New management team required - NOW

8 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Think we had more depth last season and general competition for places. It might be better now with loans but if there is a comparison with benches for the most part this season and last season it looks different. 

I don't think this is entirely true 

From last season the players not here that played over 900 minutes are Bogle, Lowe, Hamer, Martin, Rooney, Malone, Evans, Huddlestone, Mariott, Holmes and you could argue Davies as well given his injury. 

Of those Bogle is replaced by Byrne, Hamer by Marshall, Evans by Mengi, Martin by CKR, Mariott by Gregory, Huddlestone/Rooney (combined the two as Huddlestone left before the season finished and Rooney joined part way) by Benigame, Davies by Edmundson, Holmes by Jozwiak, Lowe by increased time by Buchanan. The only I'd say hasn't been replaced is Malone but it was a position that was overload. You also have to factor in the likes of Bird, Knight, and Sibley only emerged properly late into the season. 

So in terms of depth it's pretty much the same. You could argue that overall the replacements are worse and I'd agree it's probably overall a little worse but it's not 9+ places worse and that's the crucial point I'm arguing for. This squad isn't as bad as it's made out to be and it's coaching/management can be assigned a big portion of the blame as to why it's underperforming. 

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/03/2021 at 14:14, DCFClks said:

Would a manager who finished 4th in the Premier League last season and has a record of qualifying for a Championship play-offs be proven enough?

No. Despite spending millions, failed and subsequently sacked at Chelsea. Acknowledge we were the beneficiary of some quality loans which masked overall poor management in scraping 6th spot., lucky v Leeds and shown to be tactically naive v Villa.

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I don't think this is entirely true 

From last season the players not here that played over 900 minutes are Bogle, Lowe, Hamer, Martin, Rooney, Malone, Evans, Huddlestone, Mariott, Holmes and you could argue Davies as well given his injury. 

Of those Bogle is replaced by Byrne, Hamer by Marshall, Evans by Mengi, Martin by CKR, Mariott by Gregory, Huddlestone/Rooney (combined the two as Huddlestone left before the season finished and Rooney joined part way) by Benigame, Davies by Edmundson, Holmes by Jozwiak, Lowe by increased time by Buchanan. The only I'd say hasn't been replaced is Malone but it was a position that was overload. You also have to factor in the likes of Bird, Knight, and Sibley only emerged properly late into the season. 

So in terms of depth it's pretty much the same. You could argue that overall the replacements are worse and I'd agree it's probably overall a little worse but it's not 9+ places worse and that's the crucial point I'm arguing for. This squad isn't as bad as it's made out to be and it's coaching/management can be assigned a big portion of the blame as to why it's underperforming. 

Seemed that way. January 28th last year losing to Luton our bench was Roos Shinnie Davies Martin Forsyth Whittaker Marriott. a year later (V Bristol) Watson Brown Hector- Ingram Sibley Waghorn McDonald Mitchell -Lawson 

1 hour ago, Pearson. said:

No. Despite spending millions, failed and subsequently sacked at Chelsea. Acknowledge we were the beneficiary of some quality loans which masked overall poor management in scraping 6th spot., lucky v Leeds and shown to be tactically naive v Villa.

We weren’t lucky v Leeds. We shat on them.

18 hours ago, Pearson. said:

No failure just an over zealous owner at Chelsea.Quality loans identified and recruited.Loved his enthusiasm on the touch line and overall match summary.Lucky at Leeds !! You don’t luck 4 goals.You obviously weren’t there

1 hour ago, dcfc4ever said:

No failure just an over zealous owner at Chelsea.Quality loans identified and recruited.Loved his enthusiasm on the touch line and overall match summary.Lucky at Leeds !! You don’t luck 4 goals.You obviously weren’t there

He was lucky Holmes got injured and his hand was forced. Then Bennett at Wembley . Game over.

