Energy suppliers going bust

Stive Pesley

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Meanwhile British Gas ask me to set up my online account - which I immediately do - to be met with a message "We need to speak to you, call this number....". Phone the number, hear a warning that I'll be on hold for at least an hour. Try again the following day & on hold for 30 mins. When I get through I'm told I shouldn't have phoned them and I'll be contacted by them when they need something.

Obviously have the same management team as BT / Open Reach - Couldn't run a bath but make massive profits. I'm about done with the UK.

I was feeling smug that I'd got a great deal on electricity when moving into our current residence and changing in April. I thought I'd get through the winter on a hot sexy tariff.

But alas no, Symbio Energy have now gone breasts vertical and they don't even sell gas.

An unsustainable housing market, soaring fuel charges, supply chain problems and higher costs of hiring in many industries means we have inflation and a recession heading our way and it's not meandering lazily, it's driving a Tesla. 

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Octopus are sound as a pound. I’ve read a few reports saying they’re one of the safe ones. I only wish I’d thought of sticking my recommend a friend link up here first. 

I had a mate who borrowed £6 off me once.

I knew he kept cephalopods and one was really poorly so I went to see him and help boost his morale.

When I walked in he picked the stricken fella up and thrusting it toward me said 'here's that sick squid I owe you'

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I had a mate who borrowed £6 off me once.

I knew he kept cephalopods and one was really poorly so I went to see him and help boost his morale.

When I walked in he picked the stricken fella up and thrusting it toward me said 'here's that sick squid I owe you'

I eight it when that happens.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone whose supplier has gone bust got their account balances back?.

When PFP went bump, we were over £800 in credit. Everything says that it's safe & guaranteed by Ofgem but I'd quite like to know how long it will take to get it back.

On 21/09/2021 at 16:29, Stive Pesley said:

it was farcical having that many. Outside of the "big six" none of these other "suppliers" generate or supply energy, they are (or were!) just running the contract to bill you for it. The only expense they really had was running a call centre and a website.

An unexpected  price surge was always going to kill them, as they had enticed so many customers with low prices.

I never really understood the point of so many tarrifs either. Just have one tarrif and charge everyone the same, it was all a con

The complex tariffs have always wound me up. Kilowatts are no different litres of petrol. Prices should be displayed, clear and simple. I can see logic in a discount for having both, I can see a need for a naughty boys tarriff for the less than reliable/trustworthy but after that it should be pretty much a known price +/-5%  . Companies could still make profits from being well run, having trouble free customer services and attracting customers that way.

I welcome a regulated free market for coms and utilities . The old days of the GPO and waiting for a telephone line we’re dreadful. We were at times dictated to by “them” with no chance of voting with our feet. 

The downside is the cowboys on the sales side ( surely there should be an ABTA type bond ?  )Then you get changing technology and energy politics with the likes of Russia / France and others playing political games, The frailty of green energy capacity and its still nascent abilities.  It’s a complex problem. I’m with Bulb and waiting to see what happens. We have 2 boilers, one serving a granny flat for my ageing  mother in law which runs pretty much all the time . My energy bills aren’t pretty so I am nervous. The good thing with Bulb is that they change the price all the time following market rates relatively closely so I am hoping when the hike comes it will at least be navigable. 

2 hours ago, jono said:

The complex tariffs have always wound me up. Kilowatts are no different litres of petrol. Prices should be displayed, clear and simple. I can see logic in a discount for having both, I can see a need for a naughty boys tarriff for the less than reliable/trustworthy but after that it should be pretty much a known price +/-5%  . Companies could still make profits from being well run, having trouble free customer services and attracting customers that way.

I welcome a regulated free market for coms and utilities . The old days of the GPO and waiting for a telephone line we’re dreadful. We were at times dictated to by “them” with no chance of voting with our feet. 

The downside is the cowboys on the sales side ( surely there should be an ABTA type bond ?  )Then you get changing technology and energy politics with the likes of Russia / France and others playing political games, The frailty of green energy capacity and its still nascent abilities.  It’s a complex problem. I’m with Bulb and waiting to see what happens. We have 2 boilers, one serving a granny flat for my ageing  mother in law which runs pretty much all the time . My energy bills aren’t pretty so I am nervous. The good thing with Bulb is that they change the price all the time following market rates relatively closely so I am hoping when the hike comes it will at least be navigable. 

Have you not heard Jono? 

https://news.sky.com/story/collapse-of-britains-seventh-biggest-energy-firm-bulb-confirmed-leaving-taxpayers-to-take-the-strain-12477266

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yes .. don’t know what it means but I am still paying 300+ notes a month and doing as I’m told . Ack it’s the wild world. What with HMRC not getting 25  million in PAYE from DCFC. And Bulb still wanting to install a smart meter. Right now, decent bottle of red open, don’t need to work until Tuesday, Game on Monday night. It’s all a bit of que sera sera .. Then you think about 30 desperate people who drowned in the dark and cold because the world is askew and you wonder what it life is all about when cut to the quick. 

how are you BTW ?