Why Derby County Players Take The Knee

DarkFruitsRam7

15 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

I’m privileged in that I was born into the West, UK, in arguably the best time to be alive in human history. 

My race and gender has absolutely nothing to do with it, nor is it a stick in which people should feel free to beat me with. 

Like I said earlier, we’re all individuals and making ignorant sweeping statements on someone’s character based on their immovable characteristics is wrong. 

I think I've just stepped into some sort of parallel universe using McFly to make a a point but hey! ?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s honestly shocking that there’s still racists out there in the world. But it’s ignorant to think there aren’t, even if you’ve never witnessed it yourself.

I count myself very fortunate to not have to worry about being abused/mistreated because of the colour of my skin. And I suppose in some ways I’m quite lucky to have not witnessed anyone else be racially abused either, apart from a couple of moronic football fans shouting things from the crowd. But I realise that’s absolutely nothing like the full picture, and seeing players take the knee every week reminds me of that, and the fact that there’s still a lot of work to do. 

Unfortunately I have heard in recent seasons a fair few (maybe 5-7 times) Derby fans shouting abuse at opposing players bordering on racism.

Every club will have individuals - Millwall have it in their fans foundations.

38 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

I’m privileged in that I was born into the West, UK, in arguably the best time to be alive in human history. 

My race and gender has absolutely nothing to do with it, nor is it a stick in which people should feel free to beat me with. 

Like I said earlier, we’re all individuals and making ignorant sweeping statements on someone’s character based on their immovable characteristics is wrong. 

team america vomit GIF

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Unfortunately I have heard in recent seasons a fair few (maybe 5-7 times) Derby fans shouting abuse at opposing players bordering on racism.

Every club will have individuals - Millwall have it in their fans foundations.

I’ve heard people say it’s quite bad in the south stand - even to the point where they’ve had to move elsewhere. Don’t know how true that is, we don’t shout at all up in the west stand! 

Millwall is a vile club so this doesn’t surprise me at all. I’ve seen some of their fans when I went to the away game there a couple of years back - honestly, I suspect they’re racist and proud of it.

14 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

Literally straight from the UKBLM fundraiser

”abolishment of the police”, “dismantle capitalism”, “redistribute wealth” 

https://uk.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund

Yeah im not supporting that. 

I don't think UKBLM is the same organisation.

From the Black Lives Matter UK website: 

'Disclaimer: We are NEITHER associated or affiliated with @ukblm, recently registered (Sep 2020) with FCA under the name 'Black Liberation Movement UK' nor are will affiliated to BLM USA and or any other political group, party here in the UK or abroad.'

As with most organisations of this sort, they start to fracture and it's a right ball-acher to keep it together (anyone who has been a member of a political party or an internet forum will attest to this). People who believe they should be doing something differently or something extra will break away. There is someone who is part of BLM called Sasha Johnson who says stuff about making white people slaves, for example. Whether she really wants that or just says it to make right wing white people wet the bed is not really the point but players aren't taking the knee for that any more than they are kneeling to abolish the police.

You don't have to agree with every statement that comes from an organisation or an affiliate or something which has a similar name. That shouldn't stop you from agreeing with some of it.

16 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don't think UKBLM is the same organisation.

From the Black Lives Matter UK website: 

'Disclaimer: We are NEITHER associated or affiliated with @ukblm, recently registered (Sep 2020) with FCA under the name 'Black Liberation Movement UK' nor are will affiliated to BLM USA and or any other political group, party here in the UK or abroad.'

As with most organisations of this sort, they start to fracture and it's a right ball-acher to keep it together (anyone who has been a member of a political party or an internet forum will attest to this). People who believe they should be doing something differently or something extra will break away. There is someone who is part of BLM called Sasha Johnson who says stuff about making white people slaves, for example. Whether she really wants that or just says it to make right wing white people wet the bed is not really the point but players aren't taking the knee for that any more than they are kneeling to abolish the police.

You don't have to agree with every statement that comes from an organisation or an affiliate or something which has a similar name. That shouldn't stop you from agreeing with some of it.

3 hours ago, Srg said:

I am completely dumbfounded with Millwall fans. I, of course, know their history as a group. However, it’s still mind-boggling to me the overwhelming majority are so outwardly racist and don’t mind showing it. 

You expect to have a few racists, a few closeted racists, some just who are ignorant... as well as the opposite, such as the hyper-woke. Yet, their fan base is so overwhelmingly, overtly racist it’s crazy.

We can go on all day about what is and what isn’t considered racism, or whether or not BLM is a political movement (irrelevant when football’s slogan is now just “no room for racism” anyway). There’s a clear divide in generations and experiences that feed into all of this. All I would ever ask if people aren’t ignorant. Do your research from the right sources, listen to those that are directly effected and if you’ve got nothing constructive... just shut up. 

As for how long taking the knee should be happening. I don’t know. It’s a difficult one. The fight isn’t remotely over, and why should you stop raising awareness to avoid it being booed by racists? I don’t know the answer. 

It really is a tough one. In a sense the knee worked yesterday because it outed a certain rabble. For me we need a campaign that converts people .. how you can do that with such entrenched attitudes is hard. I think by seasons end the knee will have run it’s course, it’s preaching to the converted or those who were already onside by their very nature .. we need something else that inspires people or makes them question their own attitudes to continue the fight. 

if we are honest we know there have always been dyed in the wool bigots. Quite different from those that just behave or behaved in way that was mainstream in their formative years but enlightenment has shown, contained a shed load of  insensitivity and ignorance. ... Seriously guys, knee or no knee ... how do you get in to the heads of the KKK / the little Englanders .. the ones that carry prejudice in their hearts and think they are right ? 

I listened to an interview with Harry Kane the other day. He spoke about taking the knee and his continued support. He said that it might happen that a kid watching might ask their parents why players are doing this and this in itself would raise awareness in that kid and the kids they associate with and so on.

I found this argument quite compelling.

4 minutes ago, jono said:

It really is a tough one. In a sense the knee worked yesterday because it outed a certain rabble. For me we need a campaign that converts people .. how you can do that with such entrenched attitudes is hard. I think by seasons end the knee will have run it’s course, it’s preaching to the converted or those who were already onside by their very nature ..

Such as the FA, did we think they were converted? TBH it's not just about the 'fan on the street', it's about the people in positions of power - they need to be told that things must change. Then it might reach everyone.

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

The thing is it shouldn't be about politics

How on earth will you deal with racism if not through politics? Do you really think everyone will treat each other with kindness, respect and equality if they don't have to? The real world suggests that society needs rules and those rules are given to people via politics and/or religion and education.

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Perhaps to make it clear that it wasn't about racism, the Millwall supporters should have had banners saying things like 'I'm not racist but...' and 'Some of my best friends are black...'

I genuinely saw a Millwall fan on Facebook suggesting that their fans can't be racist because they liked Jimmy Abdou.

I personally find it quite sad that people would be unable to look past any politics of taking the knee and not just see a group of people making a small protest to raise awareness of their peers being discriminated against. 

I genuinely can’t really fathom quite how someone’s brain can see that and think they are supporting the defunding of the police or any such silliness.

Archived