Rooney the Boss

Half fan

12 hours ago, RamNut said:

If you tell them to hoof it and by-pass the midfield leading to a really ugly performance, and then you drop the two players who makes us tick as an attacking unit, why be surprised that they produced another hoofball ugly performance?

There’s too much smart arse tactical jiggery pokery which I suspect comes more from the assistant manager and coaches.

we are getting points - great. But does it really have to be this crap to watch? 

I think needs must at the moment.  Let's get away from the relegation battle then worry about the football 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Such a noble effort to include as many words as possible relating to "Baseball".

...Until you realise you failed to include the one related word that matters most... "Ground"!

BOOOOOOOOO!

Always leave a scrap for the keen. However, I did not spot the Rams connection. Well done. 

HURRRRRRAY

Liked the way he came out with a strong message saying that performance wasn’t acceptable. His interviews tend to be a good listen. Like I said the other day, he says things how they are, which is what you want to hear as a fan really. Honesty. Not trying to use the win to gloss over the poor showing, because it definitely wasn’t good enough. 

At least he’s acknowledged it, but obviously he’s got to walk the walk now as well as talk the talk. You play like we did yesterday, and unless you’re very lucky like we were, most of the time you walk away with nothing. Which is exactly what will happen on Friday if we don’t massively improve our performance level.

Feel like the past couple of days have been a turning point in our season. Although results have been good since Rooney came in, (and it could be said we've had more important turning points this season haha)  the past couple of days, following on from 4 wins in the previous 5, everything just clicked. We beat a poor team close to us at the bottom - somethings we've not really done all season. We've given ourselves more than 3 points gap from relegation (6 points!). And then the results went for us tonight too (Except QPR). Three things that just haven't happened for us, that all came along at once.

I can only see us climbing the table from here on in. And hopefully won't be looking down the table anymore if i can help it.

Wayne's body language as well as his actual phraseology were genuine and heartfelt.

Any member of the team who thought the manager would be ecstatic at the win was soon disillusioned.

He put me in mind of the story told by Cloughie's mate Boycott who went to the changing room after Forest won 4-0:-

"If you lot think I'm gonna say 'well done' after only putting four past that shower you've got another think coming!"

Great stuff Wayne!

Think Wayne’s taken his inspiration from Sir Alex, always remember the stories of him going on a tirade after his Aberdeen side won the Scottish cup going ballistic because he thought they’d played disgracefully. 

In fact, the clip is still around. Wayne’s learned from the best 

I’m really starting to warm to him.

That Wycombe game was atrocious but the interview afterwards was fantastic. That’s exactly the reaction I wanted to hear from a Derby manager. Felt like he said everything I was thinking. 

I don’t know. Maybe he’s going to end up being the opposite of Lampard. Less talking the talk, more walking the walk.

He has always been cautious of the press ( with good reason) and you could always tell in a lot of his interviews over his playing career either at Manchester United or even as England captain but I don’t particularly want to be impressed with his interviews I want to be impressed with the players playing for him and how he is using them to benefit Derby County.

whilst I enjoyed the lampard season immensely I was never convinced he would be here long enough to take it forward but so far Rooney has me feeling that this is a long term job. I do think he has benefited from being here as a player/coach and knows who can do what and who can’t 

Absolutely superb from Rooney tonight. Tactically, spot on. I’ve been so impressed with him, he’s galvanising a team spirit and work ethic that will be a success in this league. We’re strong, powerful, hard working - key ingredients for success. He adapts to the opposition like no manager I’ve seen. Keep it up Wayne! 

A fantastic few days for Rooney. Firstly, the results - 3 wins in 10 days & a bloody good effort away at a side flying near the top.

I've particularly enjoyed his hard nosed approach though. Him & Rosenior standing motionless as we won in injury time at Wycombe was just class. I've always liked managers who are calm & measured and the idea that a winner that dramatic made no difference to his demeanour or his post match interview must have sent a very clear message to the players.

Same with the pre-match stuff pre-Huddersfield - been a long time since we've had such an edge to us & refusing to chat with Holmes & Keogh was exactly the right thing to do. No more being a soft touch, don't give them any opportunity to disrupt our focus. Brilliant.

Tactically I think he's got it spot on too. Of course Middlesbrough & Wycombe were dire watches but Rotherham will have scarred Rooney so he's thought lets beat them at their own game. Spot on. People often forget that Fergie's Man Utd could be extremely pragmatic when they needed to be - Park Ji Sung always played against Arsenal to harass them for the full 90 mins. Watford we've then focused on keeping the ball better, which we did & should have nicked a point there. Tonight he recognised Huddersfield will keep the ball so packs midfield & springs the trap that we used so effectively against Swansea & Bournemouth.

Like Lampard, a very quick learner & a manager who has a knack of coaxing bounceback wins after bad results. He looks a natural.

17 hours ago, enachops said:

Absolutely superb from Rooney tonight. Tactically, spot on. I’ve been so impressed with him, he’s galvanising a team spirit and work ethic that will be a success in this league. We’re strong, powerful, hard working - key ingredients for success. He adapts to the opposition like no manager I’ve seen. Keep it up Wayne! 

Top class post, enachops. Some comments in there that are so true but so difficult to believe that he has done it in such a short time. We have a hard working genius on our hands. Nothing is being left to chance. He is coming up with a plan that gives us a chance to win each game.

6 hours ago, TimRam said:

Maybe all potential managers should have a few competitive games with the team first! Good stuff.

Wayne commented on this in a way. He said that no gap after retiring was a big help and obviously being at the same club meant that he knew the strengths and weaknesses of the players.

Archived