Martyn Waghorn

Igor Igor Whats the Score?

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not last season, when it mattered. When we needed him. Finally in the last game of the season after he'd been balled out by Rooney before he then got injured(!), he decided to turn up.

He still did more than those three! ?

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

League stats only, shots per goal...

Marriott, 18/19: 5.7
Waghorn, 17/18: 6.5
Waghorn, 18/19: 5.3
Waghorn, 19/20: 7.6

For comparison, Martin's best from 15/16 to 18/19 was 6.8, and only just beat Waghorn's best with 4.7 in the 13/14 and 14/15 seasons.

I can certainly think of a lot of worse finishers than Waghorn and Marriott

So can I, what I am referring to is one on one, which is why I said that. Bobby Campbell, Kenin Lisbie, Calum Ball, all poor finishers. But one on one, keeper and striker, I seldom had confidence (and was often proved right) in their ability to convert. Take Marriott, I always thought he was better as a one touch, reaction style scoring mode but give him time, ball at his feet, and he just seemed to over think it.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Igor Igor Whats the Score? said:

Dragged off yesterday like vs Forest at 1 down only for his replacement to score and Coventry win 2-1 again. Is everyone getting onboard that he is absolutely no loss now ??

Well he is 31 now. It looked like he lost a bit of pace last season and I was quite happy to let him go. I still think he was a good player 2/3 seasons ago.

Don’t get the dislike towards Waghorn. Not the greatest player, or the smartest, but he always gave his all & scored some very important goals for us.

We overpaid for him, but that’s not his fault. He’s moved on now & doesn’t really deserve  the grief to be honest. Marriott seems to get a lot less grief, and did very little for us compared to Waghorn.

• 3 weeks later...