Mel Morris

Gringo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

So the consensus on here is the guy who rescued us from the awful American GSE conglomerate, invested £150 million of his own cash in the club and who until a few months ago was continuing to put in £3-4million a month to keep the club solvent should be pilloried and insulted mercilessly for the largesse he has shown, this to me is incredible.

Hardly anyone has shown any sympathy for him wiping out most of his personal fortune for trying to do the best for this football club on this forum, he blows £150million on the club, and the posters on here spend at the most £500/year on a season ticket, one 3,000th of the amount Mel has contributed, and yet feel they have the right to berate him wish him gone and worse.

I hope he does not read this forum because if I was him at this moment in time this is what I would do;

As the biggest creditor with my loans I would call them in immediately and as they could not be paid I would put the club into administration, and start to liquidate the assets to repay those loans.

I would have a fire sale of the first team and academy players, I would sell the academy property and land and I would sell the stadium and land, I would also sell the club as a division one outfit with a place in that division, maybe Beckham would be interested.

In total for all that I would get far more than the £60million allegedly being offered by the mythical new bidder, I would have saved many millions and I would not have to put up anymore with the vitriol from the posters on here who think that going to a game occasionally gives them the right to obnoxiously denigrate my investment and my career and totally trash my character.

Rant over.

Confused.  If it all works out then ll the plaudits are deserved.  It hasn’t, we are bottom with a mountain to climb, don’t own our ground, still facing a potential penalty for pushing the financial rules, have a threadbare squad and may have another crop of players to dispose of at incredible cost.  I think you are expecting lot for all this to be forgotten,  I am sad because t was a nice dream but it has turned into a bad reality.

16 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

So the consensus on here is the guy who rescued us from the awful American GSE conglomerate, invested £150 million of his own cash in the club and who until a few months ago was continuing to put in £3-4million a month to keep the club solvent should be pilloried and insulted mercilessly for the largesse he has shown, this to me is incredible.

Hardly anyone has shown any sympathy for him wiping out most of his personal fortune for trying to do the best for this football club on this forum, he blows £150million on the club, and the posters on here spend at the most £500/year on a season ticket, one 3,000th of the amount Mel has contributed, and yet feel they have the right to berate him wish him gone and worse.

I hope he does not read this forum because if I was him at this moment in time this is what I would do;

As the biggest creditor with my loans I would call them in immediately and as they could not be paid I would put the club into administration, and start to liquidate the assets to repay those loans.

I would have a fire sale of the first team and academy players, I would sell the academy property and land and I would sell the stadium and land, I would also sell the club as a division one outfit with a place in that division, maybe Beckham would be interested.

In total for all that I would get far more than the £60million allegedly being offered by the mythical new bidder, I would have saved many millions and I would not have to put up anymore with the vitriol from the posters on here who think that going to a game occasionally gives them the right to obnoxiously denigrate my investment and my career and totally trash my character.

Rant over.

You make a reasonable point regarding the fact that there have been some unnecessarily unsavoury comments towards Mel in recent weeks. He doesn’t deserve that, and he has my sympathy. But he would be foolish to not think that most football fans are fickle, and a small few quite poisonous.

Mel deserves no sympathy for losing out with his investment. You win some/you lose some. Many have seen their investments go down recently through no fault of their own. Mel had full control of his investment, but just managed it very badly.

Fortunately I think Mel to be a bigger man than you. Whilst you might petulantly go for a fire sale at this point on a “duck you’ basis, I hope he is able to conclude a deal that means he can recover some of his investment, and leaves the club in a good stable position with competent new owners. I would remind you that when Mel took over the club from GSC it was debt free (or near as damn) and it owned the stadium. I trust the deal he is doing now restores that balance.

Just now, Asheville Ram said:

They employed Sam Rush, they got Nigel Clough to reduce the wage bill by 60%, they invested nothing.

Great owners.....

When have we looked more like being promoted since Mel took over?

For anyone who’s worth what Mels worth, a football club is a hobby they can afford.

A bit like your boss buying a £5k push bike and all the lycra because he can, even though he can’t really ride it very well or for long. And then when he’s bored he’ll sell it (in mint condition*).

I have more respect for him when he’s low key. The moment I hear he’s on the wind up or TalkSPORT I just think he’s embarrassing.

*Derby County comes without pedals, handlebars or chain.

41 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Firstly his financial support for the club has been immense, truly incredible, and for that I am grateful however there are so many holes in your post.

1) £3-4m a month. Our outgoings on the last accounts was a net loss of about £15m. So where do you get this £40m a year from?

