Mel Morris

Gringo

So the consensus on here is the guy who rescued us from the awful American GSE conglomerate, invested £150 million of his own cash in the club and who until a few months ago was continuing to put in £3-4million a month to keep the club solvent should be pilloried and insulted mercilessly for the largesse he has shown, this to me is incredible.

Hardly anyone has shown any sympathy for him wiping out most of his personal fortune for trying to do the best for this football club on this forum, he blows £150million on the club, and the posters on here spend at the most £500/year on a season ticket, one 3,000th of the amount Mel has contributed, and yet feel they have the right to berate him wish him gone and worse.

I hope he does not read this forum because if I was him at this moment in time this is what I would do;

As the biggest creditor with my loans I would call them in immediately and as they could not be paid I would put the club into administration, and start to liquidate the assets to repay those loans.

I would have a fire sale of the first team and academy players, I would sell the academy property and land and I would sell the stadium and land, I would also sell the club as a division one outfit with a place in that division, maybe Beckham would be interested.

In total for all that I would get far more than the £60million allegedly being offered by the mythical new bidder, I would have saved many millions and I would not have to put up anymore with the vitriol from the posters on here who think that going to a game occasionally gives them the right to obnoxiously denigrate my investment and my career and totally trash my character.

Rant over.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Asheville Ram said:

So the consensus on here is the guy who rescued us from the awful American GSE conglomerate, invested £150 million of his own cash in the club and who until a few months ago was continuing to put in £3-4million a month to keep the club solvent should be pilloried and insulted mercilessly for the largesse he has shown, this to me is incredible.

Hardly anyone has shown any sympathy for him wiping out most of his personal fortune for trying to do the best for this football club on this forum, he blows £150million on the club, and the posters on here spend at the most £500/year on a season ticket, one 3,000th of the amount Mel has contributed, and yet feel they have the right to berate him wish him gone and worse.

I hope he does not read this forum because if I was him at this moment in time this is what I would do;

As the biggest creditor with my loans I would call them in immediately and as they could not be paid I would put the club into administration, and start to liquidate the assets to repay those loans.

I would have a fire sale of the first team and academy players, I would sell the academy property and land and I would sell the stadium and land, I would also sell the club as a division one outfit with a place in that division, maybe Beckham would be interested.

In total for all that I would get far more than the £60million allegedly being offered by the mythical new bidder, I would have saved many millions and I would not have to put up anymore with the vitriol from the posters on here who think that going to a game occasionally gives them the right to obnoxiously denigrate my investment and my career and totally trash my character.

Rant over.

I sense a little agitation going on here!

2 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Rant over.

Ay up Mel

He has done a great job trying to be successful at Derby county - he has paid the Bills - he has backed the managers and it has cost him big time and we are where we are, I am pleased it was a local man taking us on and I wish we had been more successful.

Mel’s heart has always been in the right place and I wish he’d seen the glory his commitment deserved. However there’s no getting away from the fact he’s made some bad business decisions and as harsh as it sounds I’m not bothered about his wealth. If he can no longer support us then I want him gone asap. 

I support Derby County not Mel Morris and whilst I appreciate what he’s done his legacy isn’t looking too great at the moment. The longer the takeover goes on for the more his hard work will be discredited. 

Of course if the Sheikh is the next 3 amigos we’ll be sending the bat signal out for Mel in no time. That’s football fans for you.

10 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Hardly anyone has shown any sympathy for him wiping out most of his personal fortune for trying to do the best for this football club on this forum, he blows £150million on the club...

? He's gonna get some back too. But to suggest he's wiped out most of his personal fortune... ?

9 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Rant over.

I’m glad that Mel is a true supporter of this football club and not spiteful like you’re coming across. Sure, fans are frustrated and angry, and some are venting their frustration at him. He’s a big boy, and obviously has the broad shoulders needed to become a successful millionaire businessman.

It’s not all Mel’s fault. He has to take some of the blame, a portion like everyone other stakeholder in this club. He’s done so many good things too, and I hope he carries on coming to games as a supporter and doesn’t feel he can’t come anymore.

I agree, I think he hasn't been a bad custodian of the club and has always tried to do the right thing, and out of his own pocket too.

Every manager he has ever sacked he has been constantly bombarded by fans telling him to make the change.

One day we're going to look back and realise that Mel did exactly what the fans asked him to do. Spent money when he was told to, held onto money when he was told to, sacked managers when he was told to, and even hired managers who played the style of football we wanted him to start playing

Not to say he was weak minded and just did what he was told to do, but just that as fans we wouldn't have done much differently.