18 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

I’d happily take that season again

Relative to which seasons ? The seasons we were champions of England ? promotion seasons ?,other near miss promotion seasons ? Or just the mess we are just now?

personally as someone who was very positive to appointing lampard on here before he was appointed when many didn’t want him my overall view on balance of everything through his time with us I wouldn’t have him back , very mediocre ,took us from 6 th to 6th , spent plenty and apart from one special evening at Leeds no better than rowett ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Relative to which seasons ? The seasons we were champions of England ? promotion seasons ?,other near miss promotion seasons ? Or just the mess we are just now?

personally as someone who was very positive to appointing lampard on here before he was appointed when many didn’t want him my overall view on balance of everything through his time with us I wouldn’t have him back , very mediocre ,took us from 6 th to 6th , spent plenty and apart from one special evening at Leeds no better than rowett ??‍♂️

It was great at the time. Nobody was complaining when we running riot at the Hawthorns 4-0 up, snatching late winners at Carrow road, playing Chelsea off the park or dumping mourinhos man United out of the cup. I could go on. 

In hindsight a lot of his signings didn't work out and he left us in a mess. Not sure whether that is all down to him though, these things have been going on at the club for years. 

39 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It was great at the time. Nobody was complaining when we running riot at the Hawthorns 4-0 up, snatching late winners at Carrow road, playing Chelsea off the park or dumping mourinhos man United out of the cup. I could go on. 

In hindsight a lot of his signings didn't work out and he left us in a mess. Not sure whether that is all down to him though, these things have been going on at the club for years. 

There was plenty of moaning in between those games though!

2 hours ago, dcfc4ever said:

I’d happily take that season again

Yer Lampard did a great job zero progress from the previous season with 3 home international players all season in his side, dread to think what the outcome would be if he didn't have those players available.

39 minutes ago, Coconut said:

There was plenty of moaning in between those games though!

Sure there was, I remember it well. It wasn't perfect, but let's not pretend it wasn't a good season. The problems at the club go beyond lampard. It's not all about his signings

For me, Lampard’s season has got go down as satisfactory taking into account it was his first season in management. It could have gone so wrong and let’s be honest probably would have had it not been for the three loans.

His team selection and tactics at Wembley gave me the hump admittedly, and some performances did leave a lot to be desired but to maintain a top 6 finish to the season was quite reasonable to me. ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

For me, Lampard’s season has got go down as satisfactory taking into account it was his first season in management. It could have gone so wrong and let’s be honest probably would have had it not been for the three loans.

His team selection and tactics at Wembley gave me the hump admittedly, and some performances did leave a lot to be desired but to maintain a top 6 finish to the season was quite reasonable to me. ?‍♂️

Some people forget Lampard was seen as a long term appointment when he signed and I believe he would have learnt and improve had he stayed. 

Also why does everyone mention the loans like they were a negative thing and hold it against him? It was his connections that secured the loans, aren't good connections part of being a manager?

1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

Also why does everyone mention the loans like they were a negative thing and hold it against him? It was his connections that secured the loans, aren't good connections part of being a manager?

It's just because when they returned to their parent clubs, it left gaping holes in the team. This of course coincided with Frank going to Chelsea and so a lot of people hold it against him. 

6 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

My main criticism of Lampard is what happened after that purple patch vs Wba, Boro and Chelsea when we played so well?

One big defeat at home to Villa and he bottled it. We looked great for a few games, then he never attacked like that again.

ROONEY'S RELATIONSHIP WITH Derby OWNER STRAINED  

Wayne Rooney's relationship with Derby owner Mel Morris has become strained following the collapse of the proposed takeover by Sheik Khaled earlier this month. 

The former England captain had received repeated assurances that the sale of the club would go through before he took the manager's job.

The uncertainty surrounding the club's ownership has added to Rooney's problems as he battles to keep Derby in the Championship, with four players sold to raise funds during the January transfer window and more likely to leave in the summer if Morris remains in charge.

Rooney has also had to contend with players' grievances at not being paid on time on several occasions this season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9407797/AHEAD-GAME-Manager-Graham-Potter-faces-inquest-Brighton.html

28 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

My main criticism of Lampard is what happened after that purple patch vs Wba, Boro and Chelsea when we played so well?

One big defeat at home to Villa and he bottled it. We looked great for a few games, then he never attacked like that again.

I agree, we were well in the hunt for automatic promotion at the time because we were playing so well. That first half against Boro was some of the best football in ages. We just completely fell away after that and had to climb back up the table just to get into sixth place. 

Archived