New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Not having a go at you CR, but there really is no such thing as the Derby Way. It’s a figment of Med Mel’s imagination, and was his ‘get out of jail card’ when he wanted to send ‘our Alex Ferguson’ on his merry way.

Med mel ? Has he done a Maxwell?

I was totally against Rooney being manager, I'm still not happy with how things have happened, but I'm slowly coming round.

Forget the opposition, 3 games unbeaten, had we got a draw against Coventry and Millwall and beaten Wycombe I'd have been very happy.

All eyes on the Brentford game for me, if Rooney does, truly watch the opposition and constantly think of tactics as he claims, I think we should see a fairly attacking team on Wednesday. If we can pick up at least a point I'd be over the moon with him.

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Will have to agree to disagree with you on that one. I can understand when you're coming from: Martin O'Neil's time at Leicester and Celtic doesn't mean he'd be a good candidate today, for example. But I think Big Sam has been present enough in and around the game to not have lost touch in the way you are implying. I also personally think that Bolton team would be just fine if you put them in the Premier League today. Anelka, Okocha, Sturridge, Campo, Hierro, Ricardo Gardner, Stellios, Kevin Nolan...they were great to watch.

It's an unreasonable request if the remit is to stop the side plummeting to the bottom of the table. That's the job he was brought in to do at Everton. He did that, and took them up to eighth. I worked with a guy who covered Everton GrandOldTeam at the time he was in charge, and he hated Allardyce. But that was more to do the way he thinks an Everton team should play, as opposed to results. I don't think Derby County supporters should be too preoccupied with the style of play when we are 23rd in the Championship. 

His ultimate aim is not to "play hoofball." That's a misconception that he gets really upset about if you watch interviews with him or listen to interviews with him. This is the bit that irritates me the most. It's unfair to assume that a Derby County side he is in charge of would play a certain way. It's exactly the same as assuming we'd piss the league like Leceister City under Pearson or play beautiful, swash-buckling attacking football under Barca legend Phillip Cocu. 

Fair points about Allardyce at Bolton. They did play decent stuff & they did integrate some very technically gifted players into their framework. Would also agree Everton wasnt a long enough time frame & Sunderland/Palace were rescue jobs where results were the be all & end all.

West Ham is probably the job that suggests he's a bad fit for us. It was much more recent than Bolton (2011-15) & as he spent 4 years there, a decent time period to judge him. Firstly, the style of play was very physical & direct despite starting with WHU in the Championship as overwhelming favourites to go back up i.e. with talent & money that the rest of the division couldn't compete with, he still reverted to dismal football. Fair to say the fans hated it...'we're West Ham Utd, we play on the ground' was oft-heard there & fans (apparently) booed him at the playoff final which they won to go up.

During his time at WHU, he also was accused of ignoring the Academy & bringing in athletes to play his way. They're a club that like to bring kids through & it went down very badly that he refused to do so. Assuming thats his approach to youth, that seems to run totally counter to how our club wants to move forward & be sustainable.

Allardyce ultimately got West Ham into the Prem & settled them into mid-table. Im sure we'd settle for that on the face of it but we'd be naive to think style doesnt matter at Derby...because it does. Phil Brown, Nigel Pearson & Gary Rowett were mostly loathed during their time here and that lack of buy in to a manager's style does affect a team's chance of success. Big Sam has a great record on paper, his issues with England dont bother me in the slightest but I think he would be a very bad fit here.

Id love Big Sam to come in. 

This style of play is nonsense. We played excellent football under Mac One. We played slow possession based backwards & sideways nonsense under cocu & clement. Rowett was counter attacking relied on Vydra & was poo, pearsons football was also poo. Nigel clough wasn't exactly liquid football either. Frank had a couple of good games, the leeds semi final papers over some of the poor performances & technically nieve. Before that Jewell & Davies were poor. I thought Burley played good football especially under the circumstances but he left in 2005

So in 15 years other than a season & half, two at a push both under Mac we haven't exactly been playing like a 1970s Brazil. 

Why do our fans have such high demands over the style of play. 

This youngsters not coming through nonsense is also not true. If they're good enough they'd play. If we bought players better than our youngsters then they'd go out on loan & come back & play if / when good enough. Its pointless promoting youth for the sake of it if theyre not going to develop into a player good enough to take us forward 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Enjoyed Burley, though that was largely due to it being new to it all and loving Rasiak and Idiakez!

Other than that...McClaren, the Billy promotion season, bits of the Rowett regime...not a lot else!

Billy Turncoat ? Who wished it was Prestons colours on the trophy ? 

49 minutes ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

Rooney has managed 3 games, and been unbeaten 

That statistic completes forgives the fact we’ve bottled wins against two of the worst teams in the league. Not to mention the games managed by Rooney with Rosenior. 

Bielik and CKR coming into the side has been the real difference for me.

9 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Why do our fans have such high demands over the style of play. 

