World of crypto

NottsRam77

On 30/09/2021 at 01:01, 86 Hair Islands said:

Buddy, if you believe that crypto markets, or any other for that matter, only move one way, I'd suggest they are not for you. The friend I allude to in my original post lost half his initial investment in Cardano inside 4 months. He held his nerve and retired last week. He's 41 years old. Crypto is as volatile an investment as you could wish for so if the swings and dips are off-putting, find something blue chip instead. I believe Cardano will comfortably clear $30.00 in time and that's the reason I've put it up as one for folk to research with a view to investment.

Anyway, this is pretty much why I was reticent to post in this thread so I'll leave it there and not post further.

How’s Cardano working out for you?

and NFT’s for that matter?

24 minutes ago, tinman said:

How’s Cardano working out for you?

and NFT’s for that matter?

Sold Cardano at $2.78 having held it longer than I should. Bought at under 40 cents though so I did ok, thanks for asking. That's one of two I will be going in again on FWIW. There will be 2 or 3 more 'waves' and it will peak at between $5 and $10.00.

I don't play NFTs and probably never will.

EDIT - Not a value call I just don't get them but...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/meet-pre-teen-crypto-expert-6783517

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

Anyone remember that dot com bubble and the dot com bubble bursting?

I'm pretty sure the internet is still a thing.

Ultimately, the wild new frontier days of crypto will gradually pass and the useful things will become things (e.g. tradable currency that is accepted widely for goods and services, Blockchain as a DRM and copywriting technology etc).

It's not my thing, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be for anyone else. But, beware, or at least be aware of what your buying, why you're buying it, why it's valued and why the value might change.

"If it seems to good to be true...."

I lost 25% of my portfolio. .all house money though ,not going to lose sleep over it at all. Rode the wave of shiva inu last October and pulled out the original investment,then slip it over lots of different coins so haven't been hit thaaat hard. My stocks on the other hand ??

20 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Crypto values run in waves. You buy cheap, dump when the market starts to turn taking your profits and re-invest when the market bottoms out again. Broadly speaking, it's the same as with the stockmarket but far more volatile / exagerated which means that anyone trading crypto needs to checking ADA values very regularly.

This isn't the death of crypto that sceptics have been forecasting forever, it's just the bottom of the wave and folk are still making big money and will continue to do so. We've seen it before and we'll see it again. That said, folk thinking that they can manage their crypto portfolio in the same way that they would blue chip investments will probably have shat their beds by now. 

But you can only know that in hindsight. How do you know we're not just half way down the current wave?. Or worse.

The world (and markets) aren't exactly in a "normal" place right now

31 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

But you can only know that in hindsight. How do you know we're not just half way down the current wave?. Or worse.

The world (and markets) aren't exactly in a "normal" place right now

Fair point wolfie and the answer is I don't. We are already seeing some tokens bouncing however so as with all investments / trades, one simply has to make a margin call. I'm going to be buying this evening in any case, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. If I end up looking a fool, it won't be the first time, or the last, I'm sure, but I'm playing with 'winnings' now so it's a different conundrum to that faced by folk contemplating getting involved for the first time. 

59 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Fair point wolfie and the answer is I don't. We are already seeing some tokens bouncing however so as with all investments / trades, one simply has to make a margin call. I'm going to be buying this evening in any case, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. If I end up looking a fool, it won't be the first time, or the last, I'm sure, but I'm playing with 'winnings' now so it's a different conundrum to that faced by folk contemplating getting involved for the first time. 

Absolutely. Not crypto, but I've just plucked up the courage to open my Plum app & see how my ISA investments are getting on & it's about as I expected. My "balanced bundle" is down about 5% in the last 6 months but my "Tech giants" pot has lost over 20% in that time.

So you're not the only one hoping we're at the bottom of the wave, my friend.

I invest in stocks and shares,but only money I can afford to lose,used to think that I could beat the bookies,stupid me,always losing so switched to the stock market,invest a fixed amount monthly,and although down maybe 8% always confident prices will go up.

Buying Duke Royalty at the mo,they are a company that make loans to businesses,and then take a share of that business profits.They pay a dividend 4 times a year which I reinvest.Another share is Tesco,people have to eat.

Good luck however you invest.

Crypto is coming.

It's utterly a no-brainer.

When it's coming and in what specific form(s), is entirely another matter however.

It could be next year, in 10 years or 25, but it's definitely coming.

Nothing can stop crypto in the long-term this side of something that is apocalyptic. It's merely a natural transition.

A reversal to gold or bartering is far more likely than sticking with a fiat currency.

And fwiw, I have a tiny bit of crypto, but not enough to even bother following the crash other than to read the headlines.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Absolutely. Not crypto, but I've just plucked up the courage to open my Plum app & see how my ISA investments are getting on & it's about as I expected. My "balanced bundle" is down about 5% in the last 6 months but my "Tech giants" pot has lost over 20% in that time.

So you're not the only one hoping we're at the bottom of the wave, my friend.

The whole tech thing perplexes me somewhat as dependence will grow not fall. Naively I bought into the argument that crypto would be the anti-inflation port in a storm but @RadioactiveWastemade an interesting and insightful observation about instituitional investors and the dot.com bubble. I guess when you're managing billion $ funds then you have to react to the market but my instinct tells me they've got it wrong again. I'd sit tight if I were you. There's some difficult times ahead but I'd sooner have money in tech than most other alternatives.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Of course, if anyone else is thinking about buying the dip right now, or going in for the first time,I have 1 question:

Who can you trust for advice?

Good question! Short answer would be nobody really. I was very lucky as despite being a tech nerd, I had some unfounded and unfathomable resisitance to crypto until my much more astute pal explained the blockchain premise and how the value rested in viable applications and not simply the viability of alt currencies. I'm no expert but I would say that I found forums, Reddit groups and the like a lot more impartial and informative than the talking heads and self-proclaimed gurus. 

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Of course, if anyone else is thinking about buying the dip right now, or going in for the first time,I have 1 question:

Who can you trust for advice?

Nobody, least of all strangers or avatars on message boards. 

Read, do your own research, think through viewpoints, but always come to your own conclusions, maybe even dummy trade and learn from your mistakes.

Does that sound reasonable advice?

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Another day of crisis for crypto. 

It's all part of the plans, scare the little guys into selling or push them into liquidation, the big boys will buy up cheap, when mass adoption of Blockchain tech happens the rich get richer, so if you're a little guy like me buy and hold during the fear reap the rewards in the coming years.

Edited by YouRams
Edit