The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

To be honest though, I still believe we should be able to. Most people infected now are in their late 20's early 30's, I think I read the average age of infection is 28. Cases going up shouldn't mean anything. We broke the link between cases and hospitalisations. Though I actually agree on the border policy, no reason for them to drop the ball on that yet again. 

Hopefully you are right. Guess they want some more solid data that the link between cases and hospital is definitely broken. The ratio of cases to hospital should certainly be much less than previously. I guess the concern is that if we end up with cases in the millions, that could still lead to a large number of hosptitalisations.

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

So we never return to normal “Just in case” ?  Sorry enough is enough now, if we don’t open up fully on the 21st with the current statistics we never will.
We’ve flattened the curve, protected the vulnerable. protected the NHS and so on and so forth. We have the vaccination program now if we can’t open up what’s the point in it. 

Your response would have been valid if I had said "we should remain locked down indefinitely".

I actually said that if some restrictions are extended, hopefully weddings will be exempt due to their relitavley small numbers vs all bars and clubs opening.

29 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Hopefully you are right. Guess they want some more solid data that the link between cases and hospital is definitely broken. The ratio of cases to hospital should certainly be much less than previously. I guess the concern is that if we end up with cases in the millions, that could still lead to a large number of hosptitalisations.

We aren't going to get to cases in the millions though. They're on vaccinating the over 25s now, the hospitalisations would be minimum at these kinds of ages. They have easily enough solid data to prove that cases and hospitalisation is a broken link. 

I just want football back @angieram.

Home and away, a few beers on the train, getting lost in strange places yet always somehow making kick off.

Being surrounded by strangers, who become companions for 90 minutes as you stand alongside them in a shared, unimportant cause, yet at that time you'd never be anywhere else.

I'm even looking forward to none too friendly coppers and stewards, and being soaked in beer in the concourse!

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Home and away, a few beers on the train, getting lost in strange places yet always somehow making kick off.

Being surrounded by strangers, who become companions for 90 minutes as you stand alongside them in a shared, unimportant cause, yet at that time you'd never be anywhere else.

I'm even looking forward to none too friendly coppers and stewards, and being soaked in beer in the concourse!

Ahhhh. Just to live again. It will be a struggle to get an away ticket when we are all back to normal, mind. 

Thanks for the answers and I understand the different perspectives. I hate masks too, especially as I wear glasses. And I am also due to go to a wedding in August that was already postponed from last year.

I do think we need to be very careful about international travel for a while yet, but hopefully the government will reward us for that sacrifice with a relatively 'normal' British summer.

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

I am looking forward to awaydays with equal anticipation and dread! ?

9 minutes ago, Rev said:

1393926F-5D66-4FFA-B751-2D15FF06E5D4.jpeg.09c0edb33e80903a52ea89d287822dd2.jpeg

I still think the problem here is the messaging from the February briefing that said all restrictions would be lifted on June 21st, just a month after the main bit of lockdown was due to be lifted in May (ie the current level we're at)

Why make such a bold and drastic claim based on data that you couldn't possibly know back in Feb?

If, back in Feb they'd said 5th July instead of 21st June, we wouldn't really have batted an eyelid, we wouldn't all now be moaning about the prospect of an extension of two weeks, and they could have looked the heroes if they'd brought it forward

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I am quite interested to know what  people are hoping to do after 21st June that they can't do now?

Apart from holidays abroad (which I don't think will change much in the near future regardless of what we do domestically) I am struggling to think of what I am missing out on.

I am quite enjoying relaxed hospitality without someone else's oversized family group or drunken hen or stag party getting in my personal space. Thank goodness for tables spaced a little further apart!

Do we really need to be crammed in to everywhere like sardines to have a good time? 

I suspect the lifting of restrictions might be delayed a bit but am still expecting a return to some football matches with a reduced capacity by the start of next season. That'll do me for now.

Got to say your choices of how to feel relaxed and enjoy stuff is pretty much the same as mine , others though choose loud crowded rowdy places, that’s their choice ,

so in reply to your question,,,, be free to choose 

Just had a trip to the hospital. I wore a mask for around 6 out of 7 hours.

