Match Thread - Blackburn Rovers v Derby County - Friday 16th April, 6pm

i-Ram

10 minutes ago, nottingram said:

He has had much more time and had the benefit of having a player who is in the top 5 in the league in any position for a couple of months. Given how we have been both pre Bielik being fit and post him being injured again it is hard not to conclude that he has done an awful lot of heavy lifting for Rooney.

The squad isn’t great but compare it to Rotherham, Coventry, Preston on an individual basis. We’re hugely underperforming this season and Rooney has been in charge for three quarters of it. 

I thought tonight’s performance was far better than anything rolled out by cocu this season.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, nottingram said:

He has had much more time and had the benefit of having a player who is in the top 5 in the league in any position for a couple of months. Given how we have been both pre Bielik being fit and post him being injured again it is hard not to conclude that he has done an awful lot of heavy lifting for Rooney.

The squad isn’t great but compare it to Rotherham, Coventry, Preston on an individual basis. We’re hugely underperforming this season and Rooney has been in charge for three quarters of it. 

Cocu had 14 months

Just now, Spanish said:

I thought tonight’s performance was far better than anything rolled out by cocu this season.

It probably was, I didn’t watch but we were awful under Cocu. We’ve mostly been awful under Rooney too though, a couple of months with Bielik aside.

Not really arguing Cocu should’ve stayed or even that Rooney should go. But I am confused by the inconsistency in opinion. A half decent performance, and loss, at a team who’ve been the worst in the league over the last third of the season is in no way good enough. The squad isn’t great but individually it isn’t even close to being the 4th worst in the division.

2 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Cocu had 14 months

I’m not defending Cocu. He deserved to go. But he was sacked on the basis of this season where he had 2 months, 0 with Bielik. Rooney has had 5 and we are barely better if at all if you ignore the purple patch where as mentioned Bielik did some serious heavy lifting.

All I am wondering about is the inconsistency in opinion ??

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

It probably was, I didn’t watch but we were awful under Cocu. We’ve mostly been awful under Rooney too though, a couple of months with Bielik aside.

Not really arguing Cocu should’ve stayed or even that Rooney should go. But I am confused by the inconsistency in opinion. A half decent performance, and loss, at a team who’ve been the worst in the league over the last third of the season is in no way good enough. The squad isn’t great but individually it isn’t even close to being the 4th worst in the division.

They didn’t look that bad tonight I thought, I was quite surprised by them

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I think the squad, apart from Bielik, is devoid of any real quality. We continually make mistakes at the back, are dominated in midfield and have very little cutting edge and goal threat. No surprise at all to me to find us where we are, it’s where we deserve to be...

If i could chuck Rooney out of Pride Park right now I would- we've picked up 8 points from the last 12 games and he cost us this game i think with his substitutions breaking up our attacking fluidity and adding to our defensive weaknesses. If any other manager had this record far more people would be wanting to put his professional head on a spike. I actually can't remember the last time we performed not for 40 minutes or 50 minutes but for 90 minutes of a game? This is why we're near the bottom- we've given half performances all season long including today. Despite the attacking prowess of the first half we could have easily conceded 4 in the second and the fact we are hoping for a draw against a team who was next to us as bottom in the form table speaks volumes. 

I do think we have the talent to stay up but I doubt we have the hunger, discipline or tactical aptitude to do so. This ridiculous obsession with big time wannabe managers has led us to this point of staring relegation in the face and hoping rotherham can't win a game.  His idiotic comments about survival being a certainty (when we're sitting 4 points above the drop) and only when stoke came around did he acknowledge we were in a relegation battle speaks volumes about his arrogance, ineptitude, and inexperience in this job.  How can anyone seriously defend this with a straight face? If it wasn't happening to Derby it'd be laughable instead it's simple terrifying. 

1 minute ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

It is definitely a personnel issue as much or more than tactical. We've had a thin squad all season. Can't believe it's all down to tactics! No way!

not creating a balanced team is a tactical issue- he's got both full-backs and centre mids pushing way too far forwards when he puts us as an attacking outfit. This is leaving the cb's over exposed, so much so a blind man could see it and it's got nothing to do with personnel. All it's taking is one long ball in the right place and they struggle to cope, my guess it he hopes to create a 'cage' where the opposition can't break out and this might work if you played with Man Utd and not Derby where you have Fedinand and Vidic- not Clarke and Wisdom. 

13 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

If i could chuck Rooney out of Pride Park right now I would- we've picked up 8 points from the last 12 games and he cost us this game i think with his substitutions breaking up our attacking fluidity and adding to our defensive weaknesses. If any other manager had this record far more people would be wanting to put his professional head on a spike. I actually can't remember the last time we performed not for 40 minutes or 50 minutes but for 90 minutes of a game? This is why we're near the bottom- we've given half performances all season long including today. Despite the attacking prowess of the first half we could have easily conceded 4 in the second and the fact we are hoping for a draw against a team who was next to us as bottom in the form table speaks volumes. 

I do think we have the talent to stay up but I doubt we have the hunger, discipline or tactical aptitude to do so. This ridiculous obsession with big time wannabe managers has led us to this point of staring relegation in the face and hoping rotherham can't win a game.  His idiotic comments about survival being a certainty (when we're sitting 4 points above the drop) and only when stoke came around did he acknowledge we were in a relegation battle speaks volumes about his arrogance, ineptitude, and inexperience in this job.  How can anyone seriously defend this with a straight face? If it wasn't happening to Derby it'd be laughable instead it's simple terrifying. 

Yes, agree with most of that. Rooney and certain contributors on this forum can say as many times as they like that we definitely won’t go down but it’s water off a ducks back now. I prefer to come to a judgement based on what I am seeing on the pitch. There is now no game that we go in to that I expect us to win, be that Blackburn, Preston, Brum or Sheff Wednesday. We are where we are because we are simply not good enough.

6 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

It is definitely a personnel issue as much or more than tactical. We've had a thin squad all season. Can't believe it's all down to tactics! No way!

He puts both full backs forwards because he seems to largely rely upon the wings to create chances  as opposed to going through the middle and this is exacerbated since we played a lot of the time with inverted wingers. Thus, a lot of crosses come from full backs in our play, even today in the first half which was a good display going forward for 25 minutes it was largely reliant on the wing play. The middle seems to be the focus to feed the wings but defensively this leads us to be totally overexposed and extremely vulnerable to any team with some tactical intelligence which in the championship is almost all of them. 

5 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Really? We looked far more effective tonight than we did in those games

But we lost, ended their dreadful run like we so often do against poor teams who struggle to beat anyone else. It’s not effective if you end up losing game after game is it...

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But we lost, ended their dreadful run like we so often do against poor teams who struggle to beat anyone else. It’s not effective if you end up losing game after game is it...

Did we lose well I missed that!

Archived