v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Kachunga heads wide from Bannan fk..

That chance came from Bielik arguing with the lino instead of marking his man then having to foul him. We really lost our way in the last 10 minutes. I'm a little concerned that not retating team and having a bench full of kids is going to bite us in the arse here.  

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

True, certainly up until Rooney took charge. Since then we have created chances, but not always taken them. Stoke comes to mind where we should have hammered them first half.

Baby steps. Cant finish chances if we don’t create them. Now we can create them, the next step is to work on finishing them. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

True, certainly up until Rooney took charge. Since then we have created chances, but not always taken them. Stoke comes to mind where we should have hammered them first half.

I'd actually say we weren't reliably creating  a decent amount of very good chances until Swansea. The odd chance and a handful of half chances sure but I don't think until we switched to a 433 we could reliably keep teams under the kind of pressure that you tend to need to start reliably breaking teams down. 

Just now, sage said:

That chance came from Bielik arguing with the lino instead of marking his man then having to foul him. We really lost our way in the last 10 minutes. I'm a little concerned that not retating team and having a bench full of kids is going to bite us in the arse here.  

Can't really argue against not having changed the team though, we should have been a couple of goals up within half an hour bar sitters being missed.

Games evolve like this - very few teams are good enough to apply solid pressure throughout.

More chances will come - be patient. 8 days rest after this game so we can afford to let players play until their knackered.

just need to edge up the pitch a bit higher and not drop backwards. 

Chances will continue to come.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Starting to fanny about a bit at the back having been great for 30mins.

wednesday more resilient than expected, but we’ve missed some sitters.

I think that came from a drop in energy levels in midfield meaning it got harder for Wisdom and Clarke to find an easy pass into midfield perhaps combined with them sitting in a bit more when we have it at the back.

Shame some of Cocu's critics lack his class. We seem to be enjoying his signings Jozwiak, CKR and Bielik well enough so not the total loss some portray.

In any case, how about creating a separate thread and not derailing the one for this game. It's tedious AF ?‍♀️

The CKR header against the bar is one of my favourite types of move - classic CF hold up play sticks the ball out wide, gets in the box for a stooping header. It would have been a classic of it went in. Reminded me of Cox’s late eighties team.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Can't really argue against not having changed the team though, we should have been a couple of goals up within half an hour bar sitters being missed.

I think were we perhaps went wrong was not taking off key players a bit earlier against Birmingham in order to save legs. Even here I don't think it's necessarily an issue given that it's easy to argue we should be out of sight. 

Just need to be proactive with subs.

14 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

U don’t have the answer ??? Why not ? ???

..because not everything is black and white like you seem to want it to be.

Not everything bad is Cocu's fault and not everything good is caused by Rooney.

19 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I take ur point on those two and balance but there’s no way cocu would have got us this into the opposition... offensively or defensively 

the lasting memory I will take from his regime ... passive and negative it think it’s fair comment 

My lasting memory is of it becoming a convoluted mess caused by everything that could go wrong, going wrong, which snowballed into the absolutely horrible end to last season / start to this one.

Rooney is being praised for simplfying things - in truth it would be impossible not to have done so. They were still massively confused when played Boro & the game before it with our 'coaching committee' (4 coaches - Rooney/Rosenior/Given/Walker) and that was AFTER we'd already got rid of Cocu/vdw/Scheepers - it's hardly a surprise that things got so messed up when we had 7 of them!

Archived