Competition - Win a copy of Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

Derby 2-1 Crystal Palace (25 March 2006)

This was my first season as a season ticket holder and we were dreadful all season (which makes me wonder why me and my Dad ended up getting another one the following season), however I vividly remember us getting played off the park early on in this game, but yet still having a nagging feeling that we would win it.

My Dad thought I was insane, but an Idiakez brace got us the win (seem to recall one of them being a screamer). Nothing else special happened in the game, but it sure sticks in my memory

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, ramant62 said:

I don't get to see many games, but this game really sticks in my mind. It was a few days before my birthday in 88/89 season, and so for a birthday present, I treated myself to the match. I took a West Ham supporting work mate along to the Baseball Ground to see us playing against his team West Ham in League 1. We had one of my favourite players Dean Saunders and I think it was Phil Gee up front with Shilton in goals. From memory, Deano put us one up from a corner in the first 5 mins or so, but I can't remember who got their equaliser. I do however remember who got West Hams winner in a 2-1 away win. Liam Brady was one of those players who just oozed class, he was a wizard of his time. I remember him collecting the ball on the right wing, cutting inside, and being amazed as just like the biblical parting of the waves, the Rams defence stood still and seemed to move to the side giving Brady a clear view at goal. He unleashed a thunderbolt from around 25/30 yards. Shilton could do nothing as the ball rocketed over his head and into the roof of the net. I think the whole Baseball Ground was stunned into silence with the exception of the travelling fans. My mate standing next to me obviously stayed nice and quiet, but made up for it with his gloating as I drove the two hours or so back home. As disappointed as I was , I just couldn't help but admire what a superb goal I had just seen, and can still see clearly nearly 31 years later. I believe Leroy Rosenior played up front for West Ham. Does anyone else remember this match?

I remember that goal well - it was brilliant. My memory is of the ball getting lodged in the stantion of shilton’s right hand post and the crossbar - don’t k ow if that is correct or not. The goal was at the ossie end if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, ramant62 said:

I don't get to see many games, but this game really sticks in my mind. It was a few days before my birthday in 88/89 season, and so for a birthday present, I treated myself to the match. I took a West Ham supporting work mate along to the Baseball Ground to see us playing against his team West Ham in League 1. We had one of my favourite players Dean Saunders and I think it was Phil Gee up front with Shilton in goals. From memory, Deano put us one up from a corner in the first 5 mins or so, but I can't remember who got their equaliser. I do however remember who got West Hams winner in a 2-1 away win. Liam Brady was one of those players who just oozed class, he was a wizard of his time. I remember him collecting the ball on the right wing, cutting inside, and being amazed as just like the biblical parting of the waves, the Rams defence stood still and seemed to move to the side giving Brady a clear view at goal. He unleashed a thunderbolt from around 25/30 yards. Shilton could do nothing as the ball rocketed over his head and into the roof of the net. I think the whole Baseball Ground was stunned into silence with the exception of the travelling fans. My mate standing next to me obviously stayed nice and quiet, but made up for it with his gloating as I drove the two hours or so back home. As disappointed as I was , I just couldn't help but admire what a superb goal I had just seen, and can still see clearly nearly 31 years later. I believe Leroy Rosenior played up front for West Ham. Does anyone else remember this match?

Paragraphs, man!

Memorable for all the wrong reasons. Opening game of the season and at Pride Park against Stoke City. We lost 0-3 and it sticks in my memory as being possibly the worse performance in all the time I have been watching the Rams. I say possibly because I have been watching them since the end of the 1950s

3 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Memorable for all the wrong reasons. Opening game of the season and at Pride Park against Stoke City. We lost 0-3 and it sticks in my memory as being possibly the worse performance in all the time I have been watching the Rams. I say possibly because I have been watching them since the end of the 1950s

Hottest game I’ve ever been too as well 

I'll go for this game at Pride Park in 2017. First Derby game for my eldest boy at Pride Park. We won 2-0 and as I watched the game I watched my boy throughout the game and felt so proud to be alive and so proud to be his father and to see him in his seat watching and enjoying the Pride Park experience. We had the added bonus of catching the train back to Sheffield after the game surrounded by Owls fans before spending the night with Sheffield Wednesday friends.

