Middlesbrough v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Chris_Martin

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall

Byrne 

Clarke 

Wiz

Buchanan 

Beliek 

Knight 

Sibley 

Lawrence 

Rooney 

Jozwiak

If we’re playing 433 play Rooney up top. Waggy struggles to bring people into play and Rooney is smart enough to do it with runners around him, Cocu played him there earlier in the season and he looked okay there. Get Beliek back in for a bit of steele in the middle of the park and then Sibley and Knight to run all day long. Lots of pace and energy in that side. 

Marshall 

Byrne    Wisdom    Clarke      Buchanan

Bird

Knight                 Sibley   
Waghorn            JHI                  Jozwiak

Subs- Roos, Te Wierik, Fozzy, Bielik, Shinnie, Holmes, Rooney, Whittaker, Lawrence 

8 hours ago, Rev said:

That, but Whittaker instead of Kazim Richards.

Do you think Whittaker would be able to play the CF role? I feel he's still reasonably lightweight & also seems to prefer the flank...risk of him being a little like Waghorn in drifting away from central areas. CKR will unashamedly occupy that central area and look to hold the ball. Less finesse & unpredictability I accept.

8 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Marshall

Byrne 

Clarke 

Wiz

Buchanan 

Beliek 

Knight 

Sibley 

Lawrence 

Rooney 

Jozwiak

If we’re playing 433 play Rooney up top. Waggy struggles to bring people into play and Rooney is smart enough to do it with runners around him, Cocu played him there earlier in the season and he looked okay there. Get Beliek back in for a bit of steele in the middle of the park and then Sibley and Knight to run all day long. Lots of pace and energy in that side. 

That team, but Ibe for Rooney if he is fit....

13 hours ago, Wignall12 said:

Plus their ground STINKS of chemical factory 

It's the most depressing walk up to an away game in this league, imo.

At least we drive out of it at full time. Imagine living there? I always feel sorry for the Middlesbrough fans. They seem a decent lot.

And their owner's pretty rubbish too.

At least they have a far superior league position to look down on us from this season.

Marshall

Byrne          Wisdom               Clarke         Buchanan

Bird
Knight              Sibley

Lawrence                                                             Jozwiak

STRETTON

Play the ducking kid who is the top goalscorer at the club this season. The movement in the final third is tragic and at this point what on earth do we have to lose? 1 goal from open play this season in the league. 12 games. I'm more embarrassed about that than the fact we had 11 points in an entire season. 

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Do you think Whittaker would be able to play the CF role? I feel he's still reasonably lightweight & also seems to prefer the flank...risk of him being a little like Waghorn in drifting away from central areas. CKR will unashamedly occupy that central area and look to hold the ball. Less finesse & unpredictability I accept.

Ultimately that’s his position 

On 21/11/2020 at 20:15, Chris_Martin said:

After the Bristol game, i would go with this line up for wednesday. 

image.png.f3cf6777e735ccbf2f80628c24c8c7c7.png

Subs: Roos, Forsyth, Davies, Rooney, Shinnie, Bielik, Lawrence, Hector-Ingram, Whittaker

Jozwiak has to come back in and drop Lawrence he's been out of form for several games now.

Kazim up front but could easily go Hector-Ingram aswell and move Waghorn out wide.

Stop playing Knight out of position he is so much more effective in the middle. 

Bird had a good game in DM but not sure how he would cope in a one rather than 2 DM

Would give Holmes another chance but hard to leave out Shinnie this season. 

Rooney to the bench. He's great at pinging the passes round but its clear that his legs have gone after 55-60min. Maybe more of a sub now at his age.

I agree that this is probably our strongest lineup. And the Rooney omission is fair, I do not feel he has played a big role in our football on the pitch recently. You really felt his impact last season, but this season his impact has diminished on the pitch. I am also unhappy with his attempts to manage our club. I wish for an experience manager with the profile needed to help us avoid relegation.

If Boro play like a usual Colin team CKR will be meat and drink to them. Whittaker's movement in a fluid front three may give them more problems.

Maybe for this specific game, given the situation it would be a risk, but eventually we have to give Morgan a decent run of games and see if he can step up. 

I think he'll be a very good forward, I wouldn't want to see him develop into that elsewhere through lack of opportunity.

In a word, No.   He is way too lightweight and only reason he's looked decent when he's played is because there is more time & space out wide. 

Personally i would play Kazim-Richards. I understand his limitations but playing him at least you know he will win things in the air, battle for everything, hold the ball up, and more importantly, he will not drift out wide like waghorn has been doing. He will stay in the centre and keep the opposition CB's occupied. This should create more space for our other players to flourish. Just need them to remember how to shoot now?

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

If Boro play like a usual Colin team CKR will be meat and drink to them. Whittaker's movement in a fluid front three may give them more problems.

Maybe for this specific game, given the situation it would be a risk, but eventually we have to give Morgan a decent run of games and see if he can step up. 

I think he'll be a very good forward, I wouldn't want to see him develop into that elsewhere through lack of opportunity.

think it might be the other way round. Whittaker would get absolutely bullied against a Warnock team. Potentially ruining what little confidence he has left. Kazim-Richards would at least give them a battle.

On 21/11/2020 at 20:15, Chris_Martin said:

After the Bristol game, i would go with this line up for wednesday. 

image.png.f3cf6777e735ccbf2f80628c24c8c7c7.png

Subs: Roos, Forsyth, Davies, Rooney, Shinnie, Bielik, Lawrence, Hector-Ingram, Whittaker

Jozwiak has to come back in and drop Lawrence he's been out of form for several games now.

Kazim up front but could easily go Hector-Ingram aswell and move Waghorn out wide.

Stop playing Knight out of position he is so much more effective in the middle. 

Bird had a good game in DM but not sure how he would cope in a one rather than 2 DM

Would give Holmes another chance but hard to leave out Shinnie this season. 

Rooney to the bench. He's great at pinging the passes round but its clear that his legs have gone after 55-60min. Maybe more of a sub now at his age.

I'd go for that too,let's see kazim play the target and hold up man in a 4-3-3 and get some overload in the box .....I really think that we might have a chance with that line up.

Lawrence needs a break to get his head back on.

Id much rather us play Sibley than Holmes, Holmes will get you 4 goals a season on a good year he can't finish his dinner and is league 1 quality apart from the odd good game once in a blue moon similar to Lawrence, where as Sibley will get you about 12 goals a season, and is just a more talented player and someone who we should build around, at the moment he's just a depreciating asset loosing match sharpness on the bench. 

Archived