Was it really so bad to spend and try and get to Prem .

Curtains

The poor mismanagement from the ownership on players wages and some ridiculous transfer fees need to be questioned. The club clearly in the past did not have the correct balance on spending, all triggered by an awful recruitment policy.

The division's worst recruitment team has never been reviewed or significantly changed even when reoccurring expensive mistakes have been made. No lessons had been learnt prior to last summer. Players with no resale value being signed for millions and being sold for peanuts or being released. Another 10 million quid out the door this summer out of contract on freebies as it stands, how is this acceptable? It is no wonder the club are stuck in this media circus of trials and negative press coverage. I'd rather we spent within our means then be crippled with debt and be stuck in a hole for years to come. Like having a high credit card limit and banking on a massive pay day to clear the debt. It was a huge risk. And now as a club, we must face the consequences of our failures.

If Mel Morris was not a local businessman, the supporters would have protested about his ownership by now. Why should we keep giving this man a free pass? Because he's invested his big money and money is everything? I appreciate that he had a dream and I am sad for him that it hasn't worked out. Without FFP I reckon we'd have been promoted eventually. But why should his irresponsibility as an owner be acceptable. He could put our club into administration which threatens jobs and points deductions.

Your number one job as an owner is to ensure the club is sustainable for generations. Any rich muppet with money can go out and splash the cash. It's what you do with it that matters.

On 12/05/2021 at 21:15, derbydaz22 said:

Nobody complained at the time and teams like Wolves gambled and it worked out.To compete with parachute payments now is getting almost impossible although teams like Barnsley making the play offs give you hope.

And Brentford

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Technically the administrator tries to get rid of the debts to attract a buyer

Technically the administrator protects the company from creditors whilst trying to get the business saleable to protect employment, see definition  below

"Going into administration is a formal insolvency process aimed at rescuing insolvent businesses as a going concern. When a firm is going into administration, the procedure and the business are managed by an administrator, (an insolvency practitioner), whose goal is to rescue the company and restore it to profitability."

The process cannot get rid of football related debts or debts that are secured against property or personal guarantees, administration is not a magic trick it is a very painful process, and many jobs will go. Only Mel can put the club into administration, this message board cannot.

FWIW I have purchased 4 business out of Administration in the UK and any business like DCFC will not cost £1 it will, having looked at the numbers from prior years and some rough calculations take at least £40million in cash over the next 2 seasons to continue trading.

I cannot see Mel putting the club into Administration unless he runs out of his own personal cash.

On 13/05/2021 at 15:01, TheAllestreeRam said:

Very good diagnosis. 

The problem wasnt the spending but how the money was spent. 

Change of manager = change of squad and the greater the gap in playing style the more players will be useless to the new manager. Mel only really got the idea between Lampard and cocu by trying to bring someone in who wanted to play possession based football, and even then the style was massively different. 

Johnson is a great example, scored 15 or so goals for norwich from left wing and we proceeded to buy him and try to turn him into a DM. He did well in the end I thought but we could have brought a DM for less than half what johnson cost at a much younger age and not have to wait 2 seasons for him to learn the position. 

Just throwing money at things and hoping for the best isnt how to achieve success. 

Good post. Just regarding Johnson, we did initially try to play him as an advanced midfielder in view of his goal record with Norwich. The problem was his technique, passing & mobility were all poor and our forward moves were ending everytime with him. Recall a lot of fan abuse & Johnson reacting a couple of times too. At Norwich, he had Wes Hoolahan dictating play & creating chances for his late runs...he didnt have that at Derby & had to join in buildup play, which he just wasnt good enough to do. Eventually he was dropped for a few months.

It was only during McClaren's second spell that he was finally recalled as a DM with his physicality & aerial presence giving the side a sound base. Agree he was a very expensive DM but having paid so much for him, it was the only way we could get any value out of him.