11 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Rant over.

Firstly his financial support for the club has been immense, truly incredible, and for that I am grateful however there are so many holes in your post.

1) £3-4m a month. Our outgoings on the last accounts was a net loss of about £15m. So where do you get this £40m a year from?

2) Wiped out his personal fortune? £550m wiped out? Granted he probably has put £100m in, certainly including the stadium, but wiped out most of his personal fortune?!?!

3) Personal loans? I’m not sure he has any - the club has a £30m loan with MSD which subject to takeover will have a payment profile attached. He loses the stadium which he put up as collateral if there was defaults on payments - so yeah good plan that one.

4) He’s selling the club for a reported £60m? Of course he’s getting nowhere near what he has put in but let’s liquidate the club instead yeah?

5) Sell the players? Lol. To whom? And oh - the debtors would get money before Mel!

6) Sell the stadium? To himself again lol?

I agree with the principal which has been put across very poorly. He is bowing out and even in doing so, he’s doing it knowingly losing a lot of his investment especially if the stadium is changing hands as well.

He’s supported this club from day one. His regret may well be making changes too quickly but he’s done it with best intentions I’m sure.

Anyway good luck Mel and thank you for keeping the club going.

15 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Hardly anyone has shown any sympathy for him wiping out most of his personal fortune for trying to do the best for this football club

Sympathy ?

His choices, as were most managerial appointments and wasteful player contracts  

The Awful GSE consortium that got us closer to promotion than Mel ever has in my opinion. 

That said he should not be on the end of vitriol,  not that I've seen any but I don't read every thread. 

If you check the latest Sunday Times Rich List which is my second go to resource to establish how much people are worth, (number one is a Google search) I think that it said his wealth had remained at least unchanged according to their calculations.

I’m grateful for the financial support Mel has given the club, and without a doubt he has always tried to do the right thing and support his managers.

3 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

If you check the latest Sunday Times Rich List which is my second go to resource to establish how much people are worth, (number one is a Google search) I think that it said his wealth had remained at least unchanged according to their calculations.

I’m grateful for the financial support Mel has given the club, and without a doubt he has always tried to do the right thing and support his managers.

How much is @Davidworth ??

I agree he shouldn’t be pilloried or any personal abuse thrown. 
He took a gamble, he backed it hugely, and it didn’t come off. 
He is not blameless though, and under his watch we appear to have gone backwards financially, commercially, and on the playing side. 
That’s not a great legacy, and he’s not going to be applauded for it. 
But I fully agree he should be treated with respect for the intentions, and thanked for trying. 

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Firstly his financial support for the club has been immense, truly incredible, and for that I am grateful however there are so many holes in your post.

1) £3-4m a month. Our outgoings on the last accounts was a net loss of about £15m. So where do you get this £40m a year from?

Cash shortfall £3-4million for wages/month this year

2) Wiped out his personal fortune? £550m wiped out? Granted he probably has put £100m in, certainly including the stadium, but wiped out most of his personal fortune?!?! His Liquid assets

3) Personal loans? I’m not sure he has any - the club has a £30m loan with MSD which subject to takeover will have a payment profile attached. He loses the stadium which he put up as collateral if there was defaults on payments - so yeah good plan that one.

All the cash he put in will be loans for obvious tax reasons

4) He’s selling the club for a reported £60m? Of course he’s getting nowhere near what he has put in but let’s liquidate the club instead yeah? Yeah he Gets more money back

5) Sell the players? Lol. To whom? And oh - the debtors would get money before Mel! I cannot take anyone seriously who does not know the difference between a debtor and a creditor (clue creditors are owed money debtors owe you money) only creditors likely to be HMRC and they would not have seniority in an administration.

6) Sell the stadium? To himself again lol? 

I agree with the principal which has been put across very poorly. He is bowing out and even in doing so, he’s doing it knowingly losing a lot of his investment especially if the stadium is changing hands as well.

He’s supported this club from day one. His regret may well be making changes too quickly but he’s done it with best intentions I’m sure.

Anyway good luck Mel and thank you for keeping the club going.

23 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Rant over.

His fortune is still intact.  

You could argue he bought the best train set in the shop because he could. Fair enough  

But he’s  broke it. And wants someone else to fix it. 

I’ve  no problem with Mel as such because he has always seemed to have the best of intentions but he has made some very poor decisions. 

Archived