New Manager

dantheram

20 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not from what i can tell. I slate Mel for interfering, it would be unfair to then slate him for supporting his manager(s). 

If however, Cocu wasn’t afforded the opportunity to veto the Rooney signing, which i doubt he would’ve anyway, then Morris deserves some blame. 

But, the severe lack of balance in the playing squad is down to Cocu never grasping the requirements of the English game, in my opinion. 

I really think there wasn’t much cash for Cocu to spend compared with Lampard, indeed any other manager Mel appointed. Not knocking Morris here - he only had so much cash he could spaff up the wall, but Lampard’s loans were probably not affordable during Cocu’s reign.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Interesting to see Big Sam offering himself out on the EFL show. It leaves no doubt in my mind that if the money was right then he would be open to being Derby County manager. I personally would like it because he's seen an upturn at every club he's touched. He's very good at improving the players' decision making in critical areas of a pitch and he's one of the best managers to ever implement analytics in football. The first year in the Premier League with Bolton with a severely underfunded side, he used analytics to his advantage and kept them in the Premier League by just monitoring and instructing players on how to win second balls. 

A very tactically gifted manager who doesn't need the world's best players to make his system work and the football isn't as bad as advertised. It's simply built on getting the ball forward quickly and overloading different areas of the pitch. It's incomparable to the likes of Pulis and to some extent Warnock. 

Allardyce is a numbers man - he is very much a heavy analytics manager. 

Great point on the style of football. When you say it "isn't as bad as advertised. It's simply built on getting the ball forward quickly and overloading different areas of the pitch" it actually reminded me a lot of how Rooney has tried to set us up in recent games.

I can't help but feel like Big Sam and Wayne would be a really positive match. They got on really well at Everton by all accounts, and I feel like Wayne might learn a lot off of him if he became his No.2. It would also give Wayne the chance to keep playing, perhaps. I do wonder sometimes if Rooney fancies ending his playing career with a 3-0 defeat to Boro. 

I've said this all before, but as much as I think Wayne deserves credit for the last three games, I just don't think now is the time for a first-time manager. I'd feel a lot more comfortable having someone like Big Sam in there that the younger coaches can learn off and someone who can get us out of this mess (which we are still very much in). 

29 minutes ago, roboto said:

Eddie Howe? Charisma? Motivation? Am I thinking about the same guy as you, or is there another - better - Eddie Howe out there?

He's overrated based on the story that he took little old Bournemouth up to the top tier without anyone really questioning the budget that was spent. He's then gone about his business throwing lots of money at players that either didn't make the grade, he fell out with, or he couldn't get the best out of.

Pin this post ^^^^^^ ?

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I really think there wasn’t much cash for Cocu to spend compared with Lampard, indeed any other manager Mel appointed. Not knocking Morris here - he only had so much cash he could spaff up the wall, but Lampard’s loans were probably not affordable during Cocu’s reign.

Do i need to remind you about Bielik and Jozwiak? Whilst we clawed in some cash from Sheff United for our full backs, i bet Cocu shelled out as much as Lampard did!

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

They got on really well at Everton by all accounts

Do they? I remember Rooney refusing to shake Allardyce's hand after coming off.

6 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Eddie Howe? Charisma? Motivation? Am I thinking about the same guy as you, or is there another - better - Eddie Howe out there?

He's overrated based on the story that he took little old Bournemouth up to the top tier without anyone really questioning the budget that was spent. He's then gone about his business throwing lots of money at players that either didn't make the grade, he fell out with, or he couldn't get the best out of.

Sorry but calling Eddie Howe overrated is delusional. He took a team from League 2 to the Premier League and stayed there for 5 seasons. You may say he overspent on players, which he did, but he also made big profits on a lot of players too. These fallings out are not facts and are comments made by Glen Johnson who assumed he can't work with big players. Even in their current squad, they will be able to sell those for a lot more than they paid. They will make at least £30m on Brooks. Even the transfer profit Bournemouth got this season is from the players he bought. 

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Do i need to remind you about Bielik and Jozwiak? Whilst we clawed in some cash from Sheff United for our full backs, i bet Cocu shelled out as much as Lampard did!

And how did we afford the players Cocu bought? We had to sell Lowe and Bogle to buy Jozwiak. Bielik was mostly funded by Lampards departure, Delap and Thomas. Bielik was the only player we bought for a fee last season. Lampard spent £12.58m in 1 season, Cocu spent £11.25m in 2 seasons. 

Source:https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/Derby-county/alletransfers/verein/22

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

And how did we afford the players Cocu bought? We had to sell Lowe and Bogle to buy Jozwiak. Bielik was mostly funded by Lampards departure, Delap and Thomas. Bielik was the only player we bought for a fee last season. Lampard spent £12.58m in 1 season, Cocu spent £11.25m in 2 seasons. 

Source:https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/Derby-county/alletransfers/verein/22

Add to that Byrne, Te Wierek, Marshall, Ibe and several other freebies with decent signing on fees AND Rooney! Behave yourself, handing out faux pity on a highly paid failure of a manager. He was given as much chance as Lampard... no question, and made a simple job look impossible. 

I think those advocating Allardyce, Johnson (now Sunderland) and Howe should - just as an indicator - look at how they were viewed by supporters of clubs that they managed.

We have discussed Allardyce in this regard at length - how Everton and West Han fans wanted rid.

Bristol City fans were far from displeased when Johnson left.

I heard a lot on local radio and TV and spoke to some Bournemouth fans who did not rate Howe that highly, even before they were relegated. They wanted him gone sooner.

Pardew. 'nuff sed.