11 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

Technically the administrator protects the company from creditors whilst trying to get the business saleable to protect employment, see definition  below

"Going into administration is a formal insolvency process aimed at rescuing insolvent businesses as a going concern. When a firm is going into administration, the procedure and the business are managed by an administrator, (an insolvency practitioner), whose goal is to rescue the company and restore it to profitability."

The process cannot get rid of football related debts or debts that are secured against property or personal guarantees, administration is not a magic trick it is a very painful process, and many jobs will go. Only Mel can put the club into administration, this message board cannot.

FWIW I have purchased 4 business out of Administration in the UK and any business like DCFC will not cost £1 it will, having looked at the numbers from prior years and some rough calculations take at least £40million in cash over the next 2 seasons to continue trading.

I cannot see Mel putting the club into Administration unless he runs out of his own personal cash.

I put something together like this last week in terms of no risk of admin unless Mel has truly abandoned us

On 13/05/2021 at 14:22, brady1993 said:

I've mentioned it before but the underlying issues with our transfer activity in the past 5 or so years can be largely encapsulated in a single transfer; Bradley Johnson.

Good post. The opposite happened when Derby walked away from Baggio, due to him being a similar age and expensive. https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-baggio-Derby-county-eranio-3991353

On 13/05/2021 at 19:22, SouthStandDan said:

The poor mismanagement from the ownership on players wages and some ridiculous transfer fees need to be questioned. The club clearly in the past did not have the correct balance on spending, all triggered by an awful recruitment policy.

The division's worst recruitment team has never been reviewed or significantly changed even when reoccurring expensive mistakes have been made. No lessons had been learnt prior to last summer. Players with no resale value being signed for millions and being sold for peanuts or being released. Another 10 million quid out the door this summer out of contract on freebies as it stands, how is this acceptable? It is no wonder the club are stuck in this media circus of trials and negative press coverage. I'd rather we spent within our means then be crippled with debt and be stuck in a hole for years to come. Like having a high credit card limit and banking on a massive pay day to clear the debt. It was a huge risk. And now as a club, we must face the consequences of our failures.

If Mel Morris was not a local businessman, the supporters would have protested about his ownership by now. Why should we keep giving this man a free pass? Because he's invested his big money and money is everything? I appreciate that he had a dream and I am sad for him that it hasn't worked out. Without FFP I reckon we'd have been promoted eventually. But why should his irresponsibility as an owner be acceptable. He could put our club into administration which threatens jobs and points deductions.

Your number one job as an owner is to ensure the club is sustainable for generations. Any rich muppet with money can go out and splash the cash. It's what you do with it that matters.

Just as a bit of a counter to a couple of your points, other than one disastrous season, our net spend on transfers has been negligible.

What exactly do you want the fans protest to be about? Do you want MM to stop spending money? Stick with a manager (despite a large proportion of the fanbase appear to not want to)? I'm as unhappy as the next man with how things are going but I am unsure what anyone wants to achieve from all of these proposed protests and nobody has yet been able to answer that question. 

'He could put our club into administration', what is this based on exactly and what makes you think he would want to do that? He personally has a lot more to lose than gain from doing that. 

On 13/05/2021 at 19:22, SouthStandDan said:

The division's worst recruitment team has never been reviewed or significantly changed even when reoccurring expensive mistakes have been made.

Our head of recruitment is Steve McClarens son and our head of technical scouting is Mels step son. I dont think it will ever change under the current ownership.

I think it's not so much the money but the way it's been spent. There has been no consistency from above or plan that guides us on a consistent basis. This has led to big squad turnover and lost value due to differing styles that don't suit the players that we've had. Pearson and Anya being two standout examples of imprudent investment that has cost us dearly. I do also think that whilst it's fine to spend money if you can reasonable afford it, if you cannot and it puts the club at risk then it's a strategy that shouldn't be pursued. It seems that Mel has overstepped this mark in the past couple of years and for that he can and should be blamed, just because he's a fan of the club doesn't mean he can get away with what appears to be absolutely terrible mismanagement.