My boy is a Liverpool fan, and he understands the passion, the pride, the respect for other football fans, in the football family and it's only a matter of time before the penny drops and he becomes a Mighty Rams Fan like his dad.

6 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I remember that goal well - it was brilliant. My memory is of the ball getting lodged in the stantion of shilton’s right hand post and the crossbar - don’t k ow if that is correct or not. The goal was at the ossie end if I remember correctly. 

Yes, you are right, it did indeed lodge as you say in the top right corner of the net.

Derby 1-1 Brentford

11th April 2015

Brentford scored in the 28th minute and deservedly held on to the lead until the 92nd minute when Darren Bent put in a mis-kick by Jeff Hendricks.

Even Steve McC agreed that Brentford should have won and I recall saying to Mozza and Cissé that they 'wuz robbed!'

It was my most memorable match at Pride Park.

(Mind you all my other matches were at the BBG!)

PS I know I'm too late to enter but it's fun anyway!

3 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Derby 1-1 Brentford

11th April 2015

Brentford scored in the 28th minute and deservedly held on to the lead until the 92nd minute when Darren Bent put in a mis-kick by Jeff Hendricks.

Even Steve McC agreed that Brentford should have won and I recall saying to Mozza and Cissé that they 'wuz robbed!'

Well done Steve at least you met the in the last 20 years brief?

3 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Derby 1-1 Brentford

11th April 2015

We were so poor that day I didn't even clap the equaliser, I was that disgusted we'd robbed a point.

Derby County v Cardiff City, 02 November 2011

After that season, the eleven point one, I gave up my season ticket and sat on the edge of being a fan for a while. It had just been too horrible. Then, for reasons other than running away from the memory of Jay McEverley and Gary Teale, I moved abroad and only kept up remotely. Fortuitously, I was back on business in November 2011 and happened to be stopping in Derby (along with six Indian colleagues that I was with). We checked into the hotel and only then did it dawn on me that we were at home, that night, when I saw two Derby fans sat in reception, resplendent in black and white. I dumped my colleagues - unceremoniously - and set off for the ground, feeling the warm glow of falling back in love with a childhood sweetheart. These were the days of dynamic pricing so I went to the ticket office expecting to be charged a kidney for entry but got in for normal price and took up my seat in the East Stand, only two rows from where I had sat as a season ticket holder. My love was rekindled and we were reunited, everything was rosy in the garden.

Derby were utterly awful, we lost 3-0, our strike force of Chris Maguire and Mason Bennett was as effective as a toothless tiger, high on mescaline, chained to a rock. Apparently, so I have just found out, we had someone called Russell Anderson playing for us. To this day I have no recollection who he was and I certainly have no memory of him on that night. It was the footballing equivalent of ironing your best shirt to meet back up with your ex-girlfriend only to be met at the bus stop by her sister (who always hated you) and to be told that she was, at this very moment, writhing about naked in the house across the road where the bedroom light was on, with your best mate. I was broken, shattered. But true love never dies and at some point, I don't quite remember when, I returned to my love and found that she can be just as wonderful as she ever was - at least sometimes.

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Remember that one- Keogh at full back and Martin out wide ???. Cracking goal from Pritchard- what happened to him

Went back to Spurs, got injured then moved to Norwich, although I'm almost always wrong with such memories.

He was a good little player.

44 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Well done Steve at least you met the in the last 20 years brief?

There was a last 20 years brief? What about those of us who can’t remember the last 20 years  but can remember the BBG like it was yesterday?

I am still recovering from the fact that someone has told me that Mel Sage isn’t nearing full fitness after all.

30 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Remember that one- Keogh at full back and Martin out wide ???. Cracking goal from Pritchard- what happened to him

Just checked, he's made two moves since then for a combined £18m quid, and now struggles to get in Huddersfields team in League One, still only 27 and out of contract at year end.

Archived