Competition - Win a copy of Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

First game at Pride Park v Wimbledon. 

Went with a mate and were enjoying the game (2-1 up) when pouff! The lights went out. Huge cheers all round. 

We all thought it would get better. 

Uriah Rennie pretending he was in control of the situation. Joe Kinnear realising they were stuffed if we waited. 

Great drive back to Bristol that night I can tell you. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm guessing the point would be to pick a home game and probably not one as obvious as mine, but I like the story of that night so...

Mine's a pretty recent one that pops into my mind quite a lot for some reason and always makes me smile when it does. It was the fourth round game in the EFL Cup two years back. It's odd that a game we ended up losing is one of favourites, but it was such a magnificent spectacle and one I feel certain the neutrals will have absolutely loved. It had literally everything a cup tie should and then some.

I guess it resonates for me particularly as coming hard on the back of a stellar 3rd round win against United (2-2 then 8-7 on penalties - Keoooooooo!) I figured things couldn't really get any crazier. How wrong I was! Chelsea away and the madness of two of the best taken own goals you'll ever see (well nearly!), clawing our way back into the game only for Fabregas to score the only goal by a player wearing blue that night. Then Nuge hits the post with almost the last kick of the game and with Caballero beaten all ends up, the ball pops straight off the post and into his hands.

Not many teams go to Chelsea, score four and end up losing. Despite all, at the time, I couldn't recall the last occasion I'd felt so proud of the club, nor so happy about a losing performance. United was amazing, but for me this trumped it because we showed the United game wasn't a one off or a fluke, we showed we could play and that we'd fight to win, no matter what. Losing is ok when the players show you that, better than OK in truth.

I guess Leeds 2 trumped it in the end but in that season, the players, the coaches and the fans came together and boy what a ride it was. Hell, even Mel was bouncing. That sense of oneness will always stick with me, hence my choice. And I'm smiling again now! 

That was a great night. 

That season, for all its faults, gave me some brilliant memories. The fact that the game you describe isn’t anywhere near the top of the list speaks volumes.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That was a great night. 

That season, for all its faults, gave me some brilliant memories. The fact that the game you describe isn’t anywhere near the top of the list speaks volumes.

I absolutely loved that season. In all honesty, I think that's why I was pissy over Frank leaving. I didn't want it all to end. 

Wigan away, 2008. More for what happened on the way to the game than what happened during it. I must have been misbehaving that week as my dad decided to punish me (and my brother) by taking us to watch another abysmal performance.

Sitting on the train, I was watching a large group of drunk Derby fans in bewilderment as they smashed the train up. One of the group members (seemingly the drunkest) was bouncing up and down and must have forgotten he was holding a beer as he was unaware that he was shaking it with it fizzing all over me. Strangely he was very quiet after my dad squared up to him.

The police were waiting for the group as they stepped out on the platform at Wigan.

Wimbledon away, at the Hockey Stadium.  Last match of the season, and when tickets went on sale, we were still in with a very good shout of going down!

I missed out on DCFC tickets, but as we got nearer to the game... and the potential for a last day survival party... 5 mates and me decided we wouldn't mind being there after all.

With a combination of impeccable telephone manner, charming wit, but mostly blatant lies, I managed to wangle a group of 6 tickets together (I presume I still hold my official Wimbledon supporters number, but I'm damned if I can remember it... it must have been at least 4 digits!), in the home end, which were duly posted out to me... using my sister's address in Southend!  :-)

It was a dead rubber in the end, due to our survival being confirmed the week before (at home to Millwall?).  It was an absolutely dire game, and we lost 1-0.

But we were placed towards the front of the end block, just around the corner from our own away fans.  Within 3 minutes of kick off, some nob head on the front row (of our block... home end, remember) decided to stand up, whip off his jacket, and reveal his Rams shirt.  Then a mate either side of him.  Howls were heard from the adjoining block (just a staircase between us), and the pitchside stewards slowly made their way towards us, with an obvious ejection being at the forefront of their minds. 

