Match Thread - Blackburn Rovers v Derby County - Friday 16th April, 6pm

i-Ram

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

"thoroughly" wasn't the adverb I'd have used. I've not watched it yet, so I've no idea whether your being sarcastic or not.

I have my suspicions.

I really enjoyed It. It was a great game. 
It’s easier to enjoy It when you don’t care if we go down or not. 
you should embrace It. 

Forget the cocu v Rooney argument s ,,,, neither were/ are up to the Derby job,,,,we were in a relegation battle and appointed a rookie as manager and a tv pundit who talks the talk ( easy when you don’t need to walk the walk) who was a big part of a failing previous management team??‍♂️, Rooney had a purple patch but is now lost in his inexperience 

8 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

think the squad, apart from Bielik, is devoid of any real quality

We have zero quality, not one of the starting 11 today would get in a top half championship side. Our player of the year was someone we signed from relegated Wigan, says all you need to know about our squad. Poor recruiting and an over hyped academy sees us fighting for our lives to stay in the Championship, along with a rookie manager and his “well he was a good pundit on sky” assistant, we are an absolute poo show. 

10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Don't forget David Marshall, who's been relegated at every club he's been at apart from Celtic ?

And that’s only because Spondon Rovers U11s couldn’t get relegated from that league ??

9 hours ago, Spanish said:

If we are able to continue that form until the end of the season we will escape.  That was an open game that could have gone either way.  If we play like that and get relegated well so be it

Er... Do you mean what you write? 

Screenshot_20210417-083207_Chrome.jpg

12 hours ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

What will be will be. If that’s league 1 then so be it. Good chance to blood more youngsters, rebuild, reset and go again in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong. Desperately want to stay up and be fighting for promotion next season. But realistically, that’s a pipe dream. Stick with Rooney, rebuild and go again whatever happens for me. 

If you think that league 1 is a better place to blood kids you will be sadly mistaken.  

People have to get away from the idea that  technically gifted players who have looked ok in the championship will logically find dropping down to league 1 or in turn league 2 will find it easier or shine more due to the drop in standard. 

Players like like the youngsters we have will find league 1 impossible. They will be eaten up and find that that type of football ruthlessly exposes every weakness that have, every part of the game they find tough and every attribute they didn’t need in U23s football and Championship football will be required! 

The ball starts in the air and stays there. Games are a millions miles an hour of blood and thunder and physical attrition. No one puts their foot on the ball and passes it and if anyone try’s it’s often done on poor pitches with someone’s size 9 up their backside or raking down their calves. 

I honestly believe it is easier for technically gifted players to cope with life in the Championship than it is in league 1 and 2.

9 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

not creating a balanced team is a tactical issue- he's got both full-backs and centre mids pushing way too far forwards when he puts us as an attacking outfit. This is leaving the cb's over exposed, so much so a blind man could see it and it's got nothing to do with personnel. All it's taking is one long ball in the right place and they struggle to cope, my guess it he hopes to create a 'cage' where the opposition can't break out and this might work if you played with Man Utd and not Derby where you have Fedinand and Vidic- not Clarke and Wisdom. 

Tactics were right yesterday. We had to push and our midfield looked stronger than previous matches in more advanced positions. We had options off the ball and had good movement. Passing a bit dodgy as normal first part of the match. I could not disagree with any of the subs or way we played. Kazim Richards came on and had two glorious chances! We kept Blackburn camped in their half for a lot if the first half, they looked dangerous on the break but tactics were not to blame yesterday. Individual errors and inability to finish chances cost us. Again, the players have proven to be not good enough when it matters. 

23 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Tactics were right yesterday. We had to push and our midfield looked stronger than previous matches in more advanced positions. We had options off the ball and had good movement. Passing a bit dodgy as normal first part of the match. I could not disagree with any of the subs or way we played. Kazim Richards came on and had two glorious chances! We kept Blackburn camped in their half for a lot if the first half, they looked dangerous on the break but tactics were not to blame yesterday. Individual errors and inability to finish chances cost us. Again, the players have proven to be not good enough when it matters. 

?

We hit the post and should have had a penalty too. But too many of our players look like they 'couldn't score in a brothel'. 

Possession: 57%

Shots 12

Shots on Target 6

Corners 5

More than enough opportunity.

6 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

First half the tactics were generally right yes I agree and said as much in this thread. The alternating of the front 4 and attacking fluidity meant that Blackburn really struggled to cope with us. I remember 1 chance for CKR with the header but not the second 'big chance' that he had? When he was brought on that attacking fluidity lost its sharpness and Blackburn looked far more comfortable dealing with us. We became far more one dimensional in an attacking sense and it seemed to suit them better. Apart from our last 5 minute heave to try and get something that we always do, we largely seemed to fizzle out in the second half in an attacking sense. 

Defending set pieces is a serious issue for us that points to poor coaching, the past 4 games (Luton, Reading, Norwich and Blackburn) we've given up at least 1 (oftentimes 2 or more) clear cut chance to the opposition. That points to set pieces structurally being a problem for us rather than individual errors. I even pointed this out after the Norwich game that our defending of set pieces was going to get punished eventually. Why I can see it but apparently the coaching staff cannot is an absolute mystery to me. 

The second half points to a serious problem for us- the inability to play attacking football without being left completely overexposed at the back. Armstrong alone had 4 guilt edge chances second half and no they weren't all the result of individual errors but are largely a result of the team being structurally unbalanced. Rooney hasn't really fixed this- i think overlapping with both full backs and pushing the midfield on so much leads to our cb's being left completely overexposed. We can't leave our guys 1 vs 1 with opponents attackers as eventually they'll make an error- tactics can't eliminate errors but if you've got average championship cb's then you need to mitigate the risk of an error occurring which is something we're not doing. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

We hit the post and should have had a penalty too. But too many of our players look like they 'couldn't score in a brothel'. 

Possession: 57%

Shots 12

Shots on Target 6

Corners 5

More than enough opportunity.

Exactly, I can’t believe we lost yesterday but that’s Derby. maybe it’s just destined for Derby to be relegated, the opposition keeper becomes super human when he plays us and we do hit the post a fair few times. 

2 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Exactly, I can’t believe we lost yesterday but that’s Derby. maybe it’s just destined for Derby to be relegated, the opposition keeper becomes super human when he plays us and we do hit the post a fair few times. 

Yep there's a reason why 'strikers' cost lots, even ordinary ones. I think we were really unlucky with Gregory getting injured he made a difference up front.

Regarding the penalty decision, here’s what I think happened. There was a lot of talk about a couple of last minute penalties earlier this season involving Swansea, where Neil Warnock moaned a whole bunch. Despite the ref’s perfect position, I suspect that he didn’t want to give the penalty because if he gave it and got it wrong he would come under more scrutiny than if he didn’t give it and got it wrong (which is what happened). Of course he’s still come under scrutiny but the headline is not that we were robbed of draw, whereas if the penalty was given and say Ebosele actually dived to win it, the headline would be that the ref has robbed Blackburn with a terrible penalty decision in the last minute. 

I’m not defending the ref here. He’s still an absolute disgrace but this is the mind of the referee nowadays. They’re always thinking about how making a decision will reflect on their reputation/cause controversy rather than just making the right decision. 

Archived