Is Manchester City's domination of football turning fans of football?

ziggyram59

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/02/2021 at 21:23, Alpha said:

Yes!! 

It's like the game is a giant MySpace or something like that. Advertise your poo here. 

Football never seems to stop pretending. It's all so plastic. Nobody takes responsibility as everything is passed to the ref, the manager, the teammate, the organisations, the fixture list, the pitch... everyone lives in a bubble and look at their behaviour. 

Remember when we said at the Olympics that the way these athletes have gone about their sports should make footballers look at themselves. Imagine now. 

On one hand you have Sir Chris Hoy or Rebecca Addlington and on the other you have this whinging little Bamford rolling around "injured" while super tanned The Only Way Is Essex cast discuss whether he a right to go down. Blurgh!?

Excellent posts @Alpha though I would suggest you do the lower leagues a disservice where I think there are many many genuine hard working players. I totally relate to your views re Premier. 

23 hours ago, BIllyD said:

That's what's so intriguing, teams trying to find a way to beat Pep. I enjoy watching any football, be it Burnley or Man City, watching the battles that go on all over the pitch with different styles in order to win the game.

Pep came over here with a brand of football and even he has had to adapt, other teams adjusted to his ball playing goalkeeper and pressed from the front for example, he has changed to combat this. Never understand when someone says football is boring, I can watch a grassroots game on a Sunday morning and find it interesting, any football for me. 

It will become competitive again, the likes of Man Utd and liverpool won't continue to support the managers they have whilst accepting CL qualification as a good finish.

I guess I might find it more interesting if I watched more full games of football but in general I just stick MOTD on in the evening as i mostly do work on Saturdays. I think Guardiolaball is extremely effective when he gets the players he needs in and trying to counter it must be an actual nightmare- people talk about Bielsaball but Guardiola's philosophy is next level.  For me though, it doesn't get my heart racing watching them play. 

On 18/02/2021 at 13:03, ziggyram59 said:

I just get so bored of Manchester City dominating every match they play, I can see them winning The Premiership, FA Cup, League Cup and The Champions League. Every time they play you just know they will win. And it is turning me of football a game I've loved since 1970. 

You have 3 teams who have been the best team in the country at pinnacle moments in the evolution of football: Liverpool, Man Utd and to a lesser extent Arsenal. 

Liverpool, you will notice have a huge Irish following due to their dominance when football was beginning to be shown regularly over there on television. Man Utd were the dominant force when the Premier League really took off and became a global super team during the late 90s early 00s. Arsenal, London's most successful club historically, has a huge African following due to their successful years under Wenger. 

Chelsea and Man City had to buy their place a the table initially, but now are there on merit. Tottenham have done excellently to organically grow their profile and their income. 

This is from 2018, but the disparity is no different now. 

Arsenal turnover £403m 
Chelsea turnover £448m
Liverpool turnover £455m 
Man City turnover £500m
Man United turnover £590m
Tottenham turnover £381m 

Also, all these teams are now making a profit. 

Everyone else in the Premier League turnover is between £100-150m typically. It's why you have the big six: sometimes you may get a a team upset the applecart, like Leicester who have a turnover of roughly £150m, but really you have six teams who are considerably ahead of everyone else in terms of resources. The very best players will end up going there to maximise their earning potential and really without outside investment then the Premier League consists of: a very small group who are genuinely fighting for the title, a slightly larger group vying for a top 4 finish. The next is the race of Europe. The other is all about survival. 

How good would it be to see 20 teams in the Premier League on an even keel? A wage and spending cap meaning that you had 20 teams on financial similar ground, at least to what they can put out on the pitch, so it would make it a lot more competitive. It won't happen, but perhaps we will see more evolution in the future where it gives other teams a chance. The Premier League isn't that appealing to me - the best I can ever hope for as a Derby fan is a promotion into the Premier League and not to be relegated almost immediately after. I will die know that is the very ceiling of football I will ever see my own club play, it's quite sad in a way. 

On 18/02/2021 at 13:03, ziggyram59 said:

I just get so bored of Manchester City dominating every match they play, I can see them winning The Premiership, FA Cup, League Cup and The Champions League. Every time they play you just know they will win. And it is turning me of football a game I've loved since 1970. 

Proof that money can buy success.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

You have 3 teams who have been the best team in the country at pinnacle moments in the evolution of football: Liverpool, Man Utd and to a lesser extent Arsenal. 

Liverpool, you will notice have a huge Irish following due to their dominance when football was beginning to be shown regularly over there on television. Man Utd were the dominant force when the Premier League really took off and became a global super team during the late 90s early 00s. Arsenal, London's most successful club historically, has a huge African following due to their successful years under Wenger. 

Chelsea and Man City had to buy their place a the table initially, but now are there on merit. Tottenham have done excellently to organically grow their profile and their income. 

This is from 2018, but the disparity is no different now. 

Arsenal turnover £403m 
Chelsea turnover £448m
Liverpool turnover £455m 
Man City turnover £500m
Man United turnover £590m
Tottenham turnover £381m 

Also, all these teams are now making a profit. 

Everyone else in the Premier League turnover is between £100-150m typically. It's why you have the big six: sometimes you may get a a team upset the applecart, like Leicester who have a turnover of roughly £150m, but really you have six teams who are considerably ahead of everyone else in terms of resources. The very best players will end up going there to maximise their earning potential and really without outside investment then the Premier League consists of: a very small group who are genuinely fighting for the title, a slightly larger group vying for a top 4 finish. The next is the race of Europe. The other is all about survival. 

How good would it be to see 20 teams in the Premier League on an even keel? A wage and spending cap meaning that you had 20 teams on financial similar ground, at least to what they can put out on the pitch, so it would make it a lot more competitive. It won't happen, but perhaps we will see more evolution in the future where it gives other teams a chance. The Premier League isn't that appealing to me - the best I can ever hope for as a Derby fan is a promotion into the Premier League and not to be relegated almost immediately after. I will die know that is the very ceiling of football I will ever see my own club play, it's quite sad in a way. 

Strip out the TV deals and disparity based on league finishing position and you get something like this:

image.thumb.png.2a1a50f88d9bee3626f9e3e8d3ff6768.png

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

the best I can ever hope for as a Derby fan is a promotion into the Premier League and not to be relegated almost immediately after. I will die know that is the very ceiling of football I will ever see my own club play, it's quite sad in a way. 

Not the case at all. Leicester promoted in 2014 just like we should have and now look at them.

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Not the case at all. Leicester promoted in 2014 just like we should have and now look at them.

Wolves been in Europe recently, Leeds doing well, foxes as you say. Villa have a great chance of qualifying for Europe, I'd say looking at promotion is just the first step.

1 hour ago, BIllyD said:

Wolves been in Europe recently, Leeds doing well, foxes as you say. Villa have a great chance of qualifying for Europe, I'd say looking at promotion is just the first step.

Arsenal on the decline. There's an argument to say that Leicester have a better side than they do. Anything is possible in this game. You just have to believe.

Archived