Within seconds, two more on the second row... then me and my mates on the third row.  A full minute later, there were c. 120-150 Rams fans, stood, exposing the Ram, in one guise or another.  Shirts, scarves, even a couple of flags pulled out from under their coats!  Arms aloft we stood, and backed DCFC with all the might our lungs could muster!

Eject us all now, Mr Yellowcoat!  ? 

The block was full, and I maintain to this day that each and every seat was taken up by a Rams Fan!

Yes, there were a few complaints (and cry-baby tantrums) from the neighbouring home block, but the stewards made the right decision, we all promised to behave, and the banter flowed back and forth, perfectly, throughout the whole game.  It probably helped that the home side went on to win, and we all sauntered safely back to our cars.  Have to say, I've never been so entertained during such a dour game!

I have to add that, from where we were sat, the actual away fans in the actual away stands (one full side plus one full end) weren't enjoying the day anywhere near as much as us.  Still, I'm sure things would have been different if we had still needed that last day win!

A big shout out to the Wimbledon ticket bods, who clearly knew something wasn't right, with all these "first time Wimbledon fans" wanting tickets, (plus they were already relegated, if memory serves?) but at least they backed their obvious suspicions by plonking us all together, row upon row, in the same block, down in the corner nearest the away fans.

It was just like being back in my teens... but without the need to be dodging fists!  Fantastic!  ?

*Just googled it... 9th May, 2004.

Derby vs Ipswich Tuesday 22nd Aug 2018. My lads first game on a glorious summers evening and we won 2-0 with goals from Ledley and Lawrence. I remember him looking so excited in his luminous green away kit and ear protectors. I told the wife we probably didn't need to bother with the ear protectors but it was her first Derby match too! 

There are some wild suggestions here, but it's really interesting to hear which mundane games end up sticking in the mind! I can't remember if I said, but the copy will probably be signed by a former player as well. I managed to get buy in from Barker, Bryson and Oakley who have agreed to sign a few. If anyone is keen on getting a signed copy from one of them, just drop me a message!

Will announce a winner on Wednesday evening I reckon, so get your suggestions in! ?

4th December 2004

Derby Vs Coventry

Official scoreline 2-2, my scoreline 0-2. The only game I've ever left before the final whistle, we were playing awful, I had work straight after the game so was in a bad mood anyway, left 87 mins, by the time I got to work (worked at KFC on pride Park at the time) it was 2-2, didn't believe anyone when they said it was 2-2.

After long and careful consideration about this being a Derby fan for around 22 years, there was obviously so many to choose from haha but in the end I went with....

21st Jan 2006

Coventry City 6 Derby County 1

The Phil Brown era nearing it's dark and pretty poo end.

I was 16 at the time and it was Derbys first ever visit to the highly anticipated Ricoh Arena. Derby looking for some revenge following Highfield Roads last ever game and Coventry doing us over 6-2.

A cold saturday afternoon that started with so much excitement about visiting a very new ground and hopefully seeing a half decent game to warm us up. Pre match was as weird as anything as they were filming a scene for a Ray Winstone film about football named 'All in the game's Ray came on the pitch to show off a new signing... Coventry fans doing their part by cheering etc and Derby fans booing and chanting "what the duck is going on" which was edited out for the film as I have actually seen it. I still use it as my claim to fame today that I was an extra in a Ray Winstone film ??

Anyway the match started so well with Derby taking the lead through Paul Peschisolido within the first minute.. so yea a brilliant start. What followed is what could only be described as  Dennis Wise masterclass as he absolutely tore us apart at nearly 40 years  old and we ended up losing the game 6-1 with Wise scoring a goal. What made it worse is that Stern John who was on loan with us literally 2 months earlier managed to score for them after not scoring at all for us. 

So my memorable game is that one. A game to sum up the mess and poor era under Phil Brown. I was sick aswell the following monday and ended up missing a few days off college... not sure if it was a sickness bug or that awful afternoon that contributed to my sickness.

Fingers crossed for the book... sounds like a great read. 

