Players that it's just not happening for

Donegal Ram

35 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It is noticeable that the first thought is always to move the ball backwards. We had a free kick just inside our half in the first half yesterday and I said to my son, right, a chance to get some big players forward, let’s face it, set pieces looked our best bet yesterday, but I think it might have been Byrne who passed it back to Clarke. Why don’t we play at a higher tempo, move the ball quicker and look to get forward or is that just being a tad silly?

And while we're at it, what about some quick throws?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You would think by now that Wazza would know his best starting Xi and formation, surely?

24 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

What's annoying is he seemed to at one point, but after the January loans / Bielik injury, It's just gone out the window.

I see Rooney being too similar to Van Gaal at the moment. Constant changes in an attempt to stop the opposition, never really picking the same team, too much 'safe' play, big emphasis on set pieces. Rooney has said in the past that Van Gaal was the best manager he ever worked with. This worries me. 

9 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Cocu throughout his entire management career has used possession based style. He has always favoured a low risk approach at all his clubs, that's the reason we had so few players getting forward as he preferred to keep the ball. At least under Rooney we have had more players getting forward, but clearly something is not working at the moment. Cocu did not say take risks constantly & also did not say get it forward quicker.  

From his post match interviews I recall him saying that he wanted them to be brave and get it forward quicker. He said this many times especially when bemoaning a lacklustre performance. 

36 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I'm beggining to agree with a few people on here suggesting 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 for the rest of the season. With Wisdom better in a 3, also allowing Byrne to be further forward as he's been our best attacking threat recently, it should make us more solid as well. Just try and grind out a few 1-0's to see us through the season.

But you said before that you wanted to see us build for next season with a 4-3-3

19 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Cocu throughout his entire management career has used possession based style. He has always favoured a low risk approach at all his clubs, that's the reason we had so few players getting forward as he preferred to keep the ball. At least under Rooney we have had more players getting forward, but clearly something is not working at the moment. Cocu did not say take risks constantly & also did not say get it forward quicker.  

He did take risks though, playing such a high line. Every time our back four had possession it was a risk.

22 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I see Rooney being too similar to Van Gaal at the moment. Constant changes in an attempt to stop the opposition, never really picking the same team, too much 'safe' play, big emphasis on set pieces. Rooney has said in the past that Van Gaal was the best manager he ever worked with. This worries me. 

I remember Litmanen and Van Der Sar saying the same about Van Gaal so maybe he was excellent.

37 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Have you seen Van Gaal’s trophy list?

16 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I remember Litmanen and Van Der Sar saying the same about Van Gaal so maybe he was excellent.

4 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Have you seen Van Gaal’s trophy list?

He was very successful in the 90's, not won a lot since then which tells me that his ways are outdated as the game has moved on considerably since that time. The modern game is all about high energy and he has always been described as playing boring style football. Also his methods absolutely did not work in this country with Man Utd. 

On 07/03/2021 at 03:17, Donegal Ram said:

Wisdom / Not strong enough as a centre back and gets caught out too many times

Buchanan / Doesn't close down quick enough, seems bereft of confidence to be brave on the ball therefore, everything is negative/safe/backwards. Positional sense is zero. Everytime he takes a pass he is static due to his own doing 

Bird and Shinnie / Don't offer for the ball forcing the defenders to pump it long constantly. Limited passing ability between them and lack of pace. No forward motion from either 

Waghorn / Just no 

Players in / Edmundson,  forsyth, Banginime, watson or sibley and Lawrence.

Wisdom has been great this season filling in and his partnership with Clarke is good enough for this rubbish league.

buchanan needs a rest, other than the last couple of games I would say he was probably the biggest bright spark in the team, better than Bogle.

Shinnie looks knackered, decent player, thats it.

Bird was the best player on the pitch the last couple of games, we should be building the whole team around him.

Waghorn is a better all round player than CKR

and whatever we have to do to keep Lawrence out of the team then we should do it.

On 07/03/2021 at 11:02, Chris_Martin said:

He was very successful in the 90's, not won a lot since then which tells me that his ways are outdated as the game has moved on considerably since that time. The modern game is all about high energy and he has always been described as playing boring style football. Also his methods absolutely did not work in this country with Man Utd. 

I would say that winning the FA Cup worked out pretty well for him, I reckon I would take that from Wazzaball.

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

buchanan needs a rest, other than the last couple of games I would say he was probably the biggest bright spark in the team, better than Bogle.

and whatever we have to do to keep Lawrence out of the team then we should do it.

It doesn't take much to be the biggest bright spark in this team though. And i would say Bogle's first season in the team was way more impressive than Buchanan's so far. 

Why so desperate to keep Lawrence out? is it because we're clearly doing so well and creating so many chances without him?

20 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

It doesn't take much to be the biggest bright spark in this team though. And i would say Bogle's first season in the team was way more impressive than Buchanan's so far. 

Why so desperate to keep Lawrence out? is it because we're clearly doing so well and creating so many chances without him?

Because he is rubbish. 

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

Ability wise he is probably the best attacker at the club.

i would rather have Waghorn and CKR any day of the week, at least both of those try..

and as for ability wise he is the best attacker at the club, you are forgetting we have the greatest ever English attacker in History.....

He was just about the best attacker in the car crash when he smashed into Bennett...just. 

i would rather have Waghorn and CKR any day of the week, at least both of those try..

and as for ability wise he is the best attacker at the club, you are forgetting we have the greatest ever English attacker in History.....

He was just about the best attacker in the car crash when he smashed into Bennett...just. 

Lawrence is Welsh.

There comes a point where 'trying' is not enough though and you need some genuine quality. Lawrence is one of the only ones at the club who possess that. Also he hasn't even played under Rooney yet so how do you know he won't 'try'

hi all

Without Holmes (sold), Lawrence (crocked), or Bielik (also crocked) we are short on creativity and unpredictability, it's as simple as that.

Sibley has both of those qualities but has recently been marked out of the game by opposition defences who have got wise to him.

Knight can burst forward from midfield as we have seen but he needs the front line to assist, and against Coventry they failed.

Roberts is yet to show what he is capable of in a Rams shirt.

Jozwiak seems lost without Bielik.

Buchanan was excellent but really needs a break, put Fozzy in for a few games so that he can recover.

Byrne ditto, some great performances, a real find, well done whoever signed him, but now at risk of burning out, maybe go to a solid back 3 (Wiz/Ed/Clarke) for a few games and play 3/5/2 with Jozwiak & Fozzy as defensively minded wing backs.

Enter Watson, the next great Black & White Hope, can he give us a shot in the arm?  Let's hope so!

LR2 

Archived