Middlesbrough v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Chris_Martin

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Feel bad for him to be honest, lovely bloke.

Turned down a new Groningen deal to come here too.

If I was MTW I'd be on the first plane back to Holland in January. He ain't gonna play, thankfully he's still got Roos here who he can speak with if he feels uncomfortable.

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Were either save ones you wouldn't expect a competent keeper to make?

It's not a test if you're expected to save it.

Their goals weren't exactly brilliant. 3rd included, Clarke basically showed him the inside and threw himself ineffectively on the floor. 

I'd take two scrappy goals. If we did that to Boro at home, we wouldn't be saying we dominated them or outclassed them, etc. Just did the simple things. 

6 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Their goals weren't exactly brilliant. 3rd included, Clarke basically showed him the inside and threw himself ineffectively on the floor. 

I'd take two scrappy goals. If we did that to Boro at home, we wouldn't be saying we dominated them or outclassed them, etc. Just did the simple things. 

But we haven't done that at home, or away, to anyone.

One very lucky win Vs Norwich, and a whole heap of rubbish before and since, home and away.

We've barely looked like one scrappy goal, nevermind the nirvana of two.

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

But we haven't done that at home, or away, to anyone.

One very lucky win Vs Norwich, and a whole heap of rubbish before and since, home and away.

We've barely looked like one scrappy goal, nevermind the nirvana of two.

I know, we desperately need to score goals like Boro did against us tonight. We have enough of the ball to do it. 

My reflection on that game is for 15-20 minutes we had it right! Rooney went up top we had Jozwiak and Lawrence pulling them out wide and Knight and Sibley we’re running in behind. It looked really good and We even go in one on one with Sibley. Couple half chances I thought yeah were getting back into this! 
Then 66 minutes in I think... CKR and Holmes come on, when I saw them I thought well were trying to mix it up and pose them new problems I get it, but we completely changed the system... which seemed to be flowing pretty well. Why? 
If they had brought on CKR for Rooney and Holmes for Knight I could have understood it, they wanted more legs or something. But to change the system 3 x in one game...? Scandalous 2/3 goal came from players not having a Scooby who was marking who or where they were playing. I blame Liam R today, he was making those calls and those subs. He might be a good pundit and have a decent knowledge of the game but his coaching and management skills are dreadful. Get him out of the club. Football is a basic game and he’s trying to over do it. 

As for starting the game 4231... they said before the game we need more goals! We played 2 players at CDM. 

next game start with the side we started the 2nd half with! 

Rooney with Joz Lawrence knight and Sibley running off him will be exciting, I’d like to see beliek in the team too maybe for Bird or in as CB but let’s get at them. 

1 minute ago, DCFC27 said:

My reflection on that game is for 15-20 minutes we had it right! Rooney went up top we had Jozwiak and Lawrence pulling them out wide and Knight and Sibley we’re running in behind. It looked really good and We even go in one on one with Sibley. Couple half chances I thought yeah were getting back into this! 
Then 66 minutes in I think... CKR and Holmes come on, when I saw them I thought well were trying to mix it up and pose them new problems I get it, but we completely changed the system... which seemed to be flowing pretty well. Why? 
If they had brought on CKR for Rooney and Holmes for Knight I could have understood it, they wanted more legs or something. But to change the system 3 x in one game...? Scandalous 2/3 goal came from players not having a Scooby who was marking who or where they were playing. I blame Liam R today, he was making those calls and those subs. He might be a good pundit and have a decent knowledge of the game but his coaching and management skills are dreadful. Get him out of the club. Football is a basic game and he’s trying to over do it. 

As for starting the game 4231... they said before the game we need more goals! We played 2 players at CDM. 

next game start with the side we started the 2nd half with! 

Rooney with Joz Lawrence knight and Sibley running off him will be exciting, I’d like to see beliek in the team too maybe for Bird or in as CB but let’s get at them. 

Bielik for Wisdom. 

9 minutes ago, Rev said:

Enough ball, not enough brains or courage, perhaps?

Both and then some. Lack of brains illustrated by Lawrence and his decision making. Forwards committing fouls outside our box. Forwards and LB+RB not playing for a corner. Fouling opponents when they are stuck in the corner and there only way out us luck, being fouled or kicking it out of touch. 

Courage to run at players and get them to commit. Courage to get a knock doing so. Courage to run into the open space in front of them. For example Andre Wisdom or Clarke should take the ball as far as they can safe in the knowledge that a team mate has taken up the position they've just left. 

Courage to trust in your defenders. Classic McClaren 2 men on the half way line when defending a corner or freekick. 

