Competition - Win a copy of Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/12/2020 at 08:37, Ellafella said:

@Mucker1884 we actually played them in Nov 1979 away and beat them 2-0, so the cup reversal was a real turn around. It was Addison & Newman’s first season and it was not looking good. Prior to the Cup trip to Bristol, Langan had become unsettled and asked for a transfer which Addison refused and tore a piece off him in front of all the other players. Feelings were running high so when the Derby coach reached Bristol Addison dropped Langan off and told him he’d let his team down. Derby failed to turn up and we’re 4-0 down by H-t. 

Apart from the above, the fervour of the Derby fans stood out that day and it’s not waned since. 

that’s not quite the way I remember it.

I remember that Langan wanted a move and maybe didn’t want to be cup tied. He didn’t turn up so the coach left without him. Then he had a change of heart and made his own way to Bristol. When he turned up that’s when Addison tore him to bits. I seem to remember that Rioch stuck up for Langan and so he got sent packing too.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

that’s not quite the way I remember it.

I remember that Langan wanted a move and maybe didn’t want to be cup tied. He didn’t turn up so the coach left without him. Then he had a change of heart and made his own way to Bristol. When he turned up that’s when Addison tore him to bits. I seem to remember that Rioch stuck up for Langan and so he got sent packing too.

Thanks @RamNut; sounds very much like you’re more ITK on that.

Derby County v Preston North End. Don't know the date, apart from it being pre-1970 because Archie Gemmill was playing for Preston.

It was a mid-week cup- match, and the pitch was surrounded by piled up snow. I was in the Normanton End, right at the front, and had surreptitiously built up a pile of snowballs to throw at the ref - yes they were dodgy even in those days! A policeman slowly sidled over to where I was and gently placed his foot on each of my snowballs until there were none left, then looked down at my disappointed face, shook his head and walked away.

I have no idea of the sco0re, but I do remember that copper's boot!

7 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Derby County v Preston North End. Don't know the date, apart from it being pre-1970 because Archie Gemmill was playing for Preston.

It was a mid-week cup- match, and the pitch was surrounded by piled up snow. I was in the Normanton End, right at the front, and had surreptitiously built up a pile of snowballs to throw at the ref - yes they were dodgy even in those days! A policeman slowly sidled over to where I was and gently placed his foot on each of my snowballs until there were none left, then looked down at my disappointed face, shook his head and walked away.

I have no idea of the sco0re, but I do remember that copper's boot!

Good for that copper!

He saved you from a life of crime and years spent in and out of prison.

He probably retired as a chief constable and wrote an entire chapter about you in his autobiography!

Great oaks from little acorns grow!

Oh, we signed Archie in time for us to beat NF too!

Archived