Mel Morris

Gringo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Just a quick fact check for everyone, so we can proceed from a position of accuracy:

Mel Morris was not the owner of Derby County in the 2013-14 season that ended in defeat to QPR at Wembley.

I think this is a mistake a lot of people make. They will refer to the awful GSE yet they, slowly, put us on a solid foundation with a team capable of challenging. 

They forget Mel wasn't owner until September 2015 although he did have an increasing amount of influence throughout the 14/15 season which culminated in him making the decision to sack Mac.

You could argue we got as close under Mel when Frank got us to Wembley but for me 13/14 was a much better squad, we came 3rd over Frank's 6th. 

I do feel a bit sorry for Mel . I think a lot of people have viewed him as a “soft touch”. No loyalty from his managers or the likes of Sam Rush. He has never been able to change things at the EFL, they wouldn’t listen to him. Throw in loads of mistakes and you end up bottom of the league.

35 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I do feel a bit sorry for Mel . I think a lot of people have viewed him as a “soft touch”. No loyalty from his managers or the likes of Sam Rush. He has never been able to change things at the EFL, they wouldn’t listen to him. Throw in loads of mistakes and you end up bottom of the league.

Not sure why Sam Rush always gets the blame here. He worked for Mels company and those decisions and spends would have been signed off at board level. Okay the Wasserman connection is a worry but surely questions were asked at board meetings. If not, why not. Ultimately it’s down to Morris, sorry if that’s it is not popular view but these appointments were his decisions. 

37 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Unless Rush has been found to have been embezzling money from the club which he hasn't then unfortunately Morris bears the responsibility for all of his alleged mishandling of the clubs finances regards transfer fees and contracts.

If Morris allowed Rush carte blanche to operate without requiring any discussion from himself or if he was indeed party to it either way Morris is the person at fault.

Archived