Relegation watch

Spanish

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

We have the game against Birmingham

Technically, you could argue it is in our own hands. Win every game, including Birmingham, and we'll finish above them.

On the other hand, Birmingham could say the same. So, it's no more in our own hands than theirs.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

It is because there are a number of match ups.  If we win every game and brum lose to rovrum we don’t go down.  THere are a small number of other results

I think Udders have got a trickier run in than us but they are above us...

The results went quite well today.  ie 2 out of 3 

Rotherham had their best chance of a win tonight but then will be tired from now on. 

Rotherham have Cov and Brum next all fighting to stay up .

We can’t rely on other teams losing we need to win ourselves.

3 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Just realised that it’s actually not technically in our hands to stay up!

Quite frightening...

Coventry beat Rotherham they have 45. Rotherham win the other two in hand they have 45. Both with goal difference .  

As you say the situation is dire.   It could be less dire if we grind a Blackburn win. Unfortunately, I can't recall any team being so abject in front of goal as this one.  ?

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Coventry beat Rotherham they have 45. Rotherham win the other two in hand they have 45. Both with goal difference .  

As you say the situation is dire.   It could be less dire if we grind a Blackburn win. Unfortunately, I can't recall any team being so abject in front of goal as this one.  ?

It’s not dire .

Far from it 

We’ve just had two tough games against decent opposition where people were expecting a point at best, we performed well and should’ve had more. 

We now have 4 extremely winnable games out of the last 5 if we play well. The last time we played mid table opposition we won deservedly and by 2 goals. That was only last week. It is totally in our hands. As many have said if we don’t get the points from those games we deserve to go down. 

I’ve said 48 points will be enough, I still think that and we’ll get there playing how we’ve done the last 3 matches. If we play like we did before the international break then we won’t win another game this season. 

We sort ourselves out and let the other teams worry about who replaces Rotherham. We could even drag Blackburn and Preston into it in the next week!

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That's my point really. What gives you any hope that Rotherham winning twice would make a difference to our performances?

I'm confident that the management and team are already all too aware of how precarious our position is but seem incapable of doing anything about it.

Well we might start going out to win games if we are under some pressure.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Worse than dire then . Probably undersold it.

Don’t think so .

Rotherham play Cov and Brum next 2 games .

Even if they win both they will get even more tired and drop the other 2 teams in a bad situation 

17 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Just realised that it’s actually not technically in our hands to stay up!

Quite frightening...

Well it is, 5 wins 100% keeps us up. Other teams around us play each other, and we play teams around us too.

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

The results went quite well today.  ie 2 out of 3 

Rotherham had their best chance of a win tonight but then will be tired from now on. 

Rotherham have Cov and Brum next all fighting to stay up .

We can’t rely on other teams losing we need to win ourselves.

Amen. Maximum concentration and application from the whole team needed. 

Yes we're thin on strikers, but look at the goals we've been conceding in the last couple of games - the whole team needs to be stepping up. With daydreaming defenders and half arsed midfielders it exposes our shortcomings in attack. We're so soft we're not giving ourselves a chance. 

I have no idea if our gaggle of first team coaches can get us over the line but they have to wring every ounce out of the team for the next few weeks. 

Then get sacked when Erik comes to town.... ?

What concerns me are four key things. 

1) our defending from set pieces- in our last 3 games we've been woeful defending from set pieces, Luton, Reading, and Norwich have all had 2 or more chances from corners or crossed free kicks. We've given away numerous free headers and have had a few lucky handballs waved away- against teams like Preston, Birmingham etc. this is a critical area we need to tighten up on. 

2) Our lack of creativity- It's not only that we don't score many we don't create many guilt edge chances either. We are too often reliant upon a shot 20 yards out to get a goal rather than creating 1 vs 1's or a clear shot inside the box. We're chronically poor in our chance creation and composure in the final third. 

3) Our lack of goals- CKR is quickly reverting back to the player we thought we'd signed after his initial purple patch. Apart from him we have Gregory who doesn't ooze goals either- essentially we've got 2 strikers whose skill set is pretty much exactly the same (great at hold up not to so great at scoring). Our wide players and midfielders don't contribute much to the goal tally either- at this point I'd welcome back Waghorn just because he can take a good freekick now and again. 

4) Our current form- Our form has absolutely nosedived in the past dozen games or so.  We're simply not winning games or getting enough points on the board atm and we've got 5 games to turn it around. We played well in the second half against Norwich and Luton but I can't remember the last time we looked solid and played well for 90 minutes. Both Blackburn and Preston are in as bad as form as us so winning at least 1 of these games is imperative but I can't say I'm confident we will. 

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Who does? A lot of us recognise we are in trouble...

Well it’s ducking obvious we are in trouble, but then so are at least 3 other teams (plus Wycombe and Wednesday who are down) id be amazed if anyone tried to argue we’re not in trouble. 

People are looking at this like we’re not going to get another win this season, reality is if that happens we will go down. The run we went on in March has meant it is going to be a scrap to the end, I’ve seen enough in the last three games to suggest we’ll get the points we need.

Archived