Is Manchester City's domination of football turning fans of football?

ziggyram59

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BIllyD said:

I found it now, forgot to look under desperation section ?

All opinions are valid, I happen to share that one.

I mean feel free to continue to watch Man City, be entertained and praise Guardiola as a genius, I really won’t lose any sleep over it.

I know many share your opinion, as they do mine. What do they say, opinions are like bumholes, we all have one. ?

3 minutes ago, David said:

All opinions are valid, I happen to share that one.

I mean feel free to continue to watch Man City, be entertained and praise Guardiola as a genius, I really won’t lose any sleep over it.

I know many share your opinion, as they do mine. What do they say, opinions are like bumholes, we all have one. ?

Fair enough, although just for clarity - I was being sarcastic, I couldn't find the article because it appears to have been doctored ?

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Enjoy Foden’s rise. He will be one of the first names on Southgate’s list. Stones too looks like being an England starter again.

International football doesn’t float my boat like it used to but we have the makings of a top team.

Not while there's a breath in sterling, kane and rashfords body..... 

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Foden will be in midfield.

I think Grealish should be ahead of Rashford. The other two are nailed on.

Pope

James.  Stones.  Dier.   Shaw.

Foden. Rice. Saka.

Sterling.  Kane.  Grealish.

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Foden will be in midfield.

I think Grealish should be ahead of Rashford. The other two are nailed on.

Pope

James.  Stones.  Dier.   Shaw.

Foden. Rice. Saka.

Sterling.  Kane.  Grealish.

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Not while there's a breath in Jordan Henderson s body then..... ?

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Haha. I don’t think there is lately! ?

You guys forgotten Jesse Lingard??!

14 hours ago, ossieram said:

Were you as bothered when it was the other Manchester side dominating and winning everything?

I think when Man United were winning Premier League/Champions League/FA Cup etc things were a lot closer and they had teams like Newcastle/Arsenal/Chelsea who took them down to the last few games of the season, so no I wasn't as bothered, the way things are going City will be Premier league champions by the end of March at this rate. 

14 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Between 1891 and 1900 two clubs (Aston Villa and Sunderland) won all but one title

Between 1921 and 1926 two clubs (Liverpool and Huddersfield) won all the titles

Between 1930 and 1948 (war years included) Arsenal won more than half the titles

Between 1972 and 1990 Liverpool won eleven out of eighteen titles

Between 1992 and 2013 Manchester United won 13 out of 21 titles

Man City have currently won four out of the last nine years, no doubles and nothing in Europe - it's hardly dominance yet, just ask someone in Spain, Scotland or France for their view on that.

Big clubs come, big clubs go. At some point the Sheikh will have had enough, another oligarch will come along and buy Newcastle or Tottenham or Crawley and they will reign for a few years while Man City go back to fielding some version of Andy Lake, Ian Brightwell and Shaun Goater as a front three combination in a Div 3 play off against Gillingham. Twas ever thus, and shall always be.

Let's hope your right. 

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

In short, no. A thread like this might have been made about Liverpool 12-15 months ago.

City are having success, of course. The reason people overreact like this is because when they have good seasons, they just seem to be freakishly consistent rather than sparkling.

I don’t think their ‘dominance’ is killing people’s interest in football because I don’t think they are truly dominant. Five league titles in 10 seasons if they win it this year, one Champions League semi-final so far, two FA Cups since 2010, and five League Cups including three in consecutive seasons so far too.

Mind you, fans of top six clubs completely discredit the League Cup anyway. It’s the trophy no-one wants to win apparently, so I am not sure why I have included it.

So as you can see, they are not monopolising the sport. They are just having a period of success, which has happened to United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and even us to a far lesser extent if you go back far enough.

There is plenty of incentive there for other clubs. It’s down to the other clubs - Liverpool, Chelsea, United and so on - to step up and do better. City have shown plenty of vulnerability over the years and have proven that money can buy you a degree of success but not everything.

They are very good, but threads like this should be reserved for Liverpool pre-1992 and Ferguson’s United post-1992. That is dominance and that is why they are the two most disliked clubs in the country. Who cares about City really?

To be honest, Wenger’s Arsenal from 1998-2006 was far less successful but I’d tune in to watch them far more than I ever have the petrodollar juggernaut.

You make very good points I will admit my interest in the Premier League as declined over the seasons as it's the top 4 clubs who dominate mostly. It as been refreshing to see Leicester do well under Rodgers as very underrated manager in my opinion. 

Archived