Mel Morris

Gringo

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Now then, this is massive. I had no idea @Angry Ram has a personal vendetta against Mel Morris. This should be the story. Not the tantrum of the original post.

I want to know more. No, I NEED to know more. 

I’m more disappointed that I wasn’t singled out - I’m glad however I’m a nonentity to be honest.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Asheville Ram said:

So the consensus on here is the guy who rescued us from the awful American GSE conglomerate, invested £150 million of his own cash in the club and who until a few months ago was continuing to put in £3-4million a month to keep the club solvent should be pilloried and insulted mercilessly for the largesse he has shown, this to me is incredible.

Hardly anyone has shown any sympathy for him wiping out most of his personal fortune for trying to do the best for this football club on this forum, he blows £150million on the club, and the posters on here spend at the most £500/year on a season ticket, one 3,000th of the amount Mel has contributed, and yet feel they have the right to berate him wish him gone and worse.

I hope he does not read this forum because if I was him at this moment in time this is what I would do;

As the biggest creditor with my loans I would call them in immediately and as they could not be paid I would put the club into administration, and start to liquidate the assets to repay those loans.

I would have a fire sale of the first team and academy players, I would sell the academy property and land and I would sell the stadium and land, I would also sell the club as a division one outfit with a place in that division, maybe Beckham would be interested.

In total for all that I would get far more than the £60million allegedly being offered by the mythical new bidder, I would have saved many millions and I would not have to put up anymore with the vitriol from the posters on here who think that going to a game occasionally gives them the right to obnoxiously denigrate my investment and my career and totally trash my character.

Rant over.

Not 100 % your maths are spot on. The first team squad would be worth about a tenner each. The ground is worth as much as the land it sits on. If Derby aren’t in PP who do expect wants a 30,000 seater ground stuck in Derby? Same with the training ground, If Derby are not using it who will? If it goes into administration, he will have no say about asset disposals. The administrator does that. I would be shocked if he got anywhere near 60 million doing it your way. If he doesn’t want to waste even more of his money he needs to hope it gets sold as a going concern whilst still a championship side 

2 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

So the consensus on here is the guy who rescued us from the awful American GSE conglomerate, invested £150 million of his own cash in the club and who until a few months ago was continuing to put in £3-4million a month to keep the club solvent should be pilloried and insulted mercilessly for the largesse he has shown, this to me is incredible.

Hardly anyone has shown any sympathy for him wiping out most of his personal fortune for trying to do the best for this football club on this forum, he blows £150million on the club, and the posters on here spend at the most £500/year on a season ticket, one 3,000th of the amount Mel has contributed, and yet feel they have the right to berate him wish him gone and worse.

I hope he does not read this forum because if I was him at this moment in time this is what I would do;

As the biggest creditor with my loans I would call them in immediately and as they could not be paid I would put the club into administration, and start to liquidate the assets to repay those loans.

I would have a fire sale of the first team and academy players, I would sell the academy property and land and I would sell the stadium and land, I would also sell the club as a division one outfit with a place in that division, maybe Beckham would be interested.

In total for all that I would get far more than the £60million allegedly being offered by the mythical new bidder, I would have saved many millions and I would not have to put up anymore with the vitriol from the posters on here who think that going to a game occasionally gives them the right to obnoxiously denigrate my investment and my career and totally trash my character.

Rant over.

If you read the times richlist he’s worth more now than before he bought us fella. Whilst I don’t agree that he should get the flack he does. He did sign up to that as an owner. Also £500 when the average salary in Derbyshire is £27k per year... that’s a lot of money to many people especially as the cost of actually going is far more than the season ticket alone. And many of those will be paying for kids too. They have earned their right to moan if they feel the owners have made poor decisions with the club. 

I have plenty of respect for Mel, he’s put huge amounts of his own money into the club in the hope of getting the club back into the Prem.

Hes made mistakes but I think they are honest mistakes and you cannot argue that until the last year or so he hasn’t backed his managers!

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I have plenty of respect for Mel, he’s put huge amounts of his own money into the club in the hope of getting the club back into the Prem.

Hes made mistakes but I think they are honest mistakes and you cannot argue that until the last year or so he hasn’t backed his managers!

Meant to add people forget we’ve been within 90 mins of the Prem on two occasions during his reign. 

Fine margins and what might have been if things had worked out differently in one of those games!

Just a couple of points;

Anyone who buys into a football clubs with any thoughts of not losing money, is perhaps deluded or naive. I suspect Mr Morris is neither. 

Football club owners generally attract significant media interest and raising of profile, that they would not enjoy in their other businesses.

Most Rams supporters I'm certain, do genuinely appreciate the good things that the current owner has done. 

Mr Morris has indicated that he would like the club to be in the hands of owners who will look after the clubs interests. In reality, it's perhaps a promise he ought not make, as future events are likely to be totally beyond his control.

Totally agree with the original post. I've said before on here that most decisions he's made, certainly managerial appointments, have been backed by the majority, certainly on this forum. So I find it bizarre that some then talk about mistakes he's made.

I think we've been lucky to have him, as I did when Lionel Pickering invested millions of his own hard earned cash, before certain sections of so called supporters began to turn against him also.

I was appreciative when Bob came in and rescued us from the dreaded tax man, a couple of great seasons followed however the demise of the club that followed resulted in many fans questioning what position he had left the club in, including myself.

Not saying that Mel is like Bob in any way, however his running of the club was always going to be questioned given the way he has gone about it. No point in listing then as it's well documented, but he wasn't shy in promoting his way of running the club through the various channels and certainly wasn't an owner who took a back seat.

Fire sale, selling the assets, fine if that's what he wanted to do, let him get on with it, his prerogative, same as the fans have the same right to wonder how we have been left in the situation we are in now and be critical of the decisions that have been made along the way.

1 minute ago, BrainyRam said:

Normally I lurk rather than post on the forum but am compelled to say I completely agree with the sentiment of the original post. If he hadn't continued to finance us for the past few years we quite possibly wouldn't have a club at all. 

If he hadn't allowed the managers to overspend on transfers and wages we wouldn't have been so far in debt.

3 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

As far as I'm aware, Mel's only loans are to the holding company removed from DCFC, which have used such loans to purchase equity in DCFC. 

The debt isn't the club's, but the company that owns the club, so technically not DCFC's problem.

DCFC can't sell the stadium, as they don't own it.

Mel does, legally a separate entity. He could sell it of course, but I'd imagine a sitting tenant with a long lease would reduce its attractiveness to any investor.

I doubt he would achieve a better financial outcome, and it would go against everything he's ever said, and leave Derby in a far worse position than when he took over, whatever his feelings right now I don't see revenge against a minority of fans being high on his agenda.

Rant over.

I don’t feel the need to worry about MM or his finances. He’s been lucky. He has had the opportunity to buy and manage the club. He’s done some good things and some incredibly stupid things. But he’s a grown man. 

p.s. still waiting for my season ticket refund Melvyn. if you could give Stephen Pearce a nudge it would be appreciated. 

47 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Yeah you’re right I had in my head he had bought in before the QPR play off final but it was just after

He bought in the night before. Based on the middle price of a PL Derby and a Championship club.

Archived