Because like Forest, we are a child of Clough. Certain clubs have expectations based on the style in which they won things, some dont...its why Pulis could succeed at Stoke & Pearson at Leicester.

Its also the reason both clubs are languishing where we are because attractive football isn't a quick fix, the lack of success leads to knee jerk reactions to bring a results-based manager, they either dont succeed or get driven out & the whole vicious circle starts all over again. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Rooney hasn't been playing hoofball. It's more direct than Cocu's football, but it's nothing like hoofball. 

In his last few jobs, who played attractive football? I don't think going back to 2007 and before makes sense, when we have plenty of recent examples - teams with better squads than we do, and none of them played attractive football. 

Sure he'd stabilise us, I won't deny that, but Rooney has actually stabilised us a bit anyway. We should be bringing in someone with the future in mind, in my view.

I'd argue appointing Rooney isn't a stable long term choice for us. The first whiff of success (if that ever materialised) and we end up in a Lampard situation when he clears off for a perceived bigger job.

We will only ever be a stepping stone for Rooney's managerial career, or he crashes and burns and we suffer. 

Either way Derby don't get much out of it. 

Not saying ITk'ers are full of **** but Terry was looking odds on and people were saying when not if.. 

Benitez looked promising, before we were supposedly looking to nick Swansea's manager..or David Wagner.. . Ohhh not forgetting John Gregory... or Eddie Howe...

Now its Allardyce...or Rooney with help. 

Weirdly the only thing that has happened is Steve coming in and no one saw that coming. 

Talk about throw enough crap at the wall and then claim whatever sticks is yours. 

14 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Because like Forest, we are a child of Clough. Certain clubs have expectations based on the style in which they won things, some dont...its why Pulis could succeed at Stoke & Pearson at Leicester.

Its also the reason both clubs are languishing where we are because attractive football isn't a quick fix, the lack of success leads to knee jerk reactions to bring a results-based manager, they either dont succeed or get driven out & the whole vicious circle starts all over again. 

But anyone who can remember a clough side winning the league would have had to be born early - mid 60s to even remember his league winning side ?‍♂️

My point is why do we expect free flowing attractive football when their will be middle aged supporters who have seen this club in the second tier more than the top tier playing some awful stuff. 

Surely the aim should be survival, get promoted, become established & then slowly work on playing better football while having the riches of the top flight ?‍♂️ the ideal might be to go up playing good stuff but unfortunately we can't always have what we want & we'd probably get outplayed if we went up 

I just dont think alardyce football is as bad as some make out 

13 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'd argue appointing Rooney isn't a stable long term choice for us. The first whiff of success (if that ever materialised) and we end up in a Lampard situation when he clears off for a perceived bigger job.

We will only ever be a stepping stone for Rooney's managerial career, or he crashes and burns and we suffer. 

For the record, I don't think Rooney is the answer either. I'd rather it in the short term to Big Sam, though. 

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If he's any good (like Lampard) then it benefits us. Lets settle for a manger no-one else wants! ?

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Not having a go at you CR, but there really is no such thing as the Derby Way. It’s a figment of Med Mel’s imagination, and was his ‘get out of jail card’ when he wanted to send ‘our Alex Ferguson’ on his merry way.

When I visited Moor Farm there was a framed print of the Derby Way, explaining what it all stood for - academy, endeavour, respect, year on year progression, promotion to the PL and consolidation, challenging for honours.

It may have fallen woefully short, but it definitely existed.

3 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Big Sam has literally come out and said he wants the Derby job in that Quest interview. Its no brainer for me and a lot of Derby fans! 

It’s up to the people upstairs to scrap this ex pro training wheel position and turn it into a proper management position! 

I feel rather uncomfortable with Sam Allardyce turning up for his first ever appearance on the EFL show, only to make a very public pitch for the job.

15 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

But anyone who can remember a clough side winning the league would have had to be born early - mid 60s to even remember his league winning side ?‍♂️

My point is why do we expect free flowing attractive football when their will be middle aged supporters who have seen this club in the second tier more than the top tier playing some awful stuff. 

Surely the aim should be survival, get promoted, become established & then slowly work on playing better football while having the riches of the top flight ?‍♂️ the ideal might be to go up playing good stuff but unfortunately we can't always have what we want & we'd probably get outplayed if we went up 

I just dont think alardyce football is as bad as some make out 

Thats true but it'll embed itself into the fabric of the club & across generations, particularly as we've had no major success for 45 years to measure it against.

I could live with a version of the football Allardyce played at Bolton & would also be lying if I wasnt a little bit chuffed he seemed to be pitching for the job on telly. He is a big name to be dropping to this level. My concern is that Bolton seems an outlier compared to most of his recent jobs. Whilst folk might tolerate him if its incredibly successful, there would be uproar if we werent getting results & playing grim stuff.

Good mate of mine is a long time WHU season ticket holder...he absolutely despises Big Sam still & says most of their lot seem to feel the same.

Archived