Steve McClaren

Poynton ram

8 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Dreadful last stint as manager who can forget Derby 0 - Reading 3 in May 2015, we needed 1 fxxxing point to make the play offs ( I wish I could forget it) and he engineered a total cluster.

First managerial stint he inherited a great team built by Nigel, then left for the riches of managing Newcastle, totally useless individual as a player and as a manger.

His last stint was when he took over from Nigel Pearson when we were the lowest scorers in England and Scotland. 

The Reading loss was the season after we set several club records. Yeah the season ended badly but still was in the Play Offs until the last day. 

I'm assuming you're saying Nigel was a terrible manager then if he had a great team and couldn't get us to win more than we lost in a season? 

He didn't leave to go to Newcastle. He said he was going to stay and then was sacked. Then went to Newcastle. 

Unlike some other managers who did jump ship at the first chance. Or a manager that knew he was jumping ship at the first chance but didn't have the decency to tell us before Pre Season and all our players were flying to America. 

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

His last stint was when he took over from Nigel Pearson when we were the lowest scorers in England and Scotland. 

The Reading loss was the season after we set several club records. Yeah the season ended badly but still was in the Play Offs until the last day. 

I'm assuming you're saying Nigel was a terrible manager then if he had a great team and couldn't get us to win more than we lost in a season? 

He didn't leave to go to Newcastle. He said he was going to stay and then was sacked. Then went to Newcastle. 

Unlike some other managers who did jump ship at the first chance. Or a manager that knew he was jumping ship at the first chance but didn't have the decency to tell us before Pre Season and all our players were flying to America. 

Sacked 1st time out because he stayed out of loyalty, and a desire to put wrongs right, rather than he really wanted to be here. 

According to Mel.

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

Sacked 1st time out because he stayed out of loyalty, and a desire to put wrongs right, rather than he really wanted to be here. 

According to Mel.

Yeah which is fair enough I guess. 

Odd that his reason for staying was loyalty and that wasn't enough for Mel

But some fans talk of disloyalty when discussing it. 

Guess it's all old news now. And tbh I can't believe he's tried to help us continously since. And for those who say he wouldn't get a job anywhere else... I don't think he's been short of offers for various different roles. He didn't have to come here and help dig Mel out the poo

Some people would say that they'd rather have no job if they were in his shoes than come back here while Mel is here. 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yeah which is fair enough I guess. 

Odd that his reason for staying was loyalty and that wasn't enough for Mel

But some fans talk of disloyalty when discussing it. 

Guess it's all old news now. And tbh I can't believe he's tried to help us continously since. And for those who say he wouldn't get a job anywhere else... I don't think he's been short of offers for various different roles. He didn't have to come here and help dig Mel out the poo

Some people would say that they'd rather have no job if they were in his shoes than come back here while Mel is here. 

So you know pesonally what positions he was offered, sorry cant quite believe that.

1 hour ago, Raich Carter said:

Multi millionaire with nothing better to do says ‘give me a call if you want my 2p’ results in fans singing his praises. Doesn’t take much does it. I’m ambivalent about him but this all feels like soin to me. 

Come on be fair, most people associated within football these days are multi millionaires and I doubt we would be seeing the same level of loyalty from eg: Frank Lampard if he was still here

5 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Come on be fair, most people associated within football these days are multi millionaires and I doubt we would be seeing the same level of loyalty from eg: Frank Lampard if he was still here

Think the older fans and women seem to have a different view on maclaren, more cynical  i suppose. I cant quite believe he loves the rams myself.

12 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Think the older fans and women seem to have a different view on maclaren, more cynical  i suppose. I cant quite believe he loves the rams myself.

Perhaps just speak for yourself and your personal dislike of Mac.

Or even better the football we played - what was Mac's win ratio?

Edited by RoyMac5

7 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

I am both older and a  woman and rate Steve McClaren,  gave us great football, genuine guy.

Thought he was harshly treated by the Derby fans over the Newcastle saga.

Got best win percentage of any recent manager and his team played the most attractive football I have seen since the 70s. 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I am both older and a  woman and rate Steve McClaren,  gave us great football, genuine guy.

Got best win percentage of any recent manager and his team played the most attractive football I have seen since the 70s. 

Everybody got their own oppinion, not convinced he was treated harshley over the newcastle saga, remember it took him weeks to say he would stop,

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Unfortunately we don’t always know the facts and we get preconceived ideas about Mac. 

He did get sidetracked by the Newcastle thing as did Lampard about Chelsea  but at the end of the day Steve has been more loyal than Frank IMO .

Nigel obviously felt pushed out by Derby when he was building a good team but Mac created something special with mostly Nigels players. 

In retrospect NC did a great job at Derby .

Football clubs all have history that’s often forgotten in the present. 

Fans can be fickle including myself but that’s football. 

Look how many love Rooney now !

3 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Everybody got their own oppinion, not convinced he was treated harshley over the newcastle saga, remember it took him weeks to say he would stop,

That's not true. He kept saying it, I was at a fans forum where he said it very clearly and it was totally mis-reported by Radio Derby. 

You seem to have something against him but I always felt like he was a decent guy who had the interests of the club at heart. His recent actions appear to back that up.

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Unfortunately we don’t always know the facts and we get preconceived ideas about Mac. 

He did get sidetracked by the Newcastle thing as did Lampard about Chelsea  but at the end of the day Steve has been more loyal than Frank IMO .

Nigel obviously felt pushed out by Derby when he was building a good team but Mac created something special with mostly Nigels players. 

Totally agree, but we was only a stepping stone for frank wasnt we, hopefully rooney is different.

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

That's an interesting point, Curtains, and maybe some people who don't rate Steve are upset about his replacing Nigel Clough.

Personally, I was ready for the change. And it wasn't his fault who he replaced.

1 minute ago, Kathcairns said:

Totally agree, but we was only a stepping stone for frank wasnt we, hopefully rooney is different.

Loved Frank as a player and he did well at Derby even though he spent loads but whats happened subsequently at Chelsea is not his fault. 
Chelsea didn’t give him time despite their recent success.

As I say fans can be fickle. 

Football is all about winning. 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's not true. He kept saying it, I was at a fans forum where he said it very clearly and it was totally mis-reported by Radio Derby. 

You seem to have something against him but I always felt like he was a decent guy who had the interests of the club at heart. His recent actions appear to back that up.

Steve McCLaren disagrees...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37653776

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/14/steve-mcclaren-Derby-county-return-lucky?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other