Of course, there can be other reason - like the stick Bruce got at Newcastle because he'd managed Sunderland - but at the very least, it might say something about their all round standing.

The counter example, for me, would be Benitez....I think of him as a dour, defensive manager but he seems to be held in high regard by Liverpool and Toon fans. And yeah, I know Liverpool came back to win the Champions League under him, after the crowd sang throughout half time and Gerrard put on one his barnstorming performances.

7 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Sorry but calling Eddie Howe overrated is delusional. He took a team from League 2 to the Premier League and stayed there for 5 seasons. You may say he overspent on players, which he did, but he also made big profits on a lot of players too. These fallings out are not facts and are comments made by Glen Johnson who assumed he can't work with big players. Even in their current squad, they will be able to sell those for a lot more than they paid. They will make at least £30m on Brooks. Even the transfer profit Bournemouth got this season is from the players he bought. 

Try telling Leeds fans how good Brian Clough was. Or more recently, tell Chelsea fans how well Rafa did with Liverpool. Not all managers (or players) fit well at a club and sometimes the timing and chemistry is just right.

If Howe was so good, how come he's still not got a job after leaving Bournemouth months ago? Surely there would've been a job suitable for him by now and he would've been snapped up. Ask Bournemouth fans how they rate him. Sure they'll say he'll go down in history for taking them up to the Premier League, but he didn't develop or evolve as a manager and the team suffered by sticking with him for too long. I'm sure another manager would've been able to take his budget from the last couple of seasons and keep that team in the Prem still, but that is just my opinion and the way I see it. We won't know for sure cos we can't turn back the clock and try out a different set of circumstances.

His record at Burnley also needs to be taken into account, pretty drab by all accounts.

Long post short... Howe is overrated (in my, and quite a few others opinion). This post is to prove that I'm not saying it as a delusional fool, but I have some substance to form these opinions. He would be the wrong fit for this club, but he isn't the worst name mentioned.

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Add to that Byrne, Te Wierek, Marshall, Ibe and several other freebies with decent signing on fees AND Rooney! Behave yourself, handing out faux pity on a highly paid failure of a manager. He was given as much chance as Lampard... no question, and made a simple job look impossible. 

Since when are players signing on fees included in transfer fees? Ibe isn't on a lot at all, according to Ryan Conway. Byrne and Te Wierik won't be on much and Marshall I'm not sure. Lets be honest, regarding Rooney, that wasn't Cocu's choice, also, does anyone even know what's actually happening regarding his wages? 

4 minutes ago, roboto said:

If Howe was so good, how come he's still not got a job after leaving Bournemouth months ago? Surely there would've been a job suitable for him by now and he would've been snapped up. Ask Bournemouth fans how they rate him. Sure they'll say he'll go down in history for taking them up to the Premier League, but he didn't develop or evolve as a manager and the team suffered by sticking with him for too long. I'm sure another manager would've been able to take his budget from the last couple of seasons and keep that team in the Prem still, but that is just my opinion and the way I see it. We won't know for sure cos we can't turn back the clock and try out a different set of circumstances.

His record at Burnley also needs to be taken into account, pretty drab by all accounts.

Long post short... Howe is overrated (in my, and quite a few others opinion). This post is to prove that I'm not saying it as a delusional fool, but I have some substance to form these opinions. He would be the wrong fit for this club, but he isn't the worst name mentioned.

There were no managerial changes in 2020/21 in the premier league. Also, is it not fair he wanted a bit of a break? 

His time at Burnley wasn't even that bad, Burnley were a bottom half championship side with a poor squad. Also, a lot of his signings at Burnley were excellent. Shackell, Trippier, Vokes, Ings and Mee to name a few.

45 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Completely agree. Howe gets so much stick these days that I'm starting to think he might actually be underrated. 

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground between 'next England manager' and 'fraud' in some people's eyes.

28 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

There were no managerial changes in 2020/21 in the premier league. Also, is it not fair he wanted a bit of a break? 

His time at Burnley wasn't even that bad, Burnley were a bottom half championship side with a poor squad. Also, a lot of his signings at Burnley were excellent. Shackell, Trippier, Vokes, Ings and Mee to name a few.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Perhaps my head has been turned by a few disgruntled Bournemouth fans I know.

I agree those names he signed at Burnley were (and are) good players, but how did he not get that team higher? Is he like the Burnley Nigel Clough and Stevie Mac is played by the Ginger Mourinho? I'm not usually this grumpy, but I'm getting bored of the lack of news or action coming from the club and none of the managers we've been linked with fill me with much hope. Whoever the next manager is, I hope they prove me wrong and turn the clubs fortunes around.

I still stand firmly by the lack of charisma comment though. Not sure Howe is the sort of person to save a sinking ship.

Feeling positive about all things Derby at the moment? call me delusional,misinformed,round the bend but I think we will come out of this on the right side of the tracks. Perhaps am just getting that Christmas feeling

( usually translates into the Rams not winning in January?)

or because with the covid vaccine being imminent things are generally looking up.

forest have had their take over and a new manager, spent their wonga and are no better than us ,so it's not all bad.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

You can disagree without being condescending and over reacting in your faux outrage at someone making a valid point.

I would argue finishing midtable whilst trying to cut a wage budget significantly and losing two of our best players is a good return. Fair enough it didn't work this season. But Lampard splashed the cash, do you think Mount, Tomori and Wilson were free? Maybe Chelsea let their darling off.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Forest fans hated McClaren. I love him. On that basis, I couldn’t care less what another bunch of delusional entitled fans who don’t know their place in the football world think about someone at their club! 

See what I said about Bruce and Newcastle......there are often other factors but....

Archived