Middlesbrough v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Chris_Martin

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Masrshall

Byrne

Wisdom

Clarke

Buchanan 

Rooney 

knight

Bird

Jozwaik

JHI

Waghorn

Waghorn out wide his better position , give JHI a chance up top, we need goals he may provide them, knight back in CM.

Drop Lawrence and Holmes both been awful in the final third 

Totally done with Lawrence.  Never been his biggest fan whilst accepting he has the odd very good game .  For instance against Forest he was very good and put a proper performance in.  That was it and since then he's had two right feet and the normal invisibility in every second half .  He's been carried by the better teams we had in years gone by.  Now his shortcomings are really shining through.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall

Byrne        Wisdom    Clarke       Buchanan

Bielik        Shinnie

Whittaker      Knight         Joswiak

Kazim

(Roos, Davies, Bird, Rooney, Sibley, Lawrence, Waghorn, Hector-Ingram, Duncan)

The way to get out of this mess is to change system to a 4-4-2. Presently we are getting crosses in but no one there to finish.

I think it is time to try someone different and get two up top, it is worth a go, can't be any worse than it is now.

So my team for Wednesday would be.

Marshall

Byrne        Wisdom        Clarke       Buchanan

Waghorn      Knight       Shinnie      Jozwiak 

Kazim-Richards     Hector-Ingram

Subs:- Roos, Davies, Te Wierik, Rooney, Bielik, Lawrence, Bird, Whittaker, Sibley

Do people know why Kazim-Richards wasn't even on the bench yesterday?

20 players and he wasn't listed. Isn't a good sign. 

Yes he offers an alternative, but can we please acknowledge the circumstances. He's a proper journeyman. Had perhaps one season of note. Barely played any football consecutively in his career, hasn't got a good goalscoring record. Isn't known to be a hold up player that gets assists and he's 34. 

Can a player like this play 4 games in the space of 11 or so games? Can he have an impact too? 

Doesn't look great. 

16 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Offer some analysis and insight armchair. Worst critic is someone who offers no alternative points. 

Yeah, soz, was still wiping the coffee off my sweatshirt.

Fact is, we need to get more bodies into the box. Our crossing was woeful yesterday but we did fizz a couple across the 6 yard line but nobody is making those runs. We played Waggy as a 9 but his strengths are better served wide right. Sibley is not a 9 or a false 9. He's an 8 or maybe a 10. You're taking our prime weakness in attack and effectively doubling-down on it. That's why folk are taking the piss.

Given we are reasonably adept at retaining possession and relatively settled in defence, the more obvious move would be to play two upfront not 0.5, if anything. We simply have to start scoring goals and until we have Ibe, Bielik and Jozzy in the side, settled and fit, we kinda have to adopt a higher risk profile. If that means committing more bodies in attack, so be it. I'd rather us lose actually trying to win games, than lose trying not to give them away.

Also. the sides you've cited as examples of teams prospering using a 'false 9' as you like to call it, had goals all over the pitch. You make out we do, with your 'we have the right personnel' line, but that's utter bolarks. We don't have goals anywhere right now, save from set pieces. Anyway, apart from all of that, your plan is wonderful, if that's what you wanted to hear?

Also, and in all honesty, I was laughing at your petty jibe at someone who pulled you up as much I was your suggested line-up, so there's that...

12 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yeah, soz, was still wiping the coffee off my sweatshirt.

Fact is, we need to get more bodies into the box. Our crossing was woeful yesterday but we did fizz a couple across the 6 yard line but nobody is making those runs. We played Waggy as a 9 but his strengths are better served wide right. Sibley is not a 9 or a false 9. He's an 8 or maybe a 10. You're taking our prime weakness in attack and effectively doubling-down on it. That's why folk are taking the piss.

Given we are reasonably adept at retaining possession and relatively settled in defence, the more obvious move would be to play two upfront not 0.5, if anything. We simply have to start scoring goals and until we have Ibe, Bielik and Jozzy in the side, settled and fit, we kinda have to adopt a higher risk profile. If that means committing more bodies in attack, so be it. I'd rather us lose actually trying to win games, than lose trying not to give them away.

Also. the sides you've cited as examples of teams prospering using a 'false 9' as you like to call it, had goals all over the pitch. You make out we do, with your 'we have the right personnel' line, but that's utter bolarks. We don't have goals anywhere right now, save from set pieces. Anyway, apart from all of that, your plan is wonderful, if that's what you wanted to hear?

Also, and in all honesty, I was laughing at your petty jibe at someone who pulled you up as much I was your suggested line-up, so there's that...

To allow for this to happen we need to make two changes. Our ability to turn defending into attack instantly with countering. We haven't played this way for some time. It means having 2 or 3 players who's positioning is to attack, even as we defend in or on the edge of our own box. 

