1971-72 season scrapbook

LeedsCityRam

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Thicker than v Burnley?
(Google reminds me that was FA Cup 3rd round Replay, Jan '92).

Good call Mucker. I was also there against Burnley but I have to just put  it behind the Palace smog. It was a night game and the pollution from Leys foundry was worse than in 1992. In the 83rd minute all was normal and clear. In the 85th it was all over. I've never seen weather change so suddenly. The fog just seemed to descend suddenly from outer space. As you say, you couldn't see the penalty box D at the Ossie End. All I could see from Normanton End Upper was the goalpost and nets. I couldn't see the six yard line. My dad had parked the car at Normanton Barracks. The fog was so thick we had to leave it overnight and walk back to Mickleover.

Here are some 71/72 players, with Gordon Guthrie as a player. A lot of people won't know that Tim started the Ex-Rams charity games after he retired and also the Ex-Rams Old Players Association (together with Breedon Books who used to sponsor the evening). Third from right kneeling is Malcolm Edmondson and next to Kevin Hector is John Bowers Jnr in the tracksuit, both worked at the Telegraph. I think this is Northcliffe United?

Tim Ward (1).jpg

Edited by Macintosh
Forgot to attach the image.

35 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Although nothing to do with this season, here are some Tim Ward images no one will have seen, they are his personal images.

This is very interesting MacIntosh. Thank you. While this scrapbook is to do with 1971-72, as can be seen from recent weeks, it has been relevant to mention the immediate preceding decade to show how the '72 championship came about. It didn't just happen overnight. Tim Ward was a great servant to Derby County as a player, England international and club manager. He is very relevant to what we are discussing. At Derby, he brought Ron Webster, Alan Durban, Colin Boulton, Peter Daniel and finally Kevin Hector into the Rams first team. All of them went on to win League championship medals with the club, albeit Peter Daniel had to wait until the 1974-75 season for his.

After 15 months managing Carlisle when he left Derby, he retired from the game but resumed his association with Derby with his work with the ex- DCFC players association and managing the Rams All Stars. So his association with the development of the championship teams should never be forgotten.

Tim was a gentleman and much respected by Derby fans who watched his teams from 1962-67. But he was justifiably resentful of the board who sacked him. Despite being finally able to buy Kevin Hector, he believed that if the board had been more supportive he could have won promotion to the First Division.

In his first season at Derby, Brian Clough made a bid to sign Willie Carlin from Carlisle but Tim refused the offer. It was said that his reluctance was based on resentment towards his old club. But here in the top picture we have Tim with the club president Sir Robertson King, Brian Clough, Ron Webster and Phil Waller in the board room at the BBG speaking quite amiably. It is clearly from 1967-68. I can only think that it must have been taken when Carlisle visited the BBG on 18 November 1967 when they beat the Rams 1-0. Do you have any more information on that MacIntosh?

1 hour ago, Macintosh said:

Here are some 71/72 players, with Gordon Guthrie as a player. A lot of people won't know that Tim started the Ex-Rams charity games after he retired and also the Ex-Rams Old Players Association (together with Breedon Books who used to sponsor the evening). Third from right kneeling is Malcolm Edmondson and next to Kevin Hector is John Bowers Jnr in the tracksuit, both worked at the Telegraph. I think this is Northcliffe United?

It is indeed Northcliffe United who were managed by Tommy Powell, who worked in the accounts department at the DET on retirement as a Rams player in 1961. A young Neil Hallam who wrote legendary articles on the Rams for Raymonds News Agency and the Derby Trader for about 40 years, was a player when the club was formed. The club were founder members of the Derby Sunday League and rose to be members of the Midlands Sunday League in the 1970s. They were Derby's leading Sunday team over this period.

When Sunday Leagues were first formed they were outlawed by the FA but grew to be even more popular than local Saturday football. Many, like me, chose to watch the Rams on Saturday and play locally on Sunday. In the face of this popularity, the FA pomposity was overcome and Sunday clubs became affiliated to the FA.

Here you will see more detail on Northcliffe"

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/fourth-cup-title-six-years-1274429

On 28/08/2021 at 10:40, i-Ram said:

I think I actually like this thread more because of sighting of some of the opposition players you forget about as you get older. Bobby Stokes not hard to forget for supporters of a certain age. But Jimmy Gabriel was Saints penalty taker. A few seconds of each of Terry Paine and Mick Channon too made me smile. McGovern and Zak obviously the Rams goalscorers. 

The Ram newspaper/ program used to include a colour picture of the visiting team.

985C3EF9-0E74-468C-A298-8F274CF3B9A7.jpeg

4757B24A-C291-44F7-AAF4-F5B51B944026.jpeg

4C308CFD-9CF1-4073-8077-D7F738B68DE5.jpeg

853CC8AF-3EE4-4831-9F58-286B50BF08AA.jpeg

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Sent the photo to Phil Waller as he loves to see them.

Thanks Phil. I got Cloughie and Sir Robertson King very.wrong and so the wrong year. It was Mick Williamson, not Clough. I saw him play for Derby before he moved to Gillingham. I thought it might be Bobby Stephenson but wasn't sure because I thought it was Cloughie on the right and he came well after Bobby. Bobby was a Derby lad and the son of George Stephenson, who played for Derby and England.. I saw the only goal Bobby scored for Derby. It was a half volley at the Normanton End from the edge of the penalty area v Bristol Rovers when we won 4-1 at the BBG in March 1962. Keith Havenhand scored the other three goals. This was a significant event in the history of DCFC because earlier in the season, Havenhand had scored a hat-trick away at Bristol Rovers when we also won 4-1.. It is the only time in the history of the club that a Derby player has scored a hat-trick home and away in the same season against the same club. 

The only player to have achieved the same feat in the Premier League is Emmanuel Adebayor for Arsenal v Derby County in the 11-point season.

So having explained that, I am wiping the egg off my face and retreating to bed in disgrace ???

4 hours ago, Macintosh said:

Here's a team of just memories now. 

And a legend.

From that photo I recognise just Gordon Guthrie ( back 2nd left), Tim Ward (back 3rd right) and then on the front at the right, Tommy Powell, Jackie Stamps and finally Sammy Crooks . I don't recognise any of the rest.

My sister-in-law from my first marriage managed a care home in Winshill, Burton-upon-Trent where Jackie Stamps was a resident after he had lost his sight. He died whilst he was in residence. He bequeathed his FA Cup final winners medal to his son. His son said that his dad had carried the medal every day and everywhere since he won it and it should remain with him. It was buried with Jackie Stamps.

30 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Thanks Phil. I got Cloughie and Sir Robertson King very.wrong and so the wrong year. It was Mick Williamson, not Clough. I saw him play for Derby before he moved to Gillingham. I thought it might be Bobby Stephenson but wasn't sure because I thought it was Cloughie on the right and he came well after Bobby. Bobby was a Derby lad and the son of George Stephenson, who played for Derby and England.. I saw the only goal Bobby scored for Derby. It was a half volley at the Normanton End from the edge of the penalty area v Bristol Rovers when we won 4-1 at the BBG in March 1962. Keith Havenhand scored the other three goals. This was a significant event in the history of DCFC because earlier in the season, Havenhand had scored a hat-trick away at Bristol Rovers when we also won 4-1.. It is the only time in the history of the club that a Derby player has scored a hat-trick home and away in the same season against the same club. 

The only player to have achieved the same feat in the Premier League is Emmanuel Adebayor for Arsenal v Derby County in the 11-point season.

So having explained that, I am wiping the egg off my face and retreating to bed in disgrace ???

You shouldn't be eating egg just before bedtime at your age.?