationalise .. no need to pay the shareholders - it’s bust - and customers ready and waiting with their direct debits. 

The green thing has so much rubbish in its marketing. It’s quite simple - a certain portion of our capacity is generated from renewables but in the end we all use power from wherever it comes from. We need power that works round the clock regardless of weather. To achieve that you need nuclear, tidal, solar, wind, Gas or Coal (or flipping wood chips which is a joke and no more than a bit of clever accountancy and virtue signaling. ) Thing is solar and wind are just not reliable and as yet we haven’t createc an efficient and practical way to store it.  In the meantime we have to have suitable reliable sources to take up the slack when they don’t work. And that’s before we even get to the political games. Loads of leccy in France .. from Nuclear (tsk tsk many don’t like that ) and lots of gas in Russia .. oooo dear how do we navigate that minefield ? … if we can’t burn our coal, the Russians are Machiavellian and the French are just awkward then you have a problem which needs a grown up solution.

We need to be building the Severn barrage now. We need to accept that a certain proportion of our power has to come from fossil fuels while we developed storage technology for renewable energy. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

The green thing has so much rubbish in its marketing. It’s quite simple - a certain portion of our capacity is generated from renewables but in the end we all use power from wherever it comes from. We need power that works round the clock regardless of weather. To achieve that you need nuclear, tidal, solar, wind, Gas or Coal (or flipping wood chips which is a joke and no more than a bit of clever accountancy and virtue signaling. ) Thing is solar and wind are just not reliable and as yet we haven’t createc an efficient and practical way to store it.  In the meantime we have to have suitable reliable sources to take up the slack when they don’t work. And that’s before we even get to the political games. Loads of leccy in France .. from Nuclear (tsk tsk many don’t like that ) and lots of gas in Russia .. oooo dear how do we navigate that minefield ? … if we can’t burn our coal, the Russians are Machiavellian and the French are just awkward then you have a problem which needs a grown up solution.

We need to be building the Severn barrage now. We need to accept that a certain proportion of our power has to come from fossil fuels while we developed storage technology for renewable energy. 

I can’t believe that they won’t be able to collect all the carbon and nasties from burning fossil fuels solidify them and use them as home insulation.

That would shut a lot of people up.

• 5 months later...

Thoughts on the windfall tax?

Seems a bit odd to me that the cap is going up £800, so they take £400 per person off the energy suppliers, give it to us so that we can use it to fund our soaring bills - in other words we give it straight back to the energy suppliers

9 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Seems a bit odd to me that the cap is going up £800, so they take £400 per person off the energy suppliers, give it to us so that we can use it to fund our soaring bills - in other words we give it straight back to the energy suppliers

somehow they'll be able to use the windfall tax to pay less further tax on the money that we give back to them!

11 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

They'll just raise prices to cover the deficit ?‍♀️

British Gas customer here, I'm coming to the end of my fixed 1 year deal, Been looking at others...wow, So checked BG for their tariffs at the week end, £109.50 per month until May 2023, Checked again this morning, Now £112.05 until July 2023, I'm currently paying £34.50 per month and in credit for £110.

I'm still waiting on the £150 as South Derbyshire District Council are/were trying out new software to put monies into their customers bank accounts, I've been sent a letter saying I'll receive this in June?‍♀️

The £400 will go into my future utilities company account, I miss out on the £300 as I do not qualify for the winter fuel payment as I wasn't born before 25th Sept 1955 cut off date...maybe next year aye?‍♀️

So all in all the £550 I get might just cover the rise in gas/electric price cap now and in October ?‍♀️

30 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

They'll just raise prices to cover the deficit ?‍♀️

This is what I don't get - maybe I'm just thick

wholesale costs of energy going up? Meaning we have to pay more for our fuel - yet at the same time we're being told that the energy companies are making record-breaking profits? Why is it not hurting them too?

12 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

This is what I don't get - maybe I'm just thick

wholesale costs of energy going up? Meaning we have to pay more for our fuel - yet at the same time we're being told that the energy companies are making record-breaking profits? Why is it not hurting them too?

Windfall tax just political posturing. Dog eat dog, eat customer. 

7 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

We should be doing the same as the French government and make the energy companies  restrict any rise in prices to 4%. Maybe our government should also copy the french and hold a share of the energy companies.The

Probably would have been best if we had never allowed all our utility services to be sold off in the first place. 

The government has had a tax increase from VAT on gas and electric not to mention a huge windfall from petrol price rises, in the billions, so they could easily match what they take off the energy companies.

Would be better to cap the rise at a reasonable level and let the energy companies make their case for government help imo.

19 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

British Gas customer here, I'm coming to the end of my fixed 1 year deal, Been looking at others...wow, So checked BG for their tariffs at the week end, £109.50 per month until May 2023, Checked again this morning, Now £112.05 until July 2023, I'm currently paying £34.50 per month and in credit for £110.

I'm still waiting on the £150 as South Derbyshire District Council are/were trying out new software to put monies into their customers bank accounts, I've been sent a letter saying I'll receive this in June?‍♀️

The £400 will go into my future utilities company account, I miss out on the £300 as I do not qualify for the winter fuel payment as I wasn't born before 25th Sept 1955 cut off date...maybe next year aye?‍♀️

So all in all the £550 I get might just cover the rise in gas/electric price cap now and in October ?‍♀️

34.50 a month??? I d settle for this week since we were bumped off to BG. 109 till May next year that is cheap as well

6 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

34.50 a month??? I d settle for this week since we were bumped off to BG. 109 till May next year that is cheap as well

The £34.50 started off at £50 last May, Over the Summer months my account built up a lot of credit, Coming down at Xmas time to £34.50, The May £109 has now been withdrawn and replaced by July £112, I'll be switching to that in a few weeks time

Fixed Jul 23v1Cheapest.

Estimated cost

£112.05 / month

£372.15 extra spend / year

Fixed tariff: Rates and charges that won't change until 31st July 2023.

Exit fees: £75.00 / fuel

It's a very sad state of affairs how these energy/oil companies are making record profits, mainly in thanks to a illegal war which has killed thousands of people. 

It's not just homes, local businesses are forking out thousands in additional energy bills. Doubt they'll have any support.