Is Manchester City's domination of football turning fans of football?

ziggyram59

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say it's their dominance is influencing me because it's been over two years since I last time watched PL or Champions League game.

Nowadays I only follow Derby, bit of Union Berlin, certain players and of course national team and that's more than enough.

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

You make very good points I will admit my interest in the Premier League as declined over the seasons as it's the top 4 clubs who dominate mostly. It as been refreshing to see Leicester do well under Rodgers as very underrated manager in my opinion. 

My interest in the Premier league declined when Derby got relegated. It's just a sideshow for me. 

I've fell out of love with football but it's due to play acting, diving, pundits and general analysis, that you can be punished for bringing the game into disrepute when that game is full of such pathetic behaviour that's accepted. 

I can't be doing with the stupid logic that you can be booked for taking a shirt off, that you can't "raise your hands". I hate "was there definite contact" or "excessive force"

I can't watch men in their 20's and 30's look like they're going to fight and then run to a referee to complain. 

I hate VAR and how referees milk the 5 minutes of fame on it. 

I hate football and it's political statements the bs idea that it has a good image to upheld. 

And then there's your fans and social media that turn into such pathetic humans. They call every player a Bamford and cry when they get some back. They want players gone but demand loyalty. They spend fortunes and then cry about money in the game. They are a reflection of the giant whinging babies that play the poo game. 

I keep an eye on Derby but I've not watched a match in a while. I don't watch highlights or anything. I used to be really active on here but I just don't like football anymore. The actual game I like and I could watch that on the park. But professional football I find repulsive with all the ironic, pampered, fake, self indulgent ******** you have to digest with it. 

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

My interest in the Premier league declined when Derby got relegated. It's just a sideshow for me. 

Same here. And I can't remember the last Man City game I watched. No interest in teams that just win every game. 

Game by game, the standard of referees is distancing me from the sport itself.

Justice is one of my strong personal values and currently its not even close to happen on the football pitch. Why would I watch something that just gets me angry?

On 19/02/2021 at 08:11, Alpha said:

I've fell out of love with football but it's due to play acting, diving, pundits and general analysis, that you can be punished for bringing the game into disrepute when that game is full of such pathetic behaviour that's accepted. 

I can't be doing with the stupid logic that you can be booked for taking a shirt off, that you can't "raise your hands". I hate "was there definite contact" or "excessive force"

I can't watch men in their 20's and 30's look like they're going to fight and then run to a referee to complain. 

I hate football and it's political statements the bs idea that it has a good image to upheld. 

And then there's your fans and social media that turn into such pathetic humans. They call every player a Bamford and cry when they get some back. They want players gone but demand loyalty. They spend fortunes and then cry about money in the game. They are a reflection of the giant whinging babies that play the poo game. 

I keep an eye on Derby but I've not watched a match in a while. I don't watch highlights or anything. I used to be really active on here but I just don't like football anymore. The actual game I like and I could watch that on the park. But professional football I find repulsive with all the ironic, pampered, fake, self indulgent ******** you have to digest with it. 

Stick around in the Jim Smith Room mate. This forum is all the better for you posting regularly.

I thought of this post tonight, when reading an article imploring Mbappe to use a 'Full Brand Activation Strategy' to increase his social media profile and future earnings.

It's not our game anymore, just another area for businesses to sell us crap we don't need.

On 18/02/2021 at 14:11, BaaLocks said:

Between 1891 and 1900 two clubs (Aston Villa and Sunderland) won all but one title

Between 1921 and 1926 two clubs (Liverpool and Huddersfield) won all the titles

Between 1930 and 1948 (war years included) Arsenal won more than half the titles

Between 1972 and 1975 one club Derby County won half the titles 

Between 1972 and 1990 Liverpool won eleven out of eighteen titles

Between 1992 and 2013 Manchester United won 13 out of 21 titles

Man City have currently won four out of the last nine years, no doubles and nothing in Europe - it's hardly dominance yet, just ask someone in Spain, Scotland or France for their view on that.

Big clubs come, big clubs go. At some point the Sheikh will have had enough, another oligarch will come along and buy Newcastle or Tottenham or Crawley and they will reign for a few years while Man City go back to fielding some version of Andy Lake, Ian Brightwell and Shaun Goater as a front three combination in a Div 3 play off against Gillingham. Twas ever thus, and shall always be.

ftfy 

You must have read my mind. Barely watched a full game for a long while for much of the above reasons.

I do wonder about a new sport.

22 hours ago, BondJovi said:

You must have read my mind. Barely watched a full game for a long while for much of the above reasons.

I do wonder about a new sport.

It's too much isn't it? It's lost any edge or grit. It seems like a platform for self promotion/self indulgence. 

It used to feel raw. Now I feel like the concourses should look like airport shopping. Rooney endorsed perfumes and Ronaldo hair gel. 

