Archie Brown - joined Lausanne on permanent deal

Jubbs

Ultimately, he’s only one year younger than Buchanan who was clearly selected as the better option in the present.

It’s a shame it is looking like he is leaving but he has never even made a first team squad (I don’t think) despite the option of naming 9 subs and him being quite versatile all the way down the left side. If it was felt he was ready, he would have, like McDonald and Ebosele on the right.

Hopefully he does well, good to see him testing himself abroad even if it does mean less compensation for the club, which I would imagine would have been minimal anyway 

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

Ultimately, he’s only one year younger than Buchanan who was clearly selected as the better option in the present.

It’s a shame it is looking like he is leaving but he has never even made a first team squad (I don’t think) despite the option of naming 9 subs and him being quite versatile all the way down the left side. If it was felt he was ready, he would have, like McDonald and Ebosele on the right.

Hopefully he does well, good to see him testing himself abroad even if it does mean less compensation for the club, which I would imagine would have been minimal anyway 

I'm guessing having both Buchanan and Forsyth fit prevented him getting a shot lost season. Whereas we only had Byrne on the right

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm guessing having both Buchanan and Forsyth fit prevented him getting a shot lost season. Whereas we only had Byrne on the right

Absolutely, but I suppose if Buchanan has been chosen as the better option now, it’s hard to see a point where Brown gets in ahead given they’re roughly the same age. I don’t know much about Brown to know of how similar they are (guessing Browns background as a winger means he is more attacking than Buchanans background as a CB) but I am not a fan of chopping and changing a defence based on opposition (although Rooney did seem to be).

I would’ve been interested to see Buchanan on the left of a back 3 with a wing back, which may have allowed Brown to start to get minutes next to him. Becoming increasingly common for good defensive full backs to play on the sides of the 3, if that is the system chosen.

Welcome to the reality of the world we now live in.

European clubs are allowed to hoover up our best talent. But we aren't allowed to sign any European players unless they have umpteen international appearances and a shed load of first-team appearances.

Same rules apply to ManU etc., so they are picking over the bones of our Academy too.

Lovely lovely Br**it. 

11 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Lovely lovely Br**it. 

I didn't vote for Brexit either, but given that Switzerland isn't actually in the EU, are you sure that it is to blame here? 

For what it's worth, I like Archie and he was a great sight going forwards.  Unfortunately, he wasn't quite such a great sight when it came to defending, and I'm not sure he would ever have made it with us as a left back, given that Lee Buchanan and Fozzie are before him, and Will Grewal Pollard, Dylan Williams and Riley Moloney are (not far) behind him.   I've seen quoted somewhere that we'll get compensation, possibly around £250k, which wouldn't be bad for someone who may never have made our first team, and who at times couldn't get into the U23s either, Williams being preferred.

Anyway, all the best Archie.

50 minutes ago, tinman said:

Lausanne are owned by INEOS, who also own Nice in Ligue 1. 

Well ran clubs, unlike some... Not at all surprising he left, he'll have a better pathway where he is currently and gets to live in Lausanne for a bit.

Good luck to him. I have a feeling he will possibly move back to a winger as his career progresses with the option that he can do a decent job as a wing back if needed.

I'm not sure why people are getting so angry about this. He obviously felt he needed to move to progress his career the way he wants it to go. Playing for a team in a top flight league in their country will have a better chance at playing in European competitions against higher quality opposition without having to get battered by cloggers and journey men in League 1 or 2. Lausanne finished 6th this season, and next season the Swiss League has 5 spots available in UEFA competitions through it's coefficient ranking. With a small improvement Archie could be playing UEFA cup football in a couple of seasons. Sounds better than trying to get into a team who have just strugggled at the wrong end of the Championship.

Also, not all our best talent is being hoovered up by bigger clubs. We've got plenty of youth team players coming through into the first team and only a small handful have moved that we wanted to stay (Delap, Gordon etc.) The world of youth football is a cruel place and if you choose the wrong path it can be the end of what could be a promising career.

I hope he does well and has a fine career.

10 minutes ago, roboto said:

Good luck to him. I have a feeling he will possibly move back to a winger as his career progresses with the option that he can do a decent job as a wing back if needed.

I'm not sure why people are getting so angry about this. He obviously felt he needed to move to progress his career the way he wants it to go. Playing for a team in a top flight league in their country will have a better chance at playing in European competitions against higher quality opposition without having to get battered by cloggers and journey men in League 1 or 2. Lausanne finished 6th this season, and next season the Swiss League has 5 spots available in UEFA competitions through it's coefficient ranking. With a small improvement Archie could be playing UEFA cup football in a couple of seasons. Sounds better than trying to get into a team who have just strugggled at the wrong end of the Championship.

Also, not all our best talent is being hoovered up by bigger clubs. We've got plenty of youth team players coming through into the first team and only a small handful have moved that we wanted to stay (Delap, Gordon etc.) The world of youth football is a cruel place and if you choose the wrong path it can be the end of what could be a promising career.

I hope he does well and has a fine career.

? Sounds like a good move for him. I wondered if he'd go back to being a winger, never thought he was a great FB tbh.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Welcome to the reality of the world we now live in.

European clubs are allowed to hoover up our best talent. But we aren't allowed to sign any European players unless they have umpteen international appearances and a shed load of first-team appearances.

Same rules apply to ManU etc., so they are picking over the bones of our Academy too.

Lovely lovely Br**it. 

Being in the EU wouldn't have prevented this transfer

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

But he’d have the chance to learn under englands record all time goalscorer!

Not if he couldn't get into the first team squad he wouldn't, geddit.

Edited by RoyMac5