I’ve got a few that I’ve been too that stick in the memory for good and bad reasons but I’m going with one I didn’t go to!!  It’s a bit of a random one but Bradford v Derby in 2000.  This was the 4-4 draw I was at the beam back at Pride Park that failed miserably.

Me and my future wife had got there nice and early (I know how to show a girl a good time!!), seat in front of the telly and a beer in hand (she was driving) and ready for the match to start.  And then nothing!!  We had Radio Derby commentary for probably one of the most exciting games in our spell in the Premier League, particularly first half.  I think Craig Burley scored two penalties and missed a third for a unique hat-trick.

Rams 3 Newport 3, December 1984

We were awful from what I remember. I think Newport went 3-0 up with around 15 minutes left. I turned to my brother and said we may as well go home. His reply was that we'll draw this!

John Robertson was then phenomenal - Davison and Garner scored before Robertson got the equaliser. I think we then had a chance to win it but Robertson dived for a penalty when he could have had a shot.

5th March 1969

Derby 0 Crystal Palace 1

This was the only home loss of our 1969/1970 promotion season.

Some of you may remember how the fog used to roll in a the Baseball Ground and the flood lights were not the best in the world.

Derby were attacking the Osmaston end and I was watching the game in the Normanton end. I couldn’t see past the half way line the fog was so thick  Derby were attacking most of the time so I didn’t see most of the second half.

All of a sudden out of the fog came a Crystal Palace player with the ball at his feet he ran towards the Derby goal and scored, no one chased him, I don’t think the rest of the  players knew where the ball was.

Derby suffered their only home defeat in the 1969/70 season in the oddest of circumstances

Some wonderfully average games in here. Always find it interesting the absolute random games that stick out to people though and how a nothing match can mean so much for one reason or another.

If anyone else fancies being in with a chance, I'll be announcing the winner tomorrow during the day. Big thanks to @David for pinning the thread as well

21 September 2013

We lost at home to Reading and I can’t remember much about the match itself, but it was the first game I took my kids to. We went with my Dad and we lost him the following year, so I’m just so grateful we all got to go to a few games together that season.

I started going with my Dad and his parents at that age, so it felt like a real rite of passage for my kids.

4 hours ago, Kinder said:

21 September 2013

We lost at home to Reading and I can’t remember much about the match itself, but it was the first game I took my kids to. We went with my Dad and we lost him the following year, so I’m just so grateful we all got to go to a few games together that season.

I started going with my Dad and his parents at that age, so it felt like a real rite of passage for my kids.

Nothing better than initiating your children into a lifetime of misery and disappointment. Mine was subjected to a 1-0 home defeat to MK Dons as his first game - and they aren’t even a proper football team! 

I don't get to see many games, but this game really sticks in my mind. It was a few days before my birthday in 88/89 season, and so for a birthday present, I treated myself to the match. I took a West Ham supporting work mate along to the Baseball Ground to see us playing against his team West Ham in League 1. We had one of my favourite players Dean Saunders and I think it was Phil Gee up front with Shilton in goals. From memory, Deano put us one up from a corner in the first 5 mins or so, but I can't remember who got their equaliser. I do however remember who got West Hams winner in a 2-1 away win. Liam Brady was one of those players who just oozed class, he was a wizard of his time. I remember him collecting the ball on the right wing, cutting inside, and being amazed as just like the biblical parting of the waves, the Rams defence stood still and seemed to move to the side giving Brady a clear view at goal. He unleashed a thunderbolt from around 25/30 yards. Shilton could do nothing as the ball rocketed over his head and into the roof of the net. I think the whole Baseball Ground was stunned into silence with the exception of the travelling fans. My mate standing next to me obviously stayed nice and quiet, but made up for it with his gloating as I drove the two hours or so back home. As disappointed as I was , I just couldn't help but admire what a superb goal I had just seen, and can still see clearly nearly 31 years later. I believe Leroy Rosenior played up front for West Ham. Does anyone else remember this match?

Archived