Martyn Waghorn

Igor Igor Whats the Score?

LOL…..sky pundits build up Waghorn pre-game as a “clinical finisher” and “a signing under the radar”……. he was caught offside, misplaced numerous passes and caused no goal threat. Was replaced after 70 mins with Coventry losing……after which Coventry were awesome and won 2-1 ???

On 08/08/2021 at 20:15, Igor Igor Whats the Score? said:

LOL…..sky pundits build up Waghorn pre-game as a “clinical finisher” and “a signing under the radar”……. he was caught offside, misplaced numerous passes and caused no goal threat. Was replaced after 70 mins with Coventry losing……after which Coventry were awesome and won 2-1 ???

Almost single handedly kept us up final game of the season. Ill admit not the best finisher , but come on is he really that bad?

38 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Almost single handedly kept us up final game of the season. Ill admit not the best finisher , but come on is he really that bad?

Him and Marlon Pack, yes.

Him and Marriott (Leeds aside) are two of the worst one on one finishers I've seen at this club. I liked his enthusiasm and commitment but as a footballer, he was bang average at best.

Edited by BaaLocks

1 hour ago, SFox1993 said:

For me, he’s the perfect example of our historic wasted transfer fees. He didn’t do anything that a free transfer signing couldn’t have achieved. I was extremely happy he left ?

5 hours ago, Igor Igor Whats the Score? said:

For me, he’s the perfect example of our historic wasted transfer fees. He didn’t do anything that a free transfer signing couldn’t have achieved. I was extremely happy he left ?

Other than Martin what other free transfer signings have scored 30 goals for us? 

...or for anyone else? I mean you could probably name Pukki who's scored more than that, but you make it sound like there are loads of them out there just waiting for a Championship club to offer them a deal 

Edited by Coconut

5 hours ago, Igor Igor Whats the Score? said:

He did a lot more than Blackman, Marriott, Anya etc 

Not last season, when he was injured early (and then injured again later), came back into a truly awful team and a manager who (not without reason) set up his team purely to not lose for about 25 games before finally letting the attacking players off the leash in the final game of the season when, funnily enough, they all performed pretty well.

Judging any of our attacking players on how they performed for the majority of last season is doing them a disservice when there was hardly any clear tactics/methods put in place to create goals of our own.

Edited by Coconut

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Not last season, when he was injured early, came back into a truly awful team and a manager who set up his team purely to not lose for about 30 games before finally letting the attacking players off the leash in the final game of the season when, funnily enough, they all performed well.

He came back into a truly awful team? Well he fitted right in.

9 hours ago, Coconut said:

Other than Martin what other free transfer signings have scored 30 goals for us? 

...or for anyone else? I mean you could probably name Pukki who's scored more than that, but you make it sound like there are loads of them out there just waiting for a Championship club to offer them a deal 

Who mentioned 30 goals? 4 goals would have beaten Waghorn last season…..

15 hours ago, Igor Igor Whats the Score? said:

If a free transfer had performed as well as he did in the Lampard season then we'd have been pretty bloody happy.

17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Last season bar the final game and one(?) other, yes he was.

Feel dirty agreeing with you, but you're right. Had a stormer last game of the season, but you could easily argue we wouldn't have needed him to if he hadn't been so tragic all season.

3 hours ago, Igor Igor Whats the Score? said:

Who mentioned 30 goals? 4 goals would have beaten Waghorn last season…..

If you were talking purely about last season you should have said so. 6 goals would have beaten him, it's not a lot but it's more than 4.

It wasn't any one individual player's fault we were so poor going forward last season, we set up the team to try to nick as many 1-0s as possible. There wasn't exactly a lot of scope for our attackers to express themselves, so I'm not really sure what you were expecting.

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If a free transfer had performed as well as he did in the Lampard season then we'd have been pretty bloody happy.

Yep. He scored 9 Championship goals that season, 12 the following season.

Goal tallies for free transfers (ST/ RW / LW/ AM) last season:
9 - Steven Fletcher
8 - CKR
4 - Lyle Taylor
3 - Callum O'Hare, Anis Mehmeti, Tyrhys Dolan
2 - Ivan Sanchez, Chris Martin, Jon Toral, Albert Adomah, Glenn Murray
1 - Philip Zinckernagel, Kieran Sadlier, Jordan Clark
0 - Elias Kachunga, George Thomas, Jack Aitchison, Isaac Christie-Davies, Danny Grant, Danel Sinani, Sebatian Soto, Miguel Guerrero, Rolando Aarons, Mickel Miller, Korede Adedoyin

(when including assists, only the 4 highlighted players matched or beat Waghorn's 10-goal contribution, behind him were Martin & Adomah on 7 each)

...so the idea that free transfer might have done more than Waghorn last season isn't totally flawed, but only 2/24 free signings actually did.

Good free transfers are few and far between.

Edited by Coconut

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

If you were talking purely about last season you should have said so. 6 goals would have beaten him, it's not a lot but it's more than 4.

It wasn't any one individual player's fault we were so poor going forward last season, we set up the team to try to nick as many 1-0s as possible. There wasn't exactly a lot of scope for our attackers to express themselves, so I'm not really sure what you were expecting.

Yep. He scored 9 Championship goals that season, 12 the following season.

Goal tallies for free transfers (ST/ RW / LW/ AM) last season:
9 - Steven Fletcher
4 - Lyle Taylor
3 - Callum O'Hare, Anis Mehmeti, Tyrhys Dolan
2 - Ivan Sanchez, Chris Martin, Jon Toral, Albert Adomah, Glenn Murray
1 - Philip Zinckernagel, Kieran Sadlier, Jordan Clark
0 - Elias Kachunga, George Thomas, Jack Aitchison, Isaac Christie-Davies, Danny Grant, Danel Sinani, Sebatian Soto, Miguel Guerrero, Rolando Aarons, Mickel Miller, Korede Adedoyin

(when including assists, only the 3 highlighted players matched or beat Waghorn's 10-goal contribution, behind him were Martin & Adomah on 7 each)

...so the idea that free transfer might have done more than Waghorn last season isn't totally flawed, but only 2/24 free signing actually did.

Seem to remember him scoring some important goals in the cup that first season as well.

In all, definitely not worth £5 million. But I think people’s perceptions are clouded by his final season.

19 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Him and Marlon Pack, yes.

Him and Marriott (Leeds aside) are two of the worst one on one finishers I've seen at this club. I liked his enthusiasm and commitment but as a footballer, he was bang average at best.

League stats only, shots per goal...

Marriott, 18/19: 5.7
Waghorn, 17/18: 6.5
Waghorn, 18/19: 5.3
Waghorn, 19/20: 7.6

For comparison, Martin's best from 15/16 to 18/19 was 6.8, and only just beat Waghorn's best with 4.7 in the 13/14 and 14/15 seasons.

I can certainly think of a lot of worse finishers than Waghorn and Marriott

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

League stats only, shots per goal...

Marriott, 18/19: 5.7
Waghorn, 17/18: 6.5
Waghorn, 18/19: 5.3
Waghorn, 19/20: 7.6

What that doesn't show which is more important is how many goals and how many shots. 

1 goal 1 shot what would the stats be? Bet they'd look good.

Waghorn couldn't trap a bag of cement and wibbled badly in one-on-ones. But even then last season he should have contributed so much more than he did. All we can really be thankful for is that finally he did.