Was it really so bad to spend and try and get to Prem .

Curtains

Mel gets stick for overspending.

Other club owners get stick for not backing their managers and not splashing the cash.

To me, Mel's mistakes have been the managerial appointments.

Managers with different styles of play meant that each new manager went to recruit different types of player. That resulted in a hotch pot of a squad.

It needed a clear out, a reset and a long term plan to rebuild the club.

I had hoped that we would have that under Cocu. That's why I backed him so heavily.

The more aged and expensive players left as their contracts expired. Unfortunately, however, by then a lack of money and transfer embargoes inhibited replacing them.

Without reopening the debate again, it didn't work out this season on the pitch and Cocu left.

But whether we get new owners or not, whether Rooney stays as manager or we go for someone else..... We still need that rebuild process to be completed. Hopefully with a mix of academy graduates and quality acquisitions.

4 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Nobody complained at the time and teams like Wolves gambled and it worked out.To compete with parachute payments now is getting almost impossible although teams like Barnsley making the play offs give you hope.

We were Barnsley when we lost to QPR.

It will be interesting to see how they respond if they lose in the playoffs. 

We went with offering Premier League wanted players a Premier League salary and long contract to stay, in the hope we'd be next. The sort of decisions that lead to Richard Keogh picking up £24k a week, before bonuses!

I'd bet Barnsley go a different way, as Brentford have before them. Realise players maximum value, and replace them with the next hungry young thing from a lower league.

If we'd have spent on the right sort of players, then it would have been a gamble worth taking. Most of the signings we made though were badly planned, overpriced and really bad value. The likes of Butterfield, Blackman, Camara, Anya, Shackell, Malone and Jozefzoon were all ridiculously overpriced. Even Johnson and Waghorn were way too expensive too. That for me is Mel's biggest mistake of all, having the wrong scouting setup. 

19 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Other teams have done it and are prospering now. 

Portsmouth and Sunderland gambled big too.

Mel bought the club, and is entitled in many ways to spend as little or as much money he likes to chase his dream. He however had/has, in my view, a responsibility to have a long term plan to protect the best interests of our club, and as custodian to always be in a position to ensure that funds are available so the club does not go under. He remains a very rich man fortunately, so therefore there really is no reason why he should not keep funding the club until he has passed the baton to a new ‘fit and proper’ owner.

Spending money wasn’t really the problem Curtains. Having apparently no strategic plan (other than something about the ‘Derby way’), no decent (or at least assertive) senior executives, and hiring a rag tag bunch of managers has been the problem, changing our shape, systems, and playing personnel every managerial change. 

Just now, SecretDave said:

If we'd have spent on the right sort of players, then it would have been a gamble worth taking. Most of the signings we made though were badly planned, overpriced and really bad value. The likes of Butterfield, Blackman, Camara, Anya, Shackell, Malone and Jozefzoon were all ridiculously overpriced. Even Johnson and Waghorn were way too expensive too. That for me is Mel's biggest mistake of all, having the wrong scouting setup. 

Mel wouldn’t have chosen the players though so I wouldn’t blame him for that .

I think there is an argument for picking wrong managers but that’s not something I would say you could foresee so I’m not sure I’d blame him for that either .

Covid 19 is very hard on Derby at the minute with lowered revenue streams .

Derby more than most clubs rely  on there fan base with ticket sales and corporate stuff on match days .

I think that's the issue. No problem with going for it..but we were never creative..we didn't have an overseas scouting team we didn't seem to have anyone expertly looking over lower league players..we didn't have stats guys identifying undervalued potential...we pretty much just bought high and sold low. It was amateur hour ..that was the big problem..

3 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

But isn't that the fault of the different managers that we had? Mel just backed their judgment.

As I've said, I think Mel's mistake has been the managerial appointments that he made.