Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Not for me, club needs and entirely stripping. Mel’s heart is in the club, but let’s be honest, he’s took us from a club bordering top 2, to bottom of the league. 

This farcical idea of a team full of under 23s also need scrapping!

The club doesn’t need stripping, we’ve had a poor start to the season no denying that, but there are plenty of games left to turn this season around. 

Just because we are bottom now, doesn’t mean that’s our final destination, start looking at the league table after Christmas.

Following the Pearson disaster, we’ve been to Wembley and was 45 minutes away from making it 2 trips. Not suggesting we will make it that far this year, just that this doesn’t have to be the end.

If it was, and Mel walked away leaving us bottom of the table that would be an incredibly sad and undeserved way to depart.

Becoming self sufficient and bringing through players such as Knight, Sibley and Bird is anything but farcical. 

Nor is keeping 2 men that have been around for a few years now, made mistakes, learnt from them and more importantly know the game. 

The last thing we need is someone new to the game rolling into the town starting from scratch and that was a big concern for me, one that prevented me from getting carried away like others have.

I really hope this is true, best news so far with the takeover. I accept others will disagree, that’s fine, we all have our opinions but as I say, for me this is great news.

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Would definitely make me feel better knowing Mel is still involved in some sort of advisory capacity. Could to have someone in there who knows the club top to bottom, knows the fanbase and, most importantly, supports us!

I want him gone 

55 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Only problem is that one man's 'exciting' is another man's 'meh....' - the media are hugely excitied that Rooney could get it - the fans in general simply don't want him. All a matter of perspective...

May I be the first (I think) to say, your avatar is the best on here.

27 minutes ago, David said:

The club doesn’t need stripping, we’ve had a poor start to the season no denying that, but there are plenty of games left to turn this season around. 

Just because we are bottom now, doesn’t mean that’s our final destination, start looking at the league table after Christmas.

Following the Pearson disaster, we’ve been to Wembley and was 45 minutes away from making it 2 trips. Not suggesting we will make it that far this year, just that this doesn’t have to be the end.

If it was, and Mel walked away leaving us bottom of the table that would be an incredibly sad and undeserved way to depart.

Becoming self sufficient and bringing through players such as Knight, Sibley and Bird is anything but farcical. 

Nor is keeping 2 men that have been around for a few years now, made mistakes, learnt from them and more importantly know the game. 

The last thing we need is someone new to the game rolling into the town starting from scratch and that was a big concern for me, one that prevented me from getting carried away like others have.

I really hope this is true, best news so far with the takeover. I accept others will disagree, that’s fine, we all have our opinions but as I say, for me this is great news.

I reiterate after the way Cocu has been treated I want him gone. 

No disrespect but that’s my opinion  

26 minutes ago, David said:

OK. But as Villa and Wolves have shown us, you need PL standard players to have a really good chance of getting out of the Championship. If we went up with this team we'd be in danger of breaking our own record     

What’s the point in Mel sticking around? particularly in another decision making capacity, I don’t get it? He’s tried, he’s failed and we need a change of direction and fresh ideas. Surely the new owners could hire an experienced DOF? 

My major, major concern is player recruitment, it’s an area Mel has never addressed and it’s been an absolute car crash throughout his tenure. Millions spent on overpriced dross, countless times of watching young, talented and reasonably priced players heading to other clubs and doing the business (Ollie Watkins anyone?)

If this means it’s just Mel making decisions with someone else’s money then I’ll guarantee we’ll still be stuck in the same old championship merry go round for years to come, probably with another giant wage bill, and a failed succession of managers. 

Just let it go Mel 

While I agree that MM has some large culpability for what happened with FFP and therefore current squad position, I would argue that the experience he has picked up through these tricky times would be very helpful to the new owners who have never run a football team let alone in the championship.

Saying “I want him gone” would imply anyone could do a better job, when this can’t be true.

(If we could get a better football administrator to help the new owners I would be ok with this at also. Who would it be though..?)

9 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

OK. But as Villa and Wolves have shown us, you need PL standard players to have a really good chance of getting out of the Championship. If we went up with this team we'd be in danger of breaking our own record     

We would have a transfer window to strengthen though, it’s not as if we would be sticking with the same team.

I don’t believe for a second we have a strict rule in place where X amount of academy players must be in the team regardless of ability. 

Those that have stepped up were given a chance and impressed, Jason Knight for example is one of the first names on the team sheet and now representing his country at senior level. 

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I know, imagine the outrage. Sacked just because we're bottom of the table - below a team that got points docked. The whole football management game is unfair.

I honestly thought that this departure wouldn’t be one that is questioned.

Many wanted nothing more than him to succeed but as the weeks went on, you felt less confident he could turn it around. 

Unless I’ve missed something, it’s been the best parting of ways we have seen for a long time. No snide remarks from Cocu, the club Twitter account sharing his message, love hearts the lot, even took a reduced settlement. 

Not seeing a manager being poorly treated at all here.

Does anyone actually have any insight in to how much involvement Mel had with transfers? Did he defer to the supposed greater footballing knowledge of the manager, scouting team, coaches, etc. Or did he trawl through Football manager, close his eyes and point at the screen? For me the manager and scouting team should shoulder most of the blame... yes Mel made those appointments so is ultimately responsible but surely he leans on those 'industry specific experts' and opens his cheque book based on their recommendation?

I see this criticism a lot but can we really blame Mel for buying he wrong players?

... genuine question.. 

Archived