Is Manchester City's domination of football turning fans of football?

ziggyram59

I just get so bored of Manchester City dominating every match they play, I can see them winning The Premiership, FA Cup, League Cup and The Champions League. Every time they play you just know they will win. And it is turning me of football a game I've loved since 1970. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blame the other teams for accepting their dominance, liverpool and Man Utd being examples where it seems there managers are judged as being "greats" by finishing in the top 4 ?

As for turning off football, nah, love watching City and their brand of football, every so often teams "find" then out and you get a different winner. Pep being the genius he is just seems to come up with a different way for years of domination though.

4 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Blame the other teams for accepting their dominance, liverpool and Man Utd being examples where it seems there managers are judged as being "greats" by finishing in the top 4 ?

As for turning off football, nah, love watching City and their brand of football, every so often teams "find" then out and you get a different winner. Pep being the genius he is just seems to come up with a different way for years of domination though.

I personally blame other teams for not having a go more, at Cit-eh, and the rest of the top 6.  Admittedly nobody wants to get trounced 5-0 every week, but as a fan, I'd rather see my team go down fighting.  It's odd you mention Liverpool but they appear to be the team this season that smaller teams feel they can be got at due to their injuries in defence.  It was Cit-eh's defence last season that let them down.  So perhaps opposition managers should work harder at exploiting weaknesses, not matter how small they are.  If they tried other stuff other than sticking 10 men behind the ball, and looking for a lucky ball over the top, you might actually get some surprise results.  As disgusted with myself i am for saying it, the have to give Leeds credit for playing the same against everybody and having a go...

Doesn’t bother me that much to be honest. They’ve built an absolutely fantastic team full of world class players across the squad, and have one of the best managers of his generation in charge. Clearly they’re going to dominate, but they deserve everything they win. Don’t care about the money spent, they’ve spent it wisely.

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

I just get so bored of Manchester City dominating every match they play, I can see them winning The Premiership, FA Cup, League Cup and The Champions League. Every time they play you just know they will win. And it is turning me of football a game I've loved since 1970. 

Were you as bothered when it was the other Manchester side dominating and winning everything?

Between 1891 and 1900 two clubs (Aston Villa and Sunderland) won all but one title

Between 1921 and 1926 two clubs (Liverpool and Huddersfield) won all the titles

Between 1930 and 1948 (war years included) Arsenal won more than half the titles

Between 1972 and 1990 Liverpool won eleven out of eighteen titles

Between 1992 and 2013 Manchester United won 13 out of 21 titles

Man City have currently won four out of the last nine years, no doubles and nothing in Europe - it's hardly dominance yet, just ask someone in Spain, Scotland or France for their view on that.

Big clubs come, big clubs go. At some point the Sheikh will have had enough, another oligarch will come along and buy Newcastle or Tottenham or Crawley and they will reign for a few years while Man City go back to fielding some version of Andy Lake, Ian Brightwell and Shaun Goater as a front three combination in a Div 3 play off against Gillingham. Twas ever thus, and shall always be.

In short, no. A thread like this might have been made about Liverpool 12-15 months ago.

City are having success, of course. The reason people overreact like this is because when they have good seasons, they just seem to be freakishly consistent rather than sparkling.

I don’t think their ‘dominance’ is killing people’s interest in football because I don’t think they are truly dominant. Five league titles in 10 seasons if they win it this year, one Champions League semi-final so far, two FA Cups since 2010, and five League Cups including three in consecutive seasons so far too.

Mind you, fans of top six clubs completely discredit the League Cup anyway. It’s the trophy no-one wants to win apparently, so I am not sure why I have included it.

So as you can see, they are not monopolising the sport. They are just having a period of success, which has happened to United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and even us to a far lesser extent if you go back far enough.

There is plenty of incentive there for other clubs. It’s down to the other clubs - Liverpool, Chelsea, United and so on - to step up and do better. City have shown plenty of vulnerability over the years and have proven that money can buy you a degree of success but not everything.

They are very good, but threads like this should be reserved for Liverpool pre-1992 and Ferguson’s United post-1992. That is dominance and that is why they are the two most disliked clubs in the country. Who cares about City really?

To be honest, Wenger’s Arsenal from 1998-2006 was far less successful but I’d tune in to watch them far more than I ever have the petrodollar juggernaut.

When a club spends billions, what do you expect.

I could win the quadruple with Man City, Pep’s playing Football Manager on cheat mode. 

Team that dominates but I just don’t find entertaining to watch at all, similar to Barcelona a few years back, funny enough Pep was there at the time. Massive coincidence I’m sure.

1 minute ago, David said:

When a club spends billions, what do you expect.

I could win the quadruple with Man City, Pep’s playing Football Manager on cheat mode. 

Team that dominates but I just don’t find entertaining to watch at all, similar to Barcelona a few years back, funny enough Pep was there at the time. Massive coincidence I’m sure.

No coincidence, just seems you don't like winning football, each to their own ?

1 minute ago, BIllyD said:

No coincidence, just seems you don't like winning football, each to their own ?

As a Derby fan, I just want to see us win.

As a neutral, I want to be entertained. Man City whilst technically brilliant, are utterly boring to watch.

2 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Seeing as they're failed to win 7 games so far in the Premier League this season then is a very conflicting statement to make 

Just now, David said:

As a Derby fan, I just want to see us win.

As a neutral, I want to be entertained. Man City whilst technically brilliant, are utterly boring to watch.

If you compare it to football games on a computer I'm sure it is. It's like these people who like and believe UFC is real, they think it has to be done a certain way and shared round, I think that's what frustrates people about Pep, he doesn't conform to the norm.

Archived