2) Wiped out his personal fortune? £550m wiped out? Granted he probably has put £100m in, certainly including the stadium, but wiped out most of his personal fortune?!?!

3) Personal loans? I’m not sure he has any - the club has a £30m loan with MSD which subject to takeover will have a payment profile attached. He loses the stadium which he put up as collateral if there was defaults on payments - so yeah good plan that one.

4) He’s selling the club for a reported £60m? Of course he’s getting nowhere near what he has put in but let’s liquidate the club instead yeah?

5) Sell the players? Lol. To whom? And oh - the debtors would get money before Mel!

6) Sell the stadium? To himself again lol?

I agree with the principal which has been put across very poorly. He is bowing out and even in doing so, he’s doing it knowingly losing a lot of his investment especially if the stadium is changing hands as well.

He’s supported this club from day one. His regret may well be making changes too quickly but he’s done it with best intentions I’m sure.

Anyway good luck Mel and thank you for keeping the club going.

Brilliant response!

1 hour ago, Asheville Ram said:

Rant over.

You would be a bit of a plank then. 

1 hour ago, Asheville Ram said:

Rant over.

I wouldn't say it is the consensus at all, its just that those who like to moan post more regulary so you read their posts more.

Id say there are a lot of us who are disappointed for MM more than anything but also realise a lot of our problems fall at his door.

He may be putting £3m to £4m in a month (not sure where you get that figure from) but, if he is, that is a situation of his own making.

You say about calling all of his loans in but when the last accounts were filed we actually owed him £0 and his company owed us approximately £80m.

So you wouldn't swap where we are under mel now which is where he has taken us for where we were under GSE when they left?‍♂️

We'd Just lost a playoff final playing some of the best football we'd seen & were pretty decently run with the wage bill being cut. To now, bottom of the league, on the brink of FFP, in court battles with the league, no stadium & a massive circus 

26 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

They employed Sam Rush, they got Nigel Clough to reduce the wage bill by 60%, they invested nothing.

Great owners.....

Give it a rest now Mel we know your selling and want out. Ps please choose a decent manager this time if you had chose one first time around you wouldn't have had to pay about 40 million out in sackings. One quick question actually my house is worth 140k but should in your opinion should I put it on for about 300k need some advice 

FWIW, I said way before I knew this season would be painful that it's sad that Mel's legacy will probably be dumping McClaren TWICE, and killing whatever feelgood factor was generated and substituting it for "fan entitlement". It wasn't by design, but by pandering to the "fans" demand of a "Plan B" and the fans being all insecure and jealous of Newcastle, we now have no manager and no plan A.

Mel deserves to have left us mid-table in the PL. Whatever it feels like now, over the last 5 years, we, as fans have had plenty of enjoyment and amusement. 

It wasn't that long ago that Mel was living "rent-free" in <insert name>'s head, and we were loving it. 

He deserves some respect, and a lot of it. I still, regardless of what anyone says here, thought we were better equipped when Sam Rush was making the decisions, he seemed to understand it all without emotiion.

3 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Your 4 year old personal vendetta against Mel Morris is well known, better a plank than bitter and twisted individual

Could just see what was in front of my eyes. Nothing personal, never met the geezer. Still he threw loads of money at it. Messiah then, sainted. Stupidity?

Still the post was about what YOU would do, which was very spit the dummy childish  

37 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Great owners.....

Factually incorrect.

They invested approx £7m per year.

Not in the same league as Mel, it's true - but significant nonetheless.  Certainly not nothing. 

13 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

So you wouldn't swap where we are under mel now which is where he has taken us for where we were under GSE when they left?‍♂️

We'd Just lost a playoff final playing some of the best football we'd seen & were pretty decently run with the wage bill being cut. To now, bottom of the league, on the brink of FFP, in court battles with the league, no stadium & a massive circus 

I do find it funny how opinions change as the years go by.

My recollection of the time is that the vocal majority were very unhappy with GSE and their reluctance to spend more than a 'Barker type fee'.

I think they had also made it known that they were no longer wanting to be covering our annual losses of circa £10m.

Would we have kicked on following our Wembley loss?

I seem to remember MM handing out new contracts to a few players to keep them at DCFC, would GSE have been willing to do that? Highly unlikely given what they had been saying.

11 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Your 4 year old personal vendetta against Mel Morris is well known, better a plank than bitter and twisted individual

Now then, this is massive. I had no idea @Angry Ram has a personal vendetta against Mel Morris. This should be the story. Not the tantrum of the original post.

I want to know more. No, I NEED to know more. 

Archived