Middlesbrough v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Chris_Martin

I don’t care about the talent and what they “can do” - I want to see 2 things that are lacking in this set up, on and off the pitch.... desire and balls. We currently have a team full of lacking that..... it ain’t confidence, it’s fight, fight and more fight....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go with the same line up but swap Holmes for Jozwiak. 
Thought most of it was good this week but just lacked some good decision making. For example we had carved out a really good chance when Holmes shot from 20 yards I think it was Byrne to the right of him in loads of space to square it but he shot. Quite often I found Bird had a forward pass on first time and decided to play safe take a touch and play it back. For me it’s a confidence thing at the moment. If we pick up the first goal of a game early on then it may be the lift we need to start believing. 
We have a decent side but without some confidence and more appetite to take a risk on the ball we’re going to carry on like this. 

48 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Barcelona, Roma, Spain, Chelsea, Liverpool..

Many sides have played with a false 9 and had great success. 

We have the players to suit the system. 

We are not Barca, Roma, Spain, Chelsea or Liverpool. To think we have the players to make this successful is laughable at best 

8 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

We are not Barca, Roma, Spain, Chelsea or Liverpool. To think we have the players to make this successful is laughable at best 

We aren't trying to emulate that level of success. The players we have are suited to the style.

Jozwiak, Sibley, Whitiker and Lawrence all good at winning the ball back and pressing.

Good at finishing. +Ibe and Waghorn (not one on one)

Can shoot from outside the box.

Can take players on. 

A few (Sibley and Jozwiak) are good at playing between the lines. 

Bielik and Bird with the control in the middle and passing range. Knight being the total football player. 

How shall we setup to try and score goals with the players we have at our disposal? 

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I want to see a different striker, to give the midfield hope! ? 

JHL did more in two minutes - should have had a penno, he got in front of the defender - than Waghorn did all game. Or give Stretton a go he cannot be worse than Waghorn either.

Re Stretton on the Radio yesterday Eric Steele and Dawes were saying the coaches told them that Stretton is nowhere near ready and a long way from being considered for first team selection. 

10 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Re Stretton on the Radio yesterday Eric Steele and Dawes were saying the coaches told them that Stretton is nowhere near ready and a long way from being considered for first team selection. 

Ta. Fair enough, he looks a prospect but when he's ready. Trialist for me then, got in the box and should have had a penno.

27 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

We aren't trying to emulate that level of success. The players we have are suited to the style.

Jozwiak, Sibley, Whitiker and Lawrence all good at winning the ball back and pressing.

Good at finishing. +Ibe and Waghorn (not one on one)

Can shoot from outside the box.

Can take players on. 

A few (Sibley and Jozwiak) are good at playing between the lines. 

Bielik and Bird with the control in the middle and passing range. Knight being the total football player. 

How shall we setup to try and score goals with the players we have at our disposal? 

Scrap 433 and play 2 up front unfortunately with the Squad we have it’ll have to be Waghorn and Colin with Duncan and Stretton to replace them. Then in Jan go and get to CFs if we’ve got any cash that is 

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Scrap 433 and play 2 up front unfortunately with the Squad we have it’ll have to be Waghorn and Colin with Duncan and Stretton to replace them. Then in Jan go and get to CFs if we’ve got any cash that is 

I'll meet you halfway. I think in some games we must start this way. 

The best thing that has happened to us right now is these additional subs. It's a lifeline for us. It can allow us to start how I describe or as you have. But at halftime or after 60 minutes, switch to the different system with the different players. 

Given what was said about changing of formation and the lineup in the Rosenior and Rooney press conference I don’t see us playing anything other than 4-2-3-1.

JHI

Jozwiak Lawrence Waghorn

Rooney Bird

Buchanan Clarke Davies Byrne

Marshall

Wouldn’t go with that formation myself, Warnock’s teams are difficult to break down, when we’re struggling to score goals this is not the game we need now. 

Where’s Knight in this team? Well that’s the issue, I don’t see this formation suiting him at all, he’s not a holding midfielder, not a number 10 and definitely isn’t a wide player either.

To get the best out of Knight which we should be doing, you need to be looking at 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

The question is, should we be looking to build a team around him? To that I would say why not, he’s young and been the standout bright spark in this team when the rest have crumbled. 

Defensively yesterday, apart from the goal I think we handled pretty much everything with ease. Playing an old school manager in Warnock, I’d throw in the old school head and kick it Davies in there. 

Can see us dominating possession once again but a low scoring game, definitely give JHI a shot, won’t have his confidence knocked like the others, fresh from the academy where he couldn’t stop scoring.

Masrshall

Byrne

Wisdom

Clarke

Buchanan 

Rooney 

knight

Bird

Jozwaik

JHI

Waghorn

Waghorn out wide his better position , give JHI a chance up top, we need goals he may provide them, knight back in CM.

Drop Lawrence and Holmes both been awful in the final third 

5 minutes ago, David said:

Given what was said about changing of formation and the lineup in the Rosenior and Rooney press conference I don’t see us playing anything other than 4-2-3-1.

JHI

Jozwiak Lawrence Waghorn

Rooney Bird

Buchanan Clarke Davies Byrne

Marshall

Wouldn’t go with that formation myself, Warnock’s teams are difficult to break down, when we’re struggling to score goals this is not the game we need now. 

Where’s Knight in this team? Well that’s the issue, I don’t see this formation suiting him at all, he’s not a holding midfielder, not a number 10 and definitely isn’t a wide player either.

To get the best out of Knight which we should be doing, you need to be looking at 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

The question is, should we be looking to build a team around him? To that I would say why not, he’s young and been the standout bright spark in this team when the rest have crumbled. 

Defensively yesterday, apart from the goal I think we handled pretty much everything with ease. Playing an old school manager in Warnock, I’d throw in the old school head and kick it Davies in there. 

Can see us dominating possession once again but a low scoring game, definitely give JHI a shot, won’t have his confidence knocked like the others, fresh from the academy where he couldn’t stop scoring.

The two highlighted points are why we should stick with Wisdom. We're struggling to create and at least Wisdom can play the odd good ball through the gaps to our forward line. We'd be able to play a high line (preventing the need for a 'head it, kick it' defender), and rely on Wisdom's pace to recover from balls over the top.

Boro have a bit of a lump up top, with 3 quick attacking players feeding off him. I think we can get away with Wisdom at CB for this one.

Archived