Rooney, manager, mid-term report

IslandExile

- Still in a relegation battle

- A style of football reminiscent of the final months of Gary Rowett (harsh on GR)

- Best youngsters all largely regressing since the start of the season

- Most talked-about youngster now being seemingly frozen out and publicly criticised for not “doing more” despite constantly having to come on as a sub and being played consistently out of position 

- One of the highest paid, if not THE highest paid manager in the division 

What’s to like?

Would never ever have got the job if his name wasn’t Wayne Rooney and is just proving once again that a brilliant footballer does not necessarily make a brilliant football manager.

Appreciate that I am in the minority on this and that I apparently “have it out” for him, but I just don’t and have never understood the love-in or indeed the massive over-hyping of his time in charge so far. And that includes the Athletic and their “Rooney Revolution” nonsense. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

But how much of that is down to have Bielik fit for a time, Wisdom fully fit, CKR fit and not have to account for a past it Rooney trundling about the pitch not doing a deal? 

Recent performances which are worse than anything served up under Cocu this season, tells me a lot. And that is with a more experienced team.

It comes back to this old point. We rewarded failure. Not just staff wise, but players too.

I believed Cocu wanted to build a side around Bird, Knight, Whittaker, Sibley and Buchanan. I'd take the highs and lows of that anyday. By next season we may have none of that. 

This has not been an easy situation for Rooney, but he is making it hard for me to get behind him in the way I know we need to.

Fans were quick to blame Cocu for not getting the best out of the players early on, now it is the players not good enough? I think we were in for a rough season regardless but Waghorn and Lawrence not turning up has made it very difficult.

39 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Should have stuck with Cocu. Minus Bielik, we’re no better than we were under him and at least he had experience to draw on. 

God, that’s depressing. 

And at least he seemed to understand how to manage Sibley and co.

46 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

- Still in a relegation battle

- A style of football reminiscent of the final months of Gary Rowett (harsh on GR)

- Best youngsters all largely regressing since the start of the season

- Most talked-about youngster now being seemingly frozen out and publicly criticised for not “doing more” despite constantly having to come on as a sub and being played consistently out of position 

- One of the highest paid, if not THE highest paid manager in the division 

What’s to like?

Would never ever have got the job if his name wasn’t Wayne Rooney and is just proving once again that a brilliant footballer does not necessarily make a brilliant football manager.

Appreciate that I am in the minority on this and that I apparently “have it out” for him, but I just don’t and have never understood the love-in or indeed the massive over-hyping of his time in charge so far. And that includes the Athletic and their “Rooney Revolution” nonsense. 

Everythings relative though that's the nub of the argument. My gran would seem like a top class manager compared to Cocus start this season.

I can’t quite understand the suggestion that we should have stuck with Cocu.

Two less decorated managers in Paunovic and Ismael have come from overseas and shown more of an aptitude for this league in seven months than Cocu did in his entire tenure.

We were absolutely right to get rid of Cocu. The mistake we made was not having a complete clear-out and shake up afterwards.

Cocu's style of slow build up play in the Championship was always going to fail. Currently Wayne is trying to be too defensive tactically in games and its not working. Its hard to call, with Wayne this season with lack of funds to improve the team in January. Lets hope we have new ownership with funds to improve the current squad and then revisit Rooney's progress.

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I can’t quite understand the suggestion that we should have stuck with Cocu.

Two less decorated managers in Paunovic and Ismael have come from overseas and shown more of an aptitude for this league in seven months than Cocu did in his entire tenure.

We were absolutely right to get rid of Cocu. The mistake we made was not having a  complete clear-out and shake up afterwards.

We could'nt afford a complete clear out

I feel a bit sorry for Rooney in how the goodwill he engendered has dissipated. I'm not happy about the money we're paying him but he wasn't the one who made the decision to bring him to the club. I like to think WR may reflect on the last few games & adopt his approach after four games without a goal. I do tire of the Bielik as Superman comparisons. Bielik brought balance to the midfield but also his attitude was just what a side low on confidence needed and this has been sorely missed. CKR also brought it, too. 

The players have got to start showing more bravery in the final third, to try & attempt different things even if they don't come off the first time.

I do think Rooney may tinker with the midfield & some players may be starting to play their way into the manager's thinking like Watson & Roberts in the final third. I think one criticism I have of Rooney is that he has changed our back four, where I advocate trying to at least keep one unit with as few changes as possible so the understandings improve/continue: Byrne/Wisdom & Clarke/Buchanan.

I also feel sorry for the likes of Knight, it has been a long season, physically & mentally, and perhaps he could do with a rest. The captaincy has been taken off him which suggests he has been carrying a lot of responsibility for a 20 year old. Rooney's hand may be forced & Baningime given a start. Who knows, maybe a rejigged midfield with Shinnie (physical), Baningime (energy) & Watson (guile, creativity) & stick with this for a couple of games.

New to management so needs time. 

He'll learn he can't change the team as much as he does. It's fine adjusting tactics for the opposition, but not changing them completely. Once he gets that, he'll do alright. 

I seem to remember loads of threads with fans saying he's won them over. He'll get the team playing like that again, I'm sure of it. 

Just stop being a tinkerman, that's all. Develop a team identity. A team can't improve if they have to change all the time. Needs to take his own advice and keep it simple. 

Rooney's management is absolutely fine. Today we got in great positions maybe 15 times and the only reason we didn't score was because of poor final balls, missed sitters and players not having enough nous or belief to get on the end of good balls into the box.

Tactically we were sound today, it was individuals not being good enough at vital moments that let us down.

My only criticism was the lack of urgency in the last ten minutes when we were reluctant to get the ball forward quickly.

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Rooney's management is absolutely fine. Today we got in great positions maybe 15 times and the only reason we didn't score was because of poor final balls, missed sitters and players not having enough nous or belief to get on the end of good balls into the box.

Tactically we were sound today, it was individuals not being good enough at vital moments that let us down.

My only criticism was the lack of urgency in the last ten minutes when we were reluctant to get the ball forward quickly.

If the players are so far out of position and not being 'brave' there's a reason for that and it's a coaching issue uttox....

Not good enough.

Not sure why so many were saying 'give cocu time' but now want Rooney gone after only 3 months. We're in a bad patch but I think we can get through it and I believe we will stay up. From where we were, that would be a good job from Rooney. We will judge him and his true capabilities when he has better players, this squad is not good enough.

22 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If the players are so far out of position and not being 'brave' there's a reason for that and it's a coaching issue uttox....

Not good enough.

My point was that we got in great positions, we should have won the match comfortably but individual poor decisions and lack of football intelligence cost us.

Rooney seems capable of setting the team up right but the players can't quite carry it out.

Archived