Looking for fouls outside the opponent's box. Making a hopeless attempted entry into the box instead of always looking for the perfect pass or space to run in to. 

Same with crosses. Just get the ball in the box, low and fast or head height. Responsibility of team mates to meet the cross, Instead of it coming to them. 

Our defending should be like Liverpool's. Forward 3 all back, about 40 yards from our goal, facing the opponent's. We turn over possession, we immediately counter attack and have the space too. Likely 3 on 3 or 3 on 4. If they struggle to break through the midfield and defensive wall and look to retain possession, put them on the backdfoot. Forward three snatch it off them or force a bad pass or force them back to their keeper. 

Greater interplay. Passing to someone and looking for a progressive one-two. Sibley the best example we have if this. Not a Rooney type deal of standing 5 yards away from Bird or Knight or the CB's, on his heels expecting a pointless pass. 

Honestly all of this isn't difficult. It doesn't take months of training. It doesn't take peak fitness levels. It's about doing the right thing in that moment. For all of a few seconds. Over the course of the game it all adds up. 

Early evening, I thought about going on to the Middlesbrough website, and seeing if I could purchase a webcast of the match.

And then I got distracted with work.

So, past midnight, I have just sat down with a sandwich, and thought ... instead of looking up the result, I'll log on to the forum.

From what I can tell, we lost by at least 3-nil.

I can also tell that I should be glad that I didn't buy a match subscription, and watch the match.

PS. And I feel sorry for whoever it was who seemed to miss the probable irony about the concept of Mel having to pay the new owners in order to hand over the club! (Or, if I got the wrong end of the stick, to please send some pity my way!)

29 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Both and then some. Lack of brains illustrated by Lawrence and his decision making. Forwards committing fouls outside our box. Forwards and LB+RB not playing for a corner. Fouling opponents when they are stuck in the corner and there only way out us luck, being fouled or kicking it out of touch. 

Courage to run at players and get them to commit. Courage to get a knock doing so. Courage to run into the open space in front of them. For example Andre Wisdom or Clarke should take the ball as far as they can safe in the knowledge that a team mate has taken up the position they've just left. 

Courage to trust in your defenders. Classic McClaren 2 men on the half way line when defending a corner or freekick. 

Looking for fouls outside the opponent's box. Making a hopeless attempted entry into the box instead of always looking for the perfect pass or space to run in to. 

Same with crosses. Just get the ball in the box, low and fast or head height. Responsibility of team mates to meet the cross, Instead of it coming to them. 

Our defending should be like Liverpool's. Forward 3 all back, about 40 yards from our goal, facing the opponent's. We turn over possession, we immediately counter attack and have the space too. Likely 3 on 3 or 3 on 4. If they struggle to break through the midfield and defensive wall and look to retain possession, put them on the backdfoot. Forward three snatch it off them or force a bad pass or force them back to their keeper. 

Greater interplay. Passing to someone and looking for a progressive one-two. Sibley the best example we have if this. Not a Rooney type deal of standing 5 yards away from Bird or Knight or the CB's, on his heels expecting a pointless pass. 

Honestly all of this isn't difficult. It doesn't take months of training. It doesn't take peak fitness levels. It's about doing the right thing in that moment. For all of a few seconds. Over the course of the game it all adds up. 

Do us a favour and get your CV in to PP quick.

Agree Rooney seemed more of a hinderance than a help. Team's confidence understandably shot to pieces and I think we saw it as soon as Boro scored first half heads went down after we'd been looking alright. I know first and foremost we need to start scoring but I thought defensively last night we were actually embarassing: Wisdom flicking the ball on to the back post from an uncontested header and second one where they just walked through with no CBs in sight. Lawrence also needs to be dropped lost the ball too much and so predictable cutting back onto his right when there's no need to... whoever's in charge has got a big job on their hands

25 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Unless somebody at the club has got the balls to tell Wayne at the club that he cant do it on the pitch anymore  (he does not seem to see it himself) we wont get out of this. We cant carry players no matter how big/famous they are. Bird did ok he needs Shinny or Bielik next to him

In these days of football stats surely Rooney gets sat down with his, like all the other players do after each match? 

I suspect they were quite good after the BC game but last night they would have been appalling. He can't play two matches so close together.

I am not expecting him to start on Saturday. Or Lawrence, for that matter.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Balls given away

20 - Byrne
18 - Rooney
12 - Jozwiak, Bird
10 - Wisdom
9 - Whittaker
8 - Buchanan
7 - Marshall, Clarke, Lawrence, Knight
6 - Kazim, Sibley
4 - Waghorn, Holmes

A ball given away = bad pass, dispossessed or bad control

Some of those will have been from fewer touches than others? What are the percentages?

Archived