Archie Brown - joined Lausanne on permanent deal

Jubbs

Archie was one player who really made me sit up and take notice in the academy games last season. Exceptional talent, with some growth left to do. I believe he is a true wing back, which obviously causes some system issues. Lausanne is beautiful, plus it could be great for him to develop abroad. 

I'd be disappointed, but not at all surprised. 

This is such a shame. Archie is a real talent and one of the brightest prospects in waiting on the wings to step up to the senior team. It'd be good to know what it is that's giving him pause for thought. Perhaps with Fozzy being retained, he feels that with him and Lee Buchanan apparently ahead of him in the pecking order, his first team appearances might be few and far between? Hard to know really but it'll be desperately disappointing to see him go, if that's the option he chooses.

Perhaps if this is the stumbling block, an earlier attempt to secure his signature might have convinced him he was rated and valued. Leaving this to the 11th hour (likewise with Festy) seems to me to be a gross error of judgement, but I suppose we don't know enough to form any hard and fast opinions at this point,

Given the state of the club at present and the downward spiral we show no sign of pulling out of, who can blame him for looking elsewhere? 

If we are starting to lose our academy players without getting much for them (and Archie Brown isn't the first) then that further suggests that our club is heading for desperate times.

Hardly the most upbeat post I know but from the outside looking in we appear to be an absolute shambles.

12 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Given the state of the club at present and the downward spiral we show no sign of pulling out of, who can blame him for looking elsewhere? 

If we are starting to lose our academy players without getting much for them (and Archie Brown isn't the first) then that further suggests that our club is heading for desperate times.

Hardly the most upbeat post I know but from the outside looking in we appear to be an absolute shambles.

Or perhaps they promised him 1st team action and more money - quite rich the Swiss?

19 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Not sure anyone has blamed him at all, but rather expressed disappointment that he has. The two are very different things.

Would not be surprised if Archie moves abroad disappointed yes but not surprised. 

It appears more and more Academy products when they come to the end of their contracts and are not getting first team opportunities are following the likes of Jaydon Sancho and going a similar route. 

15 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Good to see other teams benefiting from our academy! ?

Yeah I mean it's not like we've signed players form West ham, Arsenal and Chelsea's academy in the last year for nothing!! We must be a terrible option.... 

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill, players get released from academy football all the time, Fapetu had been at Arsenal ten years....

Brown looks decent but is he better than Buchanan? No he's not so actually he's gonna be sat on the bench at best, if Lausanne offer him a good deal and first team football, why wouldn't he go? Why is that Derby's fault? Maybe we should be thinking well actually we've already got one academy left back in the first team so that's a real bonus.

Yes, it's probs a bit annoying we didn't get to sell him but the Telegraph says we will get compensation anyway so not sure why we are getting our knickers in a twist?

Id be more concerned about Ebosele signing as I think he looks a beast.... But again, we might have offered him a contract 6 months ago we don't know that they've only just done it