New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Could somebody clarify if we are actually allowed to appoint Rooney under EFL rules given that he hasn't completed his badges? 

It may have changed, and I know this was the PL (but assume they are stricter on this), but when Southgate got the Boro job, I'm sure he didn't have all his badges and it was allowed on the basis he completed them within a set amount of time? Maybe I imagined that?

If it is Rooney (and I now think it will be), it will be interesting to see whether he needs to bring any more staff in, and what kind of players he will target.

7 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Could somebody clarify if we are actually allowed to appoint Rooney under EFL rules given that he hasn't completed his badges? 

It's an FA requirement for any manager or head coach of a professional club to have a UEFA A licence. I believe it takes at least 3 years to reach that level when starting from scratch.

According to the Telegraph, as of August 2019, he had been doing his badges "for a few years", so may not be far off.

A more recent article from the Independent go into better detail. Originally, Rooney planned on completing his A licence (required for managing in the Championship) by the end of this season, before starting the Pro licence course next season (required for managing in the PL).

The reality is if it was to be Rooney, he'll be the unofficial manager and his unofficial assistant will be the official manager. There may be a chance he/we can apply to the FA for special treatment.

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's an FA requirement for any manager or head coach of a professional club to have a UEFA A licence. I believe it takes at least 3 years to reach that level when starting from scratch.

According to the Telegraph, as of August 2019, he had been doing his badges "for a few years", so may not be far off.

A more recent article from the Independent go into better detail. Originally, Rooney planned on completing his A licence (required for managing in the Championship) by the end of this season, before starting the Pro licence course next season (required for managing in the PL).

The reality is if it was to be Rooney, he'll be the unofficial manager and his unofficial assistant will be the official manager. There may be a chance he/we can apply to the FA for special treatment.

Thanks thats really helpful. I was sure they could find a way around it

37 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I suppose they may loosen the requirement if a planned completion this year was disrupted by Covid. 

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Thanks thats really helpful. I was sure they could find a way around it

Perhaps they already have. He's allowed to be "interim" manager it would seem, so carry on being "interim" manager until he's got his badges ?

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I read a piece by Ryan Conway in The Athletic recently that Rooney currently only holds his UEFA B License.

I'm in the band the believe one way or another a way around it would be found, and given it's Wayne Rooney the appitie to stop him might not be the same as if it was Dave Noname.

Even if it's some arrangement where Steve McClaren or Liam Rosenoir is involved in the structure so that the "managment team" meet all the requirements, it'll be Rooney's show.

The performances, and most importantly the results, have improved in the last couple of games.

That being said, I still don’t believe appointing Rooney is in the long term interest of the club.

Slaven Bilic sounds like he is one loss away from the sack at WBA. He or Jokanovic would be my two top picks.

6 hours ago, James Pond said:

Reports this Morning in the Derby Telegraph that the players are enjoying training again and are behind WR becoming the next Manager...sounds a good endorcement to me?

Yeah - weren't they pictured "enjoying training" with the committee just before they turned in one of the most inept performances of the season so far at Boro?

They ought to enjoy winning and the level of performance they are able to put in to achieve that - training should be the means to the end, not some sort of p*** about!

20 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Yeah - weren't they pictured "enjoying training" with the committee just before they turned in one of the most inept performances of the season so far at Boro?

They ought to enjoy winning and the level of performance they are able to put in to achieve that - training should be the means to the end, not some sort of p*** about!

Both comments you're right, Both Bogle and Lowe commented on how training wasn't something they liked, I've worked at places over my lifetime where new Managers come in with a different work ethic for a certain product, Set up a training plan with HR, No consultation with the workforce but expect a significant progress in production.

The old adage is..."people don't like change" it would appear from some including myself, The players weren't at the races under Cocu.

20 hours ago, SouthernRam said:

He or Jokanovic would be my two top picks.

Agreed. 

slav or big. S. For me, also you’re exactly right on Rooney. But I fear the PR is too much for the club to resist and it’s only a matter of time before he’s confirmed. 
As he’s already on the wage bill (or 32 red’s) appointing him will also be a cheap option.

☹️

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Interesting to hear Ryan Conway tonight (on his Derby Digest video) say that the interview process is "underway" and that Derby have heard pitches from other candidates.

That's somewhat of a relief for me, if true...

I just hope it ain’t window dressing. We need to decide soon one way or the other 

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Interesting to hear Ryan Conway tonight (on his Derby Digest video) say that the interview process is "underway" and that Derby have heard pitches from other candidates.

That’s great news. It’s about time we sorted the manager situation out, 7 games with a caretaker manager in charge is ridiculous. We can’t keep waiting for the takeover to go through, if it’s still weeks away. Pleased to see we are talking to other candidates as well, I still don’t want Rooney given our precarious situation.

18 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s great news. It’s about time we sorted the manager situation out, 7 games with a caretaker manager in charge is ridiculous. We can’t keep waiting for the takeover to go through, if it’s still weeks away. Pleased to see we are talking to other candidates as well, I still don’t want Rooney given our precarious situation.

We have to appoint the manager that the takeover crew want. Simples.

34 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wonder who’s listening 

Archived