Rooney the Boss

Half fan

What a brilliant post-match interview.

"The players have to believe in each other the way I believe in them".

Contrast after another snatched win with Frank's "I bloody love Mason Bennett".

I know it's early days and we are only top for the past six games, but I'm seeing signs that our leader is a shrewd and inspirational and rightfully demanding Wayne "Fergie" Rooney.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Half fan said:

I know it's early days and we are only top for the past six games, but I'm seeing signs that our leader is a shrewd and inspirational and rightfully demanding Wayne "Fergie" Rooney.

It was the type of honest interview fans love.

Did he have an autocue? He keeps looking to his left when he’s asked a question then comes back with a belting answer!

He’s right about players being braver on the ball though. Too many play the simple pass and hope someone else does something positive. Also, the running off the ball to support teammates was poor. Players watching as a Derby player is surrounded by three opponents without offering an out ball.

We are struggling because there’s no obvious third midfield player at the moment.

If you tell them to hoof it and by-pass the midfield leading to a really ugly performance, and then you drop the two players who makes us tick as an attacking unit, why be surprised that they produced another hoofball ugly performance?

There’s too much smart arse tactical jiggery pokery which I suspect comes more from the assistant manager and coaches.

we are getting points - great. But does it really have to be this crap to watch? 

Just now, RamNut said:

If you tell them to hoof it and by-pass the midfield leading to a really ugly performance, and then you drop the two players who makes us tick as an attacking unit, why be surprised that they produced another hoofball ugly performance?

There’s too much smart arse tactical jiggery pokery which I suspect comes more from the assistant manager and coaches.

we are getting points - great. But does it really have to be this crap to watch? 

No, you don't have to watch. 

31 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It was the type of honest interview fans love.

Did he have an autocue? He keeps looking to his left when he’s asked a question then comes back with a belting answer!

He’s right about players being braver on the ball though. Too many play the simple pass and hope someone else does something positive. Also, the running off the ball to support teammates was poor. Players watching as a Derby player is surrounded by three opponents without offering an out ball.

We are struggling because there’s no obvious third midfield player at the moment.

Only Mac3 holding up the cue cards ?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Strange that you are being so vocal about the performance if you was not really watching it.

Strange that you feel a constant need to make little digs. But we are used to you Gareth.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Point 1: dead right.

Point 2: Sometimes it does. I fully expect us to return to football v Watford and LB and Byrne back. 

Really pleased by Rooney's honesty, you can see his got that form working under Ferguson a lot of managers would have said it was a great result etc. I thought we would struggle against Wycombe because they play that awful physical football that we get dominated by, but this new team under Rooney is a lot tougher and never give up and that was proven with Wisdom's last minute goal. And to think a lot of us me included were so against Rooney becoming manager. I was so wrong. 

I think the summer is going to be interesting. Assuming that everything doesn't go horribly wrong from here, Rooney is bound to get other offers for management jobs. I think if one of those offers came from Man U or Everton he'd be off like a Lampard.

If we're still an off-field basket case, I'd be quite surprised if he stayed at all. An offer from top Championship club would look very tempting compared to the cobbled together squad he'd have here. If we get sorted, we'll be a top Championship club again, so I doubt he'd jump ship for anyone else in this division.

Where it would get interesting is if a Premier League club that he didn't have a connection with came in. Would he fancy Southampton or Crystal Palace? Would he see managing abroad as a key part of his education?

I can see us all being nervous wrecks watching one Twitter rumour after another surface.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Sometimes in a relegation battle it does. I can't think of many teams who are bottom, six points from safety, a third of the way into the season manage to dig themselves out of it playing silky football. If you have the players capable of doing that so effectively then it's unlikely you'd ever sink so low.

Cocu's approach was slower, more methodical but far less ugly and I just don't think we have the players who are good enough to play that way and we lost all the time.

If you have quality throughout the team then you can impose your way of playing on other teams, you don't have to resort to playing it ugly against Wycombe, Boro etc., you can out-football them. We can't. The players aren't good enough. I think if we tried we'd probably lose.

I don't want to get relegated trying to play the right way, I'd rather stay in the division doing whatever we have to do to win. Then next season, when relegation isn't looming, we have some new players in and there's less pressure's off, we can try and play the right way.

I also don't think we set out to play out-and-out hoofball, a more varied physical game certainly, but it seems like the players just didn't execute what Rooney wanted them to do.

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

This is the ONLY thing that matters with the position we are in. Much rather win in an "ugly" fashion rather than attempting to play "nice football" and lose.

We can worry about style of play when we aren't constantly looking down the table. 

14 hours ago, Half fan said:

Yep I really like what I see and hear from Rooney ,I’m pretty certain there would have been no post Leeds / play off semi player pee up ,I reckon he would have been focusing minds on the job only being half done whilst pointing out that they were well capable of finishing the job at Wembley on that performance, let alone taking pro athletes on the pee with the biggest game of the season to come 

15 hours ago, Rampage said:

Rooney knows that if we can find a way to beat Watford then the juggernaut is rolling. I personally do not care how we beat Watford only that we beat them if possible.

Give Colin a base ball bat and we should win comfortably ?

Archived