Middlesbrough v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Chris_Martin

9 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Then he goes up front and Waghorn comes off. No improvement. Slow.

No, there was definite improvement. We looked threatening, he played the hold up role well. Then just as we looked like we might do something Holmes & Richards were bought on and it changed to chaos!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Balls given away

20 - Byrne
18 - Rooney
12 - Jozwiak, Bird
10 - Wisdom
9 - Whittaker
8 - Buchanan
7 - Marshall, Clarke, Lawrence, Knight
6 - Kazim, Sibley
4 - Waghorn, Holmes

A ball given away = bad pass, dispossessed or bad control

Gven Rooney's USP is square balls across the back 4 and floated delivery out to someone in space on the wing, that is particularly shocking.

Knight in a more advanced position was less than half as wasteful.

Not sure where you got those stats from but would be interesting to get touches per match and overlay those figures also. Lawrence for instance only lost it 7 times but barely touched the ball, whereas Knight always looked to get on the ball.

If everyone had young Jason Knight's attitude and effort that he showed last night we would not be in such a mess, I actually think Byrne has been good since he's arrived and the only players that would survive for next game would be Marshall,Byrne,Buchanan,Clarke,Knight,Sibley and maybe Wisdom , I'd also bring back Shinnie and Beilik and give JHI or Stretton a chance ..at least they would give it 100 per cent...Lawrence was truely woeful last night as was Rooney

Just now, AGR said:

Rosenior coming out and saying last night was a watershed moment. Why wasn't Blackburn a watershed moment? Or QPR? Or Barnsley?

Just get rid of the tit he hasn’t got a clue

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

Some of those will have been from fewer touches than others? What are the percentages?

From best to worst:

1. Clarke - 10% (72 touches)
  2. Knight - 12% (60 touches)
  3. Marshall - 14% (50 touches)
  4. Bird - 17% (72 touches)
  5. Wisdom - 17% (59 touches)
  6. Buchanan - 19% (43 touches)
  7. Lawrence - 20% (35 touches)
  8. Sibley - 22% (27 touches)
  9. Rooney - 23% (79 touches)
  10. Byrne - 24% (82 touches)
  11. Waghorn - 33% (12 touches)
  12. Kazim - 38% (16 touches)
  13. Jozwiak - 41% (29 touches)
  14. Holmes - 44% (9 touches)
  15. Whittaker - 60% (15 touches)

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Balls given away

20 - Byrne
18 - Rooney
12 - Jozwiak, Bird
10 - Wisdom
9 - Whittaker
8 - Buchanan
7 - Marshall, Clarke, Lawrence, Knight
6 - Kazim, Sibley
4 - Waghorn, Holmes

Odd really because I thought Byrne had a decent game, always looked to get forward.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

From best to worst:

1. Clarke - 10% (72 touches)
  2. Knight - 12% (60 touches)
  3. Marshall - 14% (50 touches)
  4. Bird - 17% (72 touches)
  5. Wisdom - 17% (59 touches)
  6. Buchanan - 19% (43 touches)
  7. Lawrence - 20% (35 touches)
  8. Sibley - 22% (27 touches)
  9. Rooney - 23% (79 touches)
  10. Byrne - 24% (82 touches)
  11. Waghorn - 33% (12 touches)
  12. Kazim - 38% (16 touches)
  13. Jozwiak - 41% (29 touches)
  14. Holmes - 44% (9 touches)
  15. Whittaker - 60% (15 touches)

Thank you - I knew you'd have the stats. ?

Obviously not all passes are the same as there is a greater amount of risk in some areas than others but they make interesting reading.

Reflects very well on Jason Knight.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But I thought Clarke looked like a bunny in the headlights and I held my breath every time he was on the ball! So those stats don't tell the real story I think.

I think Clarke is quite composed on the ball the fright comes from having no one to pass to when he goes forward because of lack of intelligent movement 

48 minutes ago, S8TY said:

If everyone had young Jason Knight's attitude and effort that he showed last night we would not be in such a mess, I actually think Byrne has been good since he's arrived and the only players that would survive for next game would be Marshall,Byrne,Buchanan,Clarke,Knight,Sibley and maybe Wisdom , I'd also bring back Shinnie and Beilik and give JHI or Stretton a chance ..at least they would give it 100 per cent...Lawrence was truely woeful last night as was Rooney

Agree about Lawerence and Rooney but I think Byrne has progressively got worse each game, I thought he was a woeful as anybody last night. I’m not writing the guy off and it might be a confidence thing but he’s miles behind what Bogle looked as a player for me. 

2 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Agree about Lawerence and Rooney but I think Byrne has progressively got worse each game, I thought he was a woeful as anybody last night. I’m not writing the guy off and it might be a confidence thing but he’s miles behind what Bogle looked as a player for me. 

He started well but has definitely had a dip in form.

2 minutes ago, leroyoftherovers said:

I think Clarke is quite composed on the ball the fright comes from having no one to pass to when he goes forward because of lack of intelligent movement 

I lost count the number of times a player (any player) dribbled forward with the ball and all other Derby players on the pitch ran as far away as possible to the one on the ball. Sibley, Knight and Jozwiak all got tackled a couple of times as a result as they had no one to pass to. Others such as Clarke had to turn around and pass it back to one of those in defence.

3 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Byrne seems to cross the ball thinking he has Kieffer up front. Instead, he's crossing it to Lawrence, Jozwiak or Knight who are never going to win anything in the air against 6'2"+ CBs.

2 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

no chance...Bogle was defensively poor and massively overrated...Byrne was to blame for second goal but only because he was out of position during previous attack, the last ditch tackle in the six yard box in the second half against Bristol showed he's switched on unlike Bogle who was constantly getting beaten at the far post...check out wembley, Forest away, charlton away as examples ...Buchanan for me will be a top top player though although had a difficult time last night he looks a player

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I lost count the number of times a player (any player) dribbled forward with the ball and all other Derby players on the pitch ran as far away as possible to the one on the ball. Sibley, Knight and Jozwiak all got tackled a couple of times as a result as they had no one to pass to. Others such as Clarke had to turn around and pass it back to one of those in defence.

Agreed we don't create any easy chances, good footballers find space

The mistakes leading to goals are unforgivable at the moment. Laziness and complacency by Lawrence and Rooney for 2 goals. Lawrence’s mistake was when we were on the attack as well. Really poor. We at least looked a bit more of a threat on their goal. Not lots of clear cut chances but we just aren’t getting the luck plus poor finishing. Sibley should have buried it, Bird was very close and we had a few other times we had half chances. 
Think ultimately, some players are under performing and we look disjointed and devoid of confidence. We just need some rub of the green from somewhere and I think our fortunes will turn, we haven’t looked out of it completely in most of the matches which is weird because we are on such a low points total. We are in a relegation battle but if we can get the formula to score some goals, we will be fine . Until then, we need to not get cut adrift. We could have a decade of league 1 football or more. 

Archived