The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

4 hours ago, maxjam said:

Why though?

70% of people hospitalized with covid last year were aged 70+, this year 96% of the vulnerable age groups have already had their booster.

Furthermore, according to Sajid Javid suggested that Soth Africa aren't suffering from omnicron due to natural immunity acquired from catching Delta.

Now either the vaccines work, or they don't.  Either natural immunity works, or it doesn't.  Continuing to lockdown and hide from covid everytime there is a new mutation that 'looks a bit scary' as is the case of omnicron means this is now the new normal - being made to feel scared s41tless every winter and threatened with having our freedoms taken away.  Thats no way to live, I've done my bit and I've had enough.

Vaccines work up to a point. Natural immunity works up to a point. Lockdowns may work up to a point, but that point has passed.

A lockdown now after two years of this will now do more harm than good.

26 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Well quite apart from the fact that people haven’t seen loved ones for months and Christmas is normally the opportunity to do so, there is the issue with omicron that nobody knows how lethal it is.

if it is very infectious but not very deadly then letting it spread is exactly what hers immunity was supposed to be about. 

A lot of supposition in there. We just don't know what effect omicron will have on our population, which is different to the likes of South Africa. While it's still a bit of an unknown I can see the sense in taking a cautious approach. 

But on the other hand vaccines seem fairly ineffective, so we don't have much scope to do much anyway. Lock down to allow us to roll out the vaccine made sense. But what are we aiming to do with the time bought by increasing restrictions now? 

Any way, waiting to lock down seems to be the worst of all worlds. 

10 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Is there anybody in this thread who is concerned about missing Christmas because it's actually a sacred time for them?

I'm not criticising anybody or saying you shouldn't be looking forward to Christmas if you're not religious. Just curious.

Nope!, I have a Son and Daughter who I see through the year, I don't want to sound like a "Bah Humbug" but it's just another day for me, Dropped off the Grand kids presents a couple of weeks ago, Both Son and Daughter enjoy the day, They always ask if i'd like to go round for dinner/tea and the answer is...No thanks ?

PS...i'm Agnostic

Edited by Unlucky Alf

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

A lot of supposition in there. We just don't know what effect omicron will have on our population, which is different to the likes of South Africa. While it's still a bit of an unknown I can see the sense in taking a cautious approach. 

But on the other hand vaccines seem fairly ineffective, so we don't have much scope to do much anyway. Lock down to allow us to roll out the vaccine made sense. But what are we aiming to do with the time bought by increasing restrictions now? 

Well, at this point we are starting to get an idea of the effect on our population surely? From London alone we must have a reasonable data set. 

Additionally, it's a supposition to comment on the impact of the virus on our population, but it isn't one for you to say the vaccines seem fairly ineffective? 

43 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Is there anybody in this thread who is concerned about missing Christmas because it's actually a sacred time for them?

I'm not criticising anybody or saying you shouldn't be looking forward to Christmas if you're not religious. Just curious.

Not religious but lots are , also we are a quite hard working population in the U.K. and Christmas is a time people really look forward to relaxing and spending time with the people they love , that’s not to say I don’t think lock up at any time is very bad for people but Christmas is a big thing for many reasons

19 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

No further restrictions before Christmas in England. For me Christmas finished on 4 January. 

We really can’t be locking people down again especially after Christmas when people have been mixing ,to lock people indoors right after is as daft as sending kids to school for a day then locking them down at home or sending students back to uni then locking them down ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Well, at this point we are starting to get an idea of the effect on our population surely? From London alone we must have a reasonable data set. 

Not yet, but soon. 

First UK case 3.5 weeks ago.

Typical path of the disease is about 2 weeks from infection to hospitalisation, and a further week to death (or discharge).

So right now only a handful (probably less than 30 people) have done the 3 week post infection journey in the UK.

It will probably be about another 1 to 2  weeks before we have a decent data set.

Edited by therealhantsram

Not feeling well the last few days, but currently off work for a 4 day stretch - just done 2 lateral flows. Both positive. Got a PCR booked in for tomorrow morning. 

My Birthday just after Xmas too. Good times. Double vaccinated, booster last Wednesday but probabaly hasn't had time to kick in. I did Google if that could bring up a false positive, but apparently the laterals work off protein spikes and not antibodies. 

The Mrs is testing negative too, just to rub it in. 

Covid round 2.

Edited by Norman

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

The virus has killed what 60,000 people this year in the UK . A lot but still only 10% of the total number who die each year. That's 600,000 people for whom this Christmas will be the last ones their families will  share with them. If the Government lets them.  

18 minutes ago, Norman said:

Not feeling well the last few days, but currently off work for a 4 day stretch - just done 2 lateral flows. Both positive. Got a PCR booked in for tomorrow morning. 

My Birthday just after Xmas too. Good times. Double vaccinated, booster last Wednesday but probabaly hasn't had time to kick in. I did Google if that could bring up a false positive, but apparently the laterals work off protein spikes and not antibodies. 

Covid round 2.

Rough luck, hope you are feeling better soon.

28 minutes ago, Norman said:

Covid round 2.

Keep well mate

36 minutes ago, Norman said:

Covid round 2.

At least least you’ll have Christmas off 

23 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

At least least you’ll have Christmas off 

Had from the 24th from 20.30 off, and wasn't back in until 30th at 20.30 anyway. But yeah, will get 2 or 3 shifts paid up. 

Who's going to do my last minute Xmas shopping now though? 

Theoretically this form of corona should spread more quickly but also burn out more quickly than previous waves. This is both due to the vaccination and booster effort as well as it's quick spread. I'm much closer to being on the side of saying screw going into lockdown again, let's try to ride this out and loosen up the rules on self isolation to ensure things can keep functioning. The available evidence tells us hospitalisations and deaths are at a minimum with this variant and at this point I'm kind of sick of it. I want to be able to actually see my girlfriend who usually lives 300 miles away, I want to be able to see my friends who I've often been unable to make time for and actually do some enjoyable things after a tiring and stressful year. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

Theoretically this form of corona should spread more quickly but also burn out more quickly than previous waves. This is both due to the vaccination and booster effort as well as it's quick spread. I'm much closer to being on the side of saying screw going into lockdown again, let's try to ride this out and loosen up the rules on self isolation to ensure things can keep functioning. The available evidence tells us hospitalisations and deaths are at a minimum with this variant and at this point I'm kind of sick of it. I want to be able to actually see my girlfriend who usually lives 300 miles away, I want to be able to see my friends who I've often been unable to make time for and actually do some enjoyable things after a tiring and stressful year. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Norman said:

Covid round 2.

Sorry to hear that - get well soon.