Abu Derby County

tinman

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I was in Tromsø for the first time last year and hopped on the bus from the airport into the city. It was winter so you could see the sense that the Norwegians would tunnel through the mountain to avoid the weather extremes. What I hadn't expected was to find roundabouts inside the tunnel with roads going off everywhere. Amazing infrastructure. And everywhere I went (very remote arctic countryside) there was always high-speed 4G on my phone. Are there any wealthy Norwegians to invest in the club?

Was in Norway last year on a Cruise. You need serious money to buy anything there. Their policy on growing trees is light years ahead.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be completely wrong and someone, please correct me if you can't do this. But for some reason, I can see the owner buying Derby for £1 or whatever, but buy the stadium, training ground and whatever loans we still have to pay off. 

Can we buy the stadium back and will that set us back £80m (or whatever we would buy the stadium back for)?

4 minutes ago, harwich ram said:

I don't really  care who owns us it's a results  business  and as long as Derby are winning games  and hopefully in the premiership  and Europe  I couldn't care less I go to watch Derby win  my thoughts only before I get jumped on 

When?

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

The problem with this is staying competitive whilst being financially sound. Especially with the FFP cycles. 

I honestly believe the appointment of Cocu was Mel trying to do the right thing. I love the vision behind it. Sadly I believe it has taken too long to realise this and previous blunders have come back to bite us. Regardless of your opinion on Cocu, the team is better placed now moving forward.

I am not sure any manager, any owner would buy into your idea.

On paper, the appointment of Cocu was a coup. Sadly the dutch methodology appears to be nullified in English football. 

When you look at the finances, Mel and ultimately Derby wasted money on backing new managers and sacking managers. 

You could argue that had he not been trigger happy in 2015, we wouldn’t be struggling financially now. 

You could argue that we SHOULD be competitive right now. 

I would argue that if Cocu can get us top half by mid-December, there’s a case for no change in either board level or coaching setup. Which would hopefully lead us through FFP into the other side. 

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Putting who he is or what his connections are to one side for the moment, I'm conflicted. Before I say the following these views are my own and I don't judge those who are getting excited at the possibilities, I completely get it.

Personally I find the idea that Mel Morris laid out to be immensely appealing i.e. building towards a team that is heavily fueled by it's academy and uses the academy judiciously in order to forward the club whilst aiming to be a good footballing team. Essentially what Southampton did. In my view, executed properly it would be a stable means of growing the club that meant we weren't overly reliant on continuous investment. Also I will admit I really do find the idea of going up the "hard" way like what is outlined above appealing but I am coming from the viewpoint that journey matters more than the destination because ultimately it's very unlikely we ever challenge for winning the premiership.

A large part of me doesn't want to become a club that just throws money around willy nilly with a chairman that demands instant success especially if it comes at the cost of some of the talented academy lads not getting their chance. It'd feel shallow if the success came and if it doesn't it could risk the health of the club especially if the new owner gets bored. I've been critical of Mel Morris on occassion but I've never once doubted that he wasn't doing what he thought was the best for the club and doing everything he could to move us forward.

On the other hand judicious investment used well to compliment how the academy develops would greatly accelerate how quickly we can move forward and how far we can go. Thinking to the summer and with a bit of extra laying around we almost certainly get a striker in.

If it goes through it remains to be seen how the new owner will set his stall. My hope is that MM has done his homework and it's someone who's a good fit. I'm just wary about the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I’d rather us ride this out with Mel, and make better decisions. Employ managers who can get teams to overachieve. 

Id rather us be competitive in the championship, as we have in last 5/6 years, than be a Crystal Palace fighting relegation and being boring every season. 

Fans get no benefit financially being in the PL. I’m not interested in seeing opposition world class players drubbing us either. 

There is a right way of doing it, I’d hoped Mel would finally suss it. 

Ive never called for big spending. I’m all for good coaching and motivating, as they will bring success, whereas spending doesn’t. 

I agree with both of the above.

Mel's big idea was to be promoted as a result of a rising tide of performance, almost a side effect of investment rather than the ultimate aim. I'd still give Cocu time to see if this can work, rather than going all out for success at all costs.

48 minutes ago, harwich ram said:

I don't really  care who owns us it's a results  business  and as long as Derby are winning games  and hopefully in the premiership  and Europe  I couldn't care less I go to watch Derby win  my thoughts only before I get jumped on 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I was in Tromsø for the first time last year and hopped on the bus from the airport into the city. It was winter so you could see the sense that the Norwegians would tunnel through the mountain to avoid the weather extremes. What I hadn't expected was to find roundabouts inside the tunnel with roads going off everywhere. Amazing infrastructure. And everywhere I went (very remote arctic countryside) there was always high-speed 4G on my phone. Are there any wealthy Norwegians to invest in the club?

That's nothing. Leaving Derby City centre the other night, I saw a couple of highways maintenance workers putting some cones out, and threatening to return the next day to fill in some potholes (maybe) ?

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

On paper, the appointment of Cocu was a coup. Sadly the dutch methodology appears to be nullified in English football. 

When you look at the finances, Mel and ultimately Derby wasted money on backing new managers and sacking managers. 

You could argue that had he not been trigger happy in 2015, we wouldn’t be struggling financially now. 

You could argue that we SHOULD be competitive right now. 

I would argue that if Cocu can get us top half by mid-December, there’s a case for no change in either board level or coaching setup. Which would hopefully lead us through FFP into the other side. 

Agree with most  of that. It would be wonderful to see Mel and Cocu get the rewards, this season being that strangely difficult second album. I believe a similar position to last season is acceptable but I think we will then be well placed to push on after that.

This to me is a better the devil you know situation. 

Just now, DanS1992 said:

In some cases and countries unfortunately it is (South America is a fine example). Long gone are the days in the UK that football is political (bar a few very specific exemptions Forest Green comes to mind, even though it is more ideological than political). I for one like to disassociate football from politics. Both combined turns people into quite unpleasant animals.

25 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Can we stick on the subject and not keep going off at political and other tangents please or we’ll have to lock the thread until further news emerges.

thankyouplease.

That's a bit difficult when the main reason people are opposing this takeover is because of his politics, though, right?

Even a balanced argument, weighing up the pros and cons, ends up leading you back to politics with this one ?

23 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

That's a bit difficult when the main reason people are opposing this takeover is because of his politics, though, right?

Even a balanced argument, weighing up the pros and cons, ends up leading you back to politics with this one ?

Maybe just stick to the issues surrounding the potential new owners.

43 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Quite - Politics inherent to this, we've already seen a gay poster who said they'll walk away if these guys get involved, how can we ignore this? On another note, it amazes me how fearful people are of debate and disagreement, it's life, live with it.

FWIW I am somewhat unhappy with people from that regime being involved with our club, especially so if it makes some of our fans so deeply uncomfortable.

3 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Quite - Politics inherent to this, we've already seen a gay poster who said they'll walk away if these guys get involved, how can we ignore this? On another note, it amazes me how fearful people are of debate and disagreement, it's life, live with it.

FWIW I am somewhat unhappy with people from that regime being involved with our club, especially so if it makes some of our fans so deeply uncomfortable.

Totally understand where you're coming from.

I'm just trying to make that point that asking people not to mention the politics of the new owners in a discussion thread about them taking over our club takes away a huge part of that debate, and surely something that is very, very important to some posters on here, like the one you mention.

Archived