Probably sound like a knob for saying I liked football when it was for the lads. I'm not trying to say you have to swagger down the street with a can of lager to enjoy the game. But when it had that kind of image I thought it matched the tougher less scripted match on the pitch. 

These days it feels more like an audience than a crowd (well not right now). I used to think football attracted people's tribal instincts. It let out some bravado and anger. People felt togetherness and fierce passion for something that can't be explained. 

Now the whole thing has become so fronted and fake that fans turn up with the same attitude they'd go to see a play or a movie. "Entertain me, monkeys!!"

And boy, the game delivers. Full pathetic play acting from managers, pundits, refs and players. 

On 20/02/2021 at 10:11, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Stick around in the Jim Smith Room mate. This forum is all the better for you posting regularly.

Will do mate! That's a nice thing to hear, brother! ??

I do still read a lot of none football threads. I like the people here too much to stay away! 

On 20/02/2021 at 20:12, Rev said:

I thought of this post tonight, when reading an article imploring Mbappe to use a 'Full Brand Activation Strategy' to increase his social media profile and future earnings.

It's not our game anymore, just another area for businesses to sell us crap we don't need.

Yes!! 

It's like the game is a giant MySpace or something like that. Advertise your poo here. 

Football never seems to stop pretending. It's all so plastic. Nobody takes responsibility as everything is passed to the ref, the manager, the teammate, the organisations, the fixture list, the pitch... everyone lives in a bubble and look at their behaviour. 

Remember when we said at the Olympics that the way these athletes have gone about their sports should make footballers look at themselves. Imagine now. 

On one hand you have Sir Chris Hoy or Rebecca Addlington and on the other you have this whinging little Bamford rolling around "injured" while super tanned The Only Way Is Essex cast discuss whether he a right to go down. Blurgh!?

People saying Guardiola is like playing football manager on cheat mode or that they could win the title with the players he has are being silly. Guardiola is a fantastic manager and yes like all top clubs in England he's spent a lot of money to build a squad that can play his style of football. This doesn't diminish from his achievements in the slightest and he probably is a footballing genius or as close as you're going to get. Highlighting articles from Neville, Collymore and yaya toure don't come close to undermining this premise. 

I personally don't enjoy watching Guardiola's teams- fundamentally his brand is essentially strangling the opposition until you eventually overwhelm them. I don't think that's particularly fun to watch and prefer alternative styles. One of the best games I've ever watched was the first leg of Inter Milan vs Barcelona when Mourinho outmanoeuvred pep's Barcelona in what was a tactical masterclass. Guardiola however is not killing football because his teams are beatable and they aren't as dominant as some people seem to imagine. 

5 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

People saying Guardiola is like playing football manager on cheat mode or that they could win the title with the players he has are being silly. Guardiola is a fantastic manager and yes like all top clubs in England he's spent a lot of money to build a squad that can play his style of football. This doesn't diminish from his achievements in the slightest and he probably is a footballing genius or as close as you're going to get. Highlighting articles from Neville, Collymore and yaya toure don't come close to undermining this premise. 

I personally don't enjoy watching Guardiola's teams- fundamentally his brand is essentially strangling the opposition until you eventually overwhelm them. I don't think that's particularly fun to watch and prefer alternative styles. One of the best games I've ever watched was the first leg of Inter Milan vs Barcelona when Mourinho outmanoeuvred pep's Barcelona in what was a tactical masterclass. Guardiola however is not killing football because his teams are beatable and they aren't as dominant as some people seem to imagine. 

That's what's so intriguing, teams trying to find a way to beat Pep. I enjoy watching any football, be it Burnley or Man City, watching the battles that go on all over the pitch with different styles in order to win the game.

Pep came over here with a brand of football and even he has had to adapt, other teams adjusted to his ball playing goalkeeper and pressed from the front for example, he has changed to combat this. Never understand when someone says football is boring, I can watch a grassroots game on a Sunday morning and find it interesting, any football for me. 

It will become competitive again, the likes of Man Utd and liverpool won't continue to support the managers they have whilst accepting CL qualification as a good finish.

Still waiting for some local to say they are a Man City fan. One blessing it's not Liverpool. Chelsea, Man U, Spurs or Arsenal dominating now. Should shut a lot up! On that note, just had a look at the table...West Ham 4th...where did they come from? Nice to see.

25 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Still waiting for some local to say they are a Man City fan. One blessing it's not Liverpool. Chelsea, Man U, Spurs or Arsenal dominating now. Should shut a lot up! On that note, just had a look at the table...West Ham 4th...where did they come from? Nice to see.

ha ha, everyone from the victims down is now closer to relegation than they are to City. Best league in the world.........

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

ha ha, everyone from the victims down is now closer to relegation than they are to City. Best league in the world.........

Liverpool 5 points behind West Ham..that's 5 points behind a team managed by David Moyes. Klopp the genius ???

Archived