Players that it's just not happening for

Donegal Ram

Wisdom / Not strong enough as a centre back and gets caught out too many times

Buchanan / Doesn't close down quick enough, seems bereft of confidence to be brave on the ball therefore, everything is negative/safe/backwards. Positional sense is zero. Everytime he takes a pass he is static due to his own doing 

Bird and Shinnie / Don't offer for the ball forcing the defenders to pump it long constantly. Limited passing ability between them and lack of pace. No forward motion from either 

Waghorn / Just no 

Players in / Edmundson,  forsyth, Banginime, watson or sibley and Lawrence.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replacements mentioned have either not been given the chance or have had a few bad games and we're dropped. 

Edmundson looks strong and aggressive and a danger from set pieces 

Forsyth although has made errors he is still solid enough in most areas and offers far more going forward 

Banginime looked tidy on the ball, could tackle and actually looked for a pass to then take forward.

Watson has shown promise when coming on in poor situations, looks forward.

Sibley decent when played in his favoured position.

Lawrence when fit has more to offer than joz or roberts. 

The current team do not offer anything going forward due to ability or coaching preference. Theses Changes would. 

Goals win games and breed confidence

A lot of this is down to belief. Both Cocu and Rooney told the players they are good enough. They have been told to get the ball forward but they continually decline and abdicate responsibility to the next man and as the next man is no longer Beilik then the move forward doesn’t happen or is delayed which is just as bad.

It’s instilling belief, take the risk. Cocu said it constantly. He was always saying get it forward quicker but they rarely did and we all called it Cocuball when I reality it was Derby players ball. And now they are at it again only this time we are not calling it Rooneyball. Well not yet anyway.

It does prove what a loss Bielik is. His link play between defenders and forwards was great. Joz has not been the same since his injury anyway.  More football on the front foot is needed and the hinted suggestion of watson starting may bring added spark.

Weird isn't it - whenever people mention captains there are plenty of folk on here saying they're irrelevant and uncessary - yet when the going gets tough that's exactly the time you need a strong on field general to marshall the troops and remind them what's needed. Other than big Col there's no-one else that seems to have that inner steel and self-belief - and when he was struggling to get involved yesterday, it seems that the most of them just crumbled. As soon as we start the sideways/backwards passing it's a worry.....

I think it's down to the importance we're putting on them to win us games. Most of them would be ok in a team with better players. Look at that list and tell me any of them are quality players - they are a support cast and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Good teams are full of ok Championship players, they just also have a better tier of players that are game changers and match winners on a consistent basis. 

Unfortunately for our lot, with the squad so bare, we haven't got that next level of player to rely on and it means they are being asked to step up. As we're seeing, most can't do it. There was nothing wrong with Knight and Shinnie 2 months ago when Bielik was in there but now look. We've got a cast of 3 all wanting to do the same thing, none of them comfortable stepping out with the ball or pivoting to allow us to pass through teams. 

It's not happening for them now but get Bielik and a couple more quality additions in and they'll show they are decent Champ players IMO. Hopefully they can just get us over the line first. 

149F10C5-8C16-4644-A024-D81E2240B625.thumb.jpeg.742955d0b3c6c7c0e15fa8438df3a805.jpeg

Edmundson v Wisdom is a close call.

But there’s only any point in playing Edmundson if a deal really is on the table.

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

149F10C5-8C16-4644-A024-D81E2240B625.thumb.jpeg.742955d0b3c6c7c0e15fa8438df3a805.jpeg

But there’s only any point in playing Edmundson if a deal really is on the table.

Hell of a responsibility on Knight to do all the defensive work in that formation - we'd have more threat going forward but I suspect we'd also ship a bucket load of goals......

I think Buchanan could do with taking out the team for a bit. He is a young player in his first season and is going through a predictable dip in form. Forsyth is an adequate replacement and would offer a bit of experience, height and a decent cross. 

I think we need to try and settle on a team and have a bit of consistency. Changing 1 isn’t a problem but we can’t keep changing 5 or 6 every week.

Even if we escape this year, think we could be in trouble again next season unless ownership issues are quickly resolved.

It is all a bit depressing really.