The second thing would be our CM(s). They have to play much higher and take more risks. Running into the space, making  a forward pass that the opposition might steal. But if they do, position themselves such that they can't breakout, keeping them in the final third whilst the attacking players get the ball back asap. 

Much of this is how McClaren used to set us up. 

Sibley plays between the lines. Even yesterday he would float into that space naturally. Importantly his stance is different compared with players like Waghorn or Rooney. He's ready to exploit the 5-10 yards of space in front of him. He then does exactly what defenders hate, he can either take them on or shoot from outside of the box. 

As an even more effective false 9, playing between the lines, he draws players out of position. So as Jozwaik and Whiticker play the ball into him, they look for that one two pass, if they get it, they play the ball across the goal, for the other forward at the back post. 

The likes of Kazim-Richards don't suit the way we play/ want to play or the players we have. Far too one dimensional. Back to goal, merely as a target man for others to recieve the ball off isn't going to cut it. 

Sibley offers that versatility and options. But the most important point I'd make is we'd have a front 3 who can  naturally play in each others position. Which is when the false 9 is most effective. As one drifts toward the middle, the one playing in the middle creates the space, running into the wide position, allowing space for a shot or a through ball. If a through ball, a shot or cross to the other forward at the back post. 

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

Sorry my knowledge of the game is superior to yours ??

Thats maybe so mate , but your team in my opinion has a few flaws , i agree Knight back in the middle and Jozwiak back if fit , the ones i dont agree with are Whittaker starting , this lad still needs time , impact sub for me , Sibley i dont feel is mature or strong enough to play up top , Hector Ingram for me with Waggy wide right , Bielik we are told isnt fit , Shinnie back for me , and finally i wouldnt break up the Wiz and Clarke pairing , thought they did well yesterday

8 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Thats maybe so mate , but your team in my opinion has a few flaws , i agree Knight back in the middle and Jozwiak back if fit , the ones i dont agree with are Whittaker starting , this lad still needs time , impact sub for me , Sibley i dont feel is mature or strong enough to play up top , Hector Ingram for me with Waggy wide right , Bielik we are told isnt fit , Shinnie back for me , and finally i wouldnt break up the Wiz and Clarke pairing , thought they did well yesterday

We need a natural leader on the pitch. That is Curtis Davies. An unfit Bielik has better legs than Rooney. 5 subs, goes off when his legs can't move anymore. That excuse they gave to us yesterday does not cut it when we factor in the new subs rule. 

Whiticker for me is going from strength to strength. He's exactly like Buchanan. Just needs a few consecutive games. The amount of people who were saying he wasn't good enough, now saying what a player. The signs were always there. Same with Whiticker. Looks to take players on, draws in a few defenders sometimes, can shoot, proven goalscorer outside of the first team and a physical presence. When he adds another 10lbs of muscle, defenders are going to hate him. 

Sibley is merely the one I'd give the opportunity to first. Does he start every game in that position and play every minute, no. But it's time to start moulding him into the player he is on my view. 

We won't get relegated. We aren't making the play offs. Therefore I'd like players such as Sibley to be given the opportunity, playing 10 games in that role versus Kazim-Richards who won't be here next season, Rooney who won't be on the pitch next season and Waghorn (much as I like him) who also looks likely to have his contract extended a season to then be sold. 

Same with Bird and Knight over Shinnie and Holmes. Those two lads are the future. 

18 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

We need a natural leader on the pitch. That is Curtis Davies. An unfit Bielik has better legs than Rooney. 5 subs, goes off when his legs can't move anymore. That excuse they gave to us yesterday does not cut it when we factor in the new subs rule. 

Whiticker for me is going from strength to strength. He's exactly like Buchanan. Just needs a few consecutive games. The amount of people who were saying he wasn't good enough, now saying what a player. The signs were always there. Same with Whiticker. Looks to take players on, draws in a few defenders sometimes, can shoot, proven goalscorer outside of the first team and a physical presence. When he adds another 10lbs of muscle, defenders are going to hate him. 

Sibley is merely the one I'd give the opportunity to first. Does he start every game in that position and play every minute, no. But it's time to start moulding him into the player he is on my view. 

We won't get relegated. We aren't making the play offs. Therefore I'd like players such as Sibley to be given the opportunity, playing 10 games in that role versus Kazim-Richards who won't be here next season, Rooney who won't be on the pitch next season and Waghorn (much as I like him) who also looks likely to have his contract extended a season to then be sold. 

Same with Bird and Knight over Shinnie and Holmes. Those two lads are the future. 

You provide a good argument mate and stand by your opinion , i applaud you for that , but i also stick to mine , at that end of the day its what the management committee decides that matters , have a feeling it will be a mixture of both our opinions , COYR

Archived