New Manager

dantheram

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

When I visited Moor Farm there was a framed print of the Derby Way, explaining what it all stood for - academy, endeavour, respect, year on year progression, promotion to the PL and consolidation, challenging for honours.

It may have fallen woefully short, but it definitely existed.

Thanks Angie. I think Mel can put a tick against Academy, and we should give him some credit for endeavour, and his recent endeavour to get credit.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/12/2020 at 00:32, kevinhectoring said:

well, we don't know what the delay is, so why are the fans blaming MM? And if there is chiselling going on, he now so needs the deal that he's going to be feeling that chisel where the sun don't shine.

"Needn't have been announced until the ink was dry?" Well before the ink is dry, Dell are in the know, the EFL has approved the potential controller, Rooney's agent has probably told most of the football world, 32red know and there is a mass of uncontrolled noise and speculation surrounding the club.  And fans would be saying "your comms policy is poo why don't you have the decency to tell us what is going on'.

Give them some credit. They made a clear and timely announcement and told us all that there would be no further statements until the deal was done.  

Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't have to be like that though.

Didn't have to be, but that's what happened. If Rooney got us challenging the top six he'd be off like a rat up a drainpipe at the first Prem job that got chucked his way and we are then back to square one. 

Of course, that's a risk with any manager. But it's a nailed on certainty with Rooney. 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Didn't have to be, but that's what happened. If Rooney got us challenging the top six he'd be off like a rat up a drainpipe at the first Prem job that got chucked his way and we are then back to square one. 

Of course, that's a risk with any manager. But it's a nailed on certainty with Rooney. 

Exactly this! This is why we need an experienced manager who is keen to build something with us. I want a proper unity and willingness to build a team that will take us, and sustain us in the PL! 

I’m sick of the glamour and the ex international personal development plan. Let’s get a senior manager in and lets unite the county! 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why would a good experienced manager stay once they had 're-proved' themselves?

I think the point we are trying to make is that to the likes of Rooney and Terry we are only ever the first rung of the ladder to them. As soon as the next step presents itself they are off, regardless of the situation that leaves us with. You cannot plan longer term with them in charge. 

An older head or a less marketable name, that has been there and done it might fancy bedding down for a longer term project. 

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think the point we are trying to make is that to the likes of Rooney and Terry we are only ever the first rung of the ladder to them.

Why if they take us up? We'd (hopefully) be as keen to invest and do well as any other Prem club.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why if they take us up? We'd (hopefully) be as keen to invest and do well as any other Prem club.

If we'd have beaten Villa at Wembley and gone up Lampard would still have left us for Chelsea. 

With names as big as Lampard, Rooney and Terry they will always have suitors. There will always be bigger fish waiting to tempt them away and the likes of Lampard, Rooney and Terry won't turn them down. That is the reality of having names like that at our club. They might do well, but they are not a long term solution. 

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

That is the reality of having names like that at our club. They might do well, but they are not a long term solution. 

If any manager is any good there will be poaching attempts - even Mac was wanted by a Prem team!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

How many good signings can we credit Cocu with. Certainly Bielik, Jozwiack, Byrne, Marshall, Ibe and Kazim. How many others, remains to be seen. When we see these players performing at their best we should honour Cocu for his efforts and player selections.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If any manager is any good there will be poaching attempts - even Mac was wanted by a Prem team!

I agree. But in my opinion a former elite level player (like your Rooney and Terry types) is 100% guaranteed to jump at that chance, and the chance is 100% likely to present itself, whereas a different profile of manager is less likely. 

It's never a 0% chance, but you see the point I am trying to make. 

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

How many good signings can we credit Cocu with. Certainly Bielik, Jozwiack, Byrne, Marshall, Ibe and Kazim. How many others, remains to be seen. When we see these players performing at their best we should honour Cocu for his efforts and player selections.

That’s quite a lot if you think about it....

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

McClaren was a big name also though. Ex-England & title winner in Holland.

By contrast, no Prem club tempted Dyche, Wilder, Howe, Farke etc away...all got their sides promoted into the Prem but none of them had the profile to interest bigger clubs or the 'romance' factor that Lampard to Chelsea had or Rooney to Everton/Manu would provide.

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

By contrast, no Prem club tempted Dyche, Wilder, Howe, Farke etc away...all got their sides promoted into the Prem but none of them had the profile to interest bigger clubs

Probably because of the clubs they took up - Burnley, Sheff U, Bournemouth, Norwich...

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes the point is each one is different and you're not convincing me with your guessing.

I'm not guessing. Lampard did exactly the thing I am saying that the likes of Rooney and Terry would do. It would be incredibly naive to think a former elite level player would stay at an upper Championship size club any longer than absolutely necessary. 

Archived