5 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

A lot of this is down to belief. Both Cocu and Rooney told the players they are good enough. They have been told to get the ball forward but they continually decline and abdicate responsibility to the next man and as the next man is no longer Beilik then the move forward doesn’t happen or is delayed which is just as bad.

It’s instilling belief, take the risk. Cocu said it constantly. He was always saying get it forward quicker but they rarely did and we all called it Cocuball when I reality it was Derby players ball. And now they are at it again only this time we are not calling it Rooneyball. Well not yet anyway.

I think you have aced it. 

What worries me is we are now playing the worst we have all season and with better options than we had early on.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Other than Fozzy in for Buchanan and Roos for Marshall if he is still unfit, would probably go with that starting Xi on Wednesday......

5 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

Interesting point and ties in with the lack of communication theme that’s been mentioned on here and by Rooney.

If we have a team with a passive personality make up then we will struggle when things don’t go as planned and have players abdicating responsibility to someone else!

Maybe the 5 loanees were Rooney’s way of trying to address as well as raising the quality/options?

It is noticeable that the first thought is always to move the ball backwards. We had a free kick just inside our half in the first half yesterday and I said to my son, right, a chance to get some big players forward, let’s face it, set pieces looked our best bet yesterday, but I think it might have been Byrne who passed it back to Clarke. Why don’t we play at a higher tempo, move the ball quicker and look to get forward or is that just being a tad silly?

6 hours ago, Donegal Ram said:

Wisdom / Not strong enough as a centre back and gets caught out too many times

Buchanan / Doesn't close down quick enough, seems bereft of confidence to be brave on the ball therefore, everything is negative/safe/backwards. Positional sense is zero. Everytime he takes a pass he is static due to his own doing 

Bird and Shinnie / Don't offer for the ball forcing the defenders to pump it long constantly. Limited passing ability between them and lack of pace. No forward motion from either 

Waghorn / Just no 

Players in / Edmundson,  forsyth, Banginime, watson or sibley and Lawrence.

• Think that's a bit harsh on Wisdom, I Think if best position is in a back 3.
  • Buchanan's biggest problem at the moment is his decision making, but what do you expect from an academy player?
  • I think Bird and Shinnie are actually quite different players. Shinnie is a ball winner, better out of possession, Bird has better passing than you say but his confidence seems to have disappeared. But both offering very little attacking wise.
  • I have to agree it's not happening for Waghorn, but as I've said before, the way the teams setup means it won't happen for any attacker. But Waghorns struggled more than most.

I'm beggining to agree with a few people on here suggesting 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 for the rest of the season. With Wisdom better in a 3, also allowing Byrne to be further forward as he's been our best attacking threat recently, it should make us more solid as well. Just try and grind out a few 1-0's to see us through the season.

2 minutes ago, DCFClks said:
  • Think that's a bit harsh on Wisdom, I Think if best position is in a back 3.
  • Buchanan's biggest problem at the moment is his decision making, but what do you expect from an academy player?
  • I think Bird and Shinnie are actually quite different players. Shinnie is a ball winner, better out of possession, Bird has better passing than you say but his confidence seems to have disappeared. But both offering very little attacking wise.
  • I have to agree it's not happening for Waghorn, but as I've said before, the way the teams setup means it won't happen for any attacker. But Waghorns struggled more than most.

I'm beggining to agree with a few people on here suggesting 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 for the rest of the season. With Wisdom better in a 3, also allowing Byrne to be further forward as he's been our best attacking threat recently, it should make us more solid as well. Just try and grind out a few 1-0's to see us through the season.

You would think by now that Wazza would know his best starting Xi and formation, surely?

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You would think by now that Wazza would know his best starting Xi and formation, surely?

What's annoying is he seemed to at one point, but after the January loans / Bielik injury, It's just gone out the window.

6 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

Cocu throughout his entire management career has used possession based style. He has always favoured a low risk approach at all his clubs, that's the reason we had so few players getting forward as he preferred to keep the ball. At least under Rooney we have had more players getting forward, but clearly something is not working at the moment. Cocu did not say take risks constantly & also did not say get it forward quicker.  

Archived