No big deal. After a while, I was no longer really aware that I was wearing it. If it really upsets you, then you really are a bit pathetic.

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I still think the problem here is the messaging from the February briefing that said all restrictions would be lifted on June 21st, just a month after the main bit of lockdown was due to be lifted in May (ie the current level we're at)

Why make such a bold and drastic claim based on data that you couldn't possibly know back in Feb?

If, back in Feb they'd said 5th July instead of 21st June, we wouldn't really have batted an eyelid, we wouldn't all now be moaning about the prospect of an extension of two weeks, and they could have looked the heroes if they'd brought it forward

But they didn't say that, did they? 

I thought they said "no earlier than 21st June". I can't ever recall them saying that they were definitely being lifted then.

Although I agree, they ought to know better than to think both the media and some people wouldn't use that as a stick to beat them with! 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I am quite interested to know what  people are hoping to do after 21st June that they can't do now?

Apart from holidays abroad (which I don't think will change much in the near future regardless of what we do domestically) I am struggling to think of what I am missing out on.

I am quite enjoying relaxed hospitality without someone else's oversized family group or drunken hen or stag party getting in my personal space. Thank goodness for tables spaced a little further apart!

Do we really need to be crammed in to everywhere like sardines to have a good time? 

I suspect the lifting of restrictions might be delayed a bit but am still expecting a return to some football matches with a reduced capacity by the start of next season. That'll do me for now.

rave GIF

And what @Rev said.

35 minutes ago, angieram said:

I do think we need to be very careful about international travel for a while yet, but hopefully the government will reward us for that sacrifice with a relatively 'normal' British summer.

Why? If the travel is to countries with 'rates' as good or better than ours? This idea that holidays abroad lead to an increase in VoC is based on what exactly? They changed Portugal to amber based on virus mutations, ffs they all do that all the time! 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

We aren't going to get to cases in the millions though. They're on vaccinating the over 25s now, the hospitalisations would be minimum at these kinds of ages. They have easily enough solid data to prove that cases and hospitalisation is a broken link. 

Yeah hopefully it will be fine. I'm only thinking they'll delay by a small amount to make sure all adults are vaccinated at least once. If the expert advice is another 2-3 weeks to get that all done, don't think it will make much difference.

You might be right to say that link between cases and hospitalisations is proved to be fully broken. I wasn't sure if there had been enough cases with enough time to see that.

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why? If the travel is to countries with 'rates' as good or better than ours? This idea that holidays abroad lead to an increase in VoC is based on what exactly? They changed Portugal to amber based on virus mutations, ffs they all do that all the time! 

It's to help defend against the India screw up. People who think they are been over the top on Portugal are less likely to think about India.

47 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought they said "no earlier than 21st June". I can't ever recall them saying that they were definitely being lifted then.

Although I agree, they ought to know better than to think both the media and some people wouldn't use that as a stick to beat them with! 

I don’t think it’s a stick to beat them with, they always said it was data not dates they followed so the stick to beat them with is why aren’t we restriction free now not wait for June 21st.

Edited by TexasRam

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Yes - appreciate the nuance was "no earlier than" but in the dumbed-down media era, you know people just saw the date and words "all restrictions lifted" and that's why so many are kicking off at the prospect of it being put back 2 weeks

55 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I don’t think it’s a stick to beat them with, they always said it was data not dates

Exactly - that statement was ridiculous "it's about data not dates" and then proceeded to real off a series of dates

The whole thing should have been based on data. Certain conditions met = restrictions gradually lifted

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Just had a trip to the hospital. I wore a mask for around 6 out of 7 hours.

No big deal. After a while, I was no longer really aware that I was wearing it. If it really upsets you, then you really are a bit pathetic.

My god your views and opinions really are extremely unpleasant and blinkered and self centred , do you see people with mental and or emotional problems as pathetic too ? My wife is on the verge of panic attacks after 5 mins wearing a mask ,I don’t understand it fully as that’s not the case FOR ME but I know it’s very real for her , I do do know she is not pathetic